1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken fuel line spraying. Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JoeVR, May 19, 2023.

1. JoeVR

JoeVR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everybody

My parents’ 2008 Prius started spraying a steady mist of gasoline underneath the car from one of the fuel lines. I’m not sure if it is a supply or a return line, but it appears that something must have kicked up and shaved off one of the 90-degree fittings of the line coming from the fuel pump.

has this happened to anybody before? I read about this in the Prius C forum, but if anyone has any suggestions on the Gen 2, I would welcome them. It looks like I may need to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel line - is that correct? Does anyone have a part number?

Any help, guidance, suggestions, or support would be so appreciated! I attached two photos. It is the 90-degree fitting with an orange retainer clip. It looks like whatever was run over chewed the corner off and that is what was causing the spray.

Thank you all so much.

Attached Files:

2. JoeVR

JoeVR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

Quick correction - it is actually a 2006 Prius.

Thank you all!

Joe

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Attached is the fuel system chapter from 2nd gen Repair Manual. Good luck with your repair.

Attached Files:

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That looks like rodent damage. A squirrel or something comes along and decided that's a nice "twig" to gnaw on. FYI, that's the only line with liquid fuel in it. Everything else is for fuel vapor management.

Yes, the tank needs to come down, at least partway. You MIGHT be able to reach the connection at the top of the tank through the wiring access "hatch" under the rear seat, but there's clips securing the line in place on the tank.

Go to autoparts.Toyota.com and enter your vehicle info. Then enter "fuel line" into the search window. It looks like it is # 77204C on the fuel tank diagram- one of the results should have the complete part number.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.