1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken hatch door - garnish piece

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mcslain, May 20, 2016.

1. mcslain

mcslain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the dead cold of winter I went to open the hatch of my 2005 Prius and the piece just snapped in half. I think it was the cold that weakened the piece, but maybe I don't know my own strength? Regardless, I clearly need to replace the entire piece. The replacements I see online tend to all have wiring in them and cost around $300. My question is, do I need the complete piece with wiring because everything electronics wise seems to still work. I am hoping there is a cheaper option to just by the plastic part, or the garnish as Toyota calls it. Any pointers as to where to get a good deal on this would be appreciated. It is an old car and this issue is just an annoyance, so I'm trying not to spend a nice chunk of change here.

Thanks
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Would epoxy on the contact points hold?

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I looked into this issue somewhat when I had to replace the electronic locking mechanism that is INSIDE the Garnish.

Quick answer is yes, you can just replace the garnish, junkyard would probably be your cheapest option, but do not be afraid to call or visit (visit would probably be most productive, although a PITA) an area Toyota parts counter.

My local Toyota dealer has grudgingly begun matching online prices for me....and if there is a problem, such as there was when I replaced the hatch lock, they dealt with it quickly for me.

#3 Stevewoods, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016