1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken Plastic cover under front of Prius

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sumathisubra, Apr 17, 2013.

1. sumathisubra

sumathisubra Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Vehicle: Prius Hybrid Car, 2010 model
    Hello, 2 weeks ago, when we were driving to the next city, we noticed a loud scraping sound from front. So we stopped and checked and this mangled broken plastic (black color) was getting dragged on the road. We didn't have any tools, but the plastic was so damaged, I was able to twist it off. But I am worried if this is an important part and needs to replaced.
    1. Has anyone had this problem?
    2. did you fix it?
    3.What did you do to fix it?
    4. how much does it cost?
    5. where is the best place to get it done?
    6. Is there a proper part name for this?
    Thanks so much.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, all the best!(y)

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to PC. Likely this is your under belly Pan/Shroud, or part of it. The oil change "door" is a known issue. Picture would help.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic. That plastic piece is a just a shroud to protect the heat of your engine from contacting whatever you drive over. I heard this on Click an Clack. If you drive over tall grass for example, you could start a fire. If the car stays on pavement, it doesn't matter. It has broken off on a couple of my cars. I just remove it. Cost depends on which shroud was broken I'd ballpark it at around $200 with installation.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    http://priuschat.com/attachments/t-sb-0032-11-engine-under-cover-warpage-pdf.32703/

If you are within the 3/36 you are covered with this TS-B. If not, my parts dept. quoted $250 for the shroud plus pins as required for $2.50 ea. They will give you 10% off if you ask, usually. If it is just the oil door section of the shroud, you could choose to ignore it as many are missing on cars out there it is already. That's why the TS-B. Jack it up to take a look, then you can decide.

6. Brian Adcock

Brian Adcock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius. Is the shroud one piece or two? Mine is shot from the previous owners neglect.

I would like to replace it.

Source or a link to replacement???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Brian in NC