1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken-hearted: Lost my Prius Prime Opportunity

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by AngelaHeartsPriusPrime, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The biggest mistake you made was violating a simple rule - don't buy something you can't afford to pay for.

The second mistake was believing that prayer has a tangible effect in the real world.

My suggestion would be to save your money until you have enough to buy the car you want outright plus 12 months of all your expenses before making another big purchase.

dcantat likes this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Amen, brother !! (Oops)

And yes, that means that you probably will go through 3 or 4 "beaters" before you can save up enough.

With extended payment plans these days, after 5 years you might end up paying TWICE the listed price for a car.
    If that is indeed the situation, you can "pay yourself" that same amount and be able to pay cash after about 2 1/2 years.

3. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ok look, the Prime is a pretty good car, but listen to me when I say you are not missing out on that much. Enjoy your Corolla, it'll be a very functional and great car, too. Besides, you can get the next iteration of the Prime. It's like that girl/boy you're infatuated with in 9th grade and then a year later you look back and wonder how you were so enamored with that person.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    folks, the o/p isn't coming back, and the original post is debatable

dcantat likes this.
  5. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can't beileve all these people telling you it is just emotional and to get over it and just live with the Corolla until it dies. If we all bought cars just based off of pure logic we'd be driving 15 year old Toyota Tercels. So how many of you 'just get over it' people are driving Toyota Tercels? I didn't think so.

Sure you can't go backwards, but you can go forwards--toward the car you very clearly want.

I'm not surprised she hasn't responded. No one here is offering her any help--just bad advice.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how can you do that with a limited budget? trading in a new car for a new car is a major financial hit, historically

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well you can't always HAVE what you want.
    And that is just YOUR opinion.
    Based on a LOT of experience and good common sense, it is NOT bad advice.

8. AngelaHeartsPriusPrime

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I stated, this was something quite unusual and unconventional for me—call it a moment of great weakness, which could happen to anyone. I guess you skipped that part of my narrative and decided to judge instead. Pff. And actually, I used my head and not my heart to make the decision, which is the very point of my post. Seems you missed that also. How sad. It was all the weaknesses of the Prime that scared me, not it’s streghths. I used my logic that a simpler, less controversial car would be best. Had I used my heart (emotions), I would’ve cared less about the weaknesses.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sell it, and give to the poor

jaqueh likes this.
  10. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We're being trolled here. There is no way you can pay ~$35K for that Corolla. It's simply not possible unless the dealer added on some sort of massive dealer markup... like a $6K markup. Are we supposed to believe that she's that gullible?

And BTW, if we're truly to believe this happened, she says this like she went back and bought this crazily-marked-up Corolla from the same dealer that treated her like crap on the Prime deal. Are we really supposed to buy this?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sell

i got it up to $28,600. plus ttl

#31 bisco, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  12. AngelaHeartsPriusPrime

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello CitiPrius. THANK YOU! This is exactly what I needed/wanted to hear from someone in this forum! I am looking into this very thing and see if I can do it. I cannot stop thinking about the Prime and I truly am not enjoying the Corolla because it wastes gasoline so much. I am barely getting 24-25 mpg in the city. I can't deal with it. Also thank you FOR NOT JUDGING ME HARSHLY as others here have--thank you! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's made mistakes when it comes to choosing cars. I don't mind breaking even, or even losing a bit of money (I cannot lose too much though), as long as I end up with what I really love. Yes, I am going to start working on the numbers again tonight and not just settle for what the dealership here wants me to do. There's lots of other dealerships elsewhere. I will contact the one you mention below and see what they are willing to do for me. You have been a God-sent! God bless you! Thank you! I truly cannot thank you enough! -- Angela.

Thanks, but no thanks. Cannot go through a repo and risk my credit and my job clearance. Part of the price includes an 8-year warranty that I can cancel and transfer to another car. I can recover some of the accessories also. I should not have financed the options, I grant you that. I am trying to see how I can fix this in a way that I don't lose money. We'll see. You are correct that most car dealerships are so slimy, especially here in the state I live in. And I felt tremendous pressure because my VW had just been returned to the dealership. Anyway, I don't need to justify myself, but to say that I realized my own mistakes two days later. Can happen to anyone, believe me, especially when it comes to vehicles. Thanks again.

Hi Viperman92. I am not comfortable posting that here because others will tear me apart and I don't need more condemnation and judgment. Is there an email I can send you the sheet to? I would really welcome your help/advice. Please let me know if that would work for you. I have a clearance and am an engineer--a totally decent woman with great integrity. let me know if you'd be comfortable with an email. Thanks so much for giving me hope. I'll check with Carvana also.\

Difficult to believe? Why is that? I can assure you that it's as real as the words you are reading here. I am a person of integrity that would never make up something like this.

#32 AngelaHeartsPriusPrime, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2019
    citiprius likes this.
  13. AngelaHeartsPriusPrime

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. not at all. It's all true. However, I don't with to expand on all the details some people want me to show. That's simply not the point. I am still trying to see how I can right this wrong, believe me. I think that most people have missed my main point. And it definitely is not how I could load up a car as much. People are missing many things, including the main point of my story. Sad really.

The dealership still has the car. I didn't want to take a photo though since I was never alone with the car. They took it into a room all by itself. I went back to the dealership last week and they are very bitter about making the decision to paint it. They realize that they should have returned it to the dealership that it had come from. It was just an hour away.

Viperman92. I am brand new here. is there a way to send members private messages here? I don't know if that is possible, but if it is, I would be happy to send you my sales sheet and explain it in more detail. I assure you that what I wrote is 100% true. I work for a government contractor, am an engineer, an a very honest Christian woman. I would really appreciate a second look at my sheet, but not to tell me where I messed up, but to help me see if I could still right this wrong and get myself a Prius Prime. Please let me know if either a private message or an email would work for you. Thank you very much.

Bisco, I just want to add that this type of thing happens more often that you may realize. The difference is that few people have the courage to write out their failures as I have done here. But I strongly believe that discussing our failures lead to future success. Transparency like this can help others not make the same mistakes I made. That is why I decided to write about it.

Yep. I paid too much for it. I understand that now.

The one I purchased was top trim at 27, 300. The lower trims sell cheaper. I also bought an 8-year extended warranty for it and loaded it. Yep, I made several mistakes, no question there.

#33 AngelaHeartsPriusPrime, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2019
  14. AngelaHeartsPriusPrime

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not all accessories. It was tax, an extended warranty, state fees, etc. But yes, very hard to believe. I definitely did not do things well at all. I've come to understand the multiple huge mistakes I made. Appreciate your encouragement regarding the Corolla. I definitely hope this one holds its value well. I also take excellent care of my cars.

15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are thinking of trading your Carolla, the first thing you should do is to cancel this and get a full refund. If it is from Toyota dealer, it has 30 days full refund cooling off period. After that, you can still get a refund but prorated. You probably paid way too much on this.

16. AngelaHeartsPriusPrime

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Salamanadr_King. It does look beautiful. I will take some photos of it this weekend now that they added the tints on the windows, spoiler, etc. The car was 27,300 but with taxes, fees, an extended warranty and accessories it came up to $35.000. That's the second big mistake I made, to finance the options instead of paying for them separately. The car does drive great though and feels sporty to me. I'm getting used to it after driving a Diesel TDI for 5 years though. I miss the power and fuel economy of Diesel, although I did not buy this car to drive fast in it. It's not its mission. -- May I ask you, why would you trade your Prime for my Corolla Hatch? You're the 2nd person to say that to me. Do you wish you had a simpler car? I do like my 2019 infotainment and Apple Car Play. I'm not much about infotainment while I'm driving, but it's really nice to have the additional apps. I also love the visibility and how it corners. It handles like a dream, really. I can park just about anywhere and the feel of it hugging the road is awesome. I put snow tires on it (18") and they are rubbery and soft, so the driving just got quieter. I'm trying to bond with it, like I did my Sportswagen. I have named it NightStar, and that's a good start. I am fond of the little guy. It's just not what was in my heart of hearts. I wrote the post so others wouldn't do what I did. Thanks for your kindness and comforting words. I much appreciate your thoughtful comments. Blessings to you on this 2019.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...I can TRY to simplify...
    Wanted a Prius Prime...
    Got one, but for reasons beyond the OP's control, that deal got messed up.
    Given the Dealerships refusal to order another one...and perhaps some momentary personal doubt about the Prius Prime.
    OP ends up buying a $35,000 Toyota Corolla Hatch.

Now realizes payed too much for the Corolla, and REALLY, REALLY wanted a Prius Prime.

I have no easy answer for this situation.
    There are lawyers that specialize in this area. It might be worth it to have a consultation and see if they think anything can be done.
    Worst Case, you are out the cost of the consultation, but then can relax knowing there really is nothing you can do.
    Best Case....there is something that can be done. ( Not versed enough in consumer law to know myself ).

If it makes you feel any better, you're probably not the only person to pay too much for a vehicle and also not get what they really wanted.

If absolutely nothing can be done?
    Seems you end up with a top of the line, very best possible Toyota Corolla Hatch...with an 8 year warranty.
    It could be worse.

#37 The Electric Me, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is actually good time to teach yourself a life lesson. stick with the corolla (nice looking car imo) until you can get out from under.
    thanks for the warning for others. i think the o/p was just too long and complicated to get your message across.
    from the religious side, i'd rather discuss that in private. but think you should consult with some type of mentor before interpreting the tea leaves

19. Rieuk

Rieuk Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Okay, I don't think anyone here honestly is saying that it is crazy to have a dream car that you'd get no matter what. *However* if you're going to get crazy about a particular car, it is kind of weird to do it with a Prime. It's a good PHEV and even better, it has a nice price tag. But it is, by almost all accounts, not a great looking car. The corolla might even look better (barely). If you're going to get head over heels for a car it would be for at least, an objectively very nice looking car that excels in some particular trait. Say, a model 3. But a prime? It just sounds like some weird fetish.

Just my 2c.

AngelaHeartsPriusPrime and bisco like this.
  20. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sound like your "NightStar" is a real beauty. From the sound of it, Prime may be a bit too boring to drive. I have not driven Corolla hatch but if it came in hybrid or plug-in, I definitely considered it before jumping into Prime. It is a great looking car for sure. BTW, even if you are going to keep your Corolla, I suggest you to cancel and get the money back for whatever you paid for the extended warranty. You are driving one of the most reliable cars Toyota has ever built.