1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brookhaven National Laboratory: Why Hasn’t Earth Warmed as Much as Expected?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by NevadaPrius, Jan 21, 2010.

1. NevadaPrius

NevadaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Brookhaven National Laboratory: Why Hasn’t Earth Warmed as Much as Expected?

[​IMG]

UPTON, NY – Planet Earth has warmed much less than expected during the industrial era based on current best estimates of Earth’s “climate sensitivity”—the amount of global temperature increase expected in response to a given rise in atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide (CO2). In a study to be published in the Journal of Climate, a publication of the American Meteorological Society (the early online release of the paper is available starting 19 January 2010; the link is given below), Stephen Schwartz, of Brookhaven National Laboratory, and colleagues examine the reasons for this discrepancy.

According to current best estimates of climate sensitivity, the amount of CO2 and other heat-trapping gases added to Earth’s atmosphere since humanity began burning fossil fuels on a significant scale during the industrial period would be expected to result in a mean global temperature rise of 3.8°F—well more than the 1.4°F increase that has been observed for this time span. Schwartz’s analysis attributes the reasons for this discrepancy to a possible mix of two major factors: 1) Earth’s climate may be less sensitive to rising greenhouse gases than currently assumed and/or 2) reflection of sunlight by haze particles in the atmosphere may be offsetting some of the expected warming.

2. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's just cooling masking the effects of al gore warming!!!111!one

3. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Here's how I read that piece of research, based only on press release and abstract. (I'd have to pay $35 or so to download it.)

Take the forcings as estimated by NASA GISS.

[IMGLINK]http://data.giss.nasa.gov/modelforce/efficacy_fig28.gif[/IMGLINK]

If you only looked at the red GHG bars, and ignored the aqua aerosol bars, you'd predict a very large forcing, and consequently would predict much more warming than has actually occurred.

So, focusing on GHGs alone yields too high a projected temperature change. That seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion.

They then go on to parse out the difference between the actual, observed temperature change and the GHG-only temperature change. Per the abstract, of the difference, they attribute no more than 15% to natural variation, 25% to thermal lag. The majority of the discrepancy is due to some combination of uncertainties in the impact of aerosols and the estimated climate sensitivity.

Not being an expert on the impact of aerosols, that all sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Their take on the importance of this is that you need to pin down these uncertainties better if you want to get a grip on how much longer we can continue to emit GHGs without exceeding some reasonable temperature threshold limit.

But, boy howdy, if you're looking for a comforting message, I think you're looking in the wrong place. What's the estimated spread of time available to avoid their threshold level of warming (which looks to me to be in line with the consensus of no more than 2 degrees C additional warming from now):

From the press release:

"The paper describes three scenarios: If Earth’s climate sensitivity is at the low end of current estimates as given by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, then the total maximum future emissions of heat-trapping gases so as not to exceed the 3.6° threshold would correspond to about 35 years of present annual emissions of CO2 from fossil-fuel combustion. A climate sensitivity at the present best estimate would mean that no more heat-trapping gases can be added to the atmosphere without committing the planet to exceeding the threshold. And if the sensitivity is at the high end of current estimates, present atmospheric concentrations of heat-trapping gases are such that the planet is already committed to warming that substantially exceeds the 3.6° threshold."

Message: Depending on the climate sensitivity chosen, either we're already way screwed, we're about to be screwed, or we've got 35 years to get our act together to avoid being screwed (IF emissions do not trend upward, as they have been doing.)

That's all still in the very long run - it would still take quite a while to reach the additional 2 degrees C.

That's substantially more pessimistic than (e.g.) Hansen's estimate that holding GHGs at current levels would yield just a 1 degree C increase in the long run. Yet consistent (for the last two scenarios) with his judgment that we need to reduce emissions immediately.

In fact, that's so pessimistic that I may spring for the article if I don't see a detailed analysis of it on the internet soon.

Yet the point is well taken and dovetails with the article on ship trails posted earlier. Over the very long term, what we've seen to date is GHG increases correlated with aerosol increases. So the historical temperature trends reflect the (by chance) association of the two. If we move to an era of increased GHG concentrations but no higher atmospheric aerosol content, then ... you could plausibly get to a more pessimistic estimate of the time left to avoid the 2 degree C threshold.

Not a cheery picture. I think I'll side with the optimists on this one.

1 person likes this.
  4. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like great fodder for misinterpretation.

1 person likes this.