1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken windshield club

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 2010blizzard, Mar 10, 2011.

1. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    from my understanding, Toyota doesn't make their own glass but there is a difference in how the glass is made based on your equipment package. Regular windshields have two layers of glass and plastic in the middle. This is true of the OEM glass and after market replacements like from safelite.

Windshields that are made for HUDs are slightly different because the layers disrupt the reflecting ability. In this case, the windshield is just a 2 layer design of thicker glass and then plastic.

I might not have 100% of the facts right here but it is all the information I have found to date on the subject.

2. Manish

Manish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sadly, I have also joined this club. Cracked today on I-880N near Oakland. Was half an inch crack 1/3rd the way up on passenger side, and by the time I reached Vallejo, it had spread to the center. I feel so bummed. Car is not even 3 months old :-(

#62 Manish, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  3. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've gotten to join this club twice now! Pebble on the freeway (no cars around nor ahead of me) caused a spider crack in my Prius Plug-in on the passenger side of the front windshield, which I promptly had sealed by $30 from a place I found off of yelp, but 3 months later cracked throughout the window to the bottom and has stopped cracking about in the center of the windshield. I've been driving it with that way for 3 months now since the crack has not extended in front of the driver side, so I don't think I'm liable for a ticket yet. Whenever I do get around to replacing it I will post my results.

My Prius C had it's rear window smashed from apparent vandalism, so that one had to be taken care of right away. I used All Star Glass as it is my insurance's preferred company. They came out a total of 3 times. The first two times they installed ACG glass (which was marked on the Original Windows, although the replacement is not Toyota branded), but kept having issues connecting the rear defroster. The third time they used Pilkington. Total cost was $250 deductible though insurance.

4. Ralith

Ralith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just had a rock hit the top L corner of my windshield and started a small <2 in crack... but by the time I got home (30-40 minutes) it was a full 18" and now a day or two later is like 24+ and across 1/2 the windshield. Getting it replaced tomorrow.

Its a 2010 with 120k miles, so not to bad... got it last year with 60k miles on it.

bisco likes this.
  5. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I'm joining the club ...again. Just had the windshield replaced 2 months ago, rock on the freeway no idea where it came from but hit the top corner drivers side. Spidered across the drivers view by the next day. 3k miles on the car.

Now two months later about 4k miles on the car and another stone hit the very edge of the glass this time on the passenger side, spidered again. 20+ years of driving and never had to replace a windshield, now two in two months!