1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by peanutmac, May 1, 2007.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 1 2007, 09:27 PM) [snapback]433752[/snapback]</div>

I didn't notice any handling improvement with the mud flaps, but my fenders seem to be staying a little cleaner :p .

I haven't installed the rear mud flaps yet, so maybe they are the ones that improve the handling.

2. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Voodoo advisor told me that the BT plate works because it is (I) black and (II) non magnetic. She also said that if there is enough interest she will elaborate on the reasons. :unsure:

3. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    B) The plate works, guys, get over it! Spend a few bucks and find out!

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ May 1 2007, 09:38 PM) [snapback]433755[/snapback]</div>
    There you go! Don't even think of talking about the issue until you've installed the item in question! No soup for you!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ May 1 2007, 11:38 PM) [snapback]433755[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, but do you have scientific proof that the mud flaps are keeping the car cleaner. I could just be placebo affect after you spent your $60 and expect it to reduce mud and that's what you percieve when you look at your car now.

We need someone to design a scientific test to see if mud is actually blocked, it should be blinded and a carefully calibrated mudometer used to determine the weight and density of the accumulated mud and debris. :p
    [​IMG]

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 2 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]433861[/snapback]</div>
    It could be that the drivers are subconsciously avoiding mud now that they have mud flaps. In order for this test to have any credibility, they need to drive blindfolded. If their passengers are also blindfolded, then we have a double blind test.

Tom

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 2 2007, 08:16 AM) [snapback]433863[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent point.
    So, our null hypothesis must be that "the use of mud flaps does not reduce mud and debris on the car sides".
    Double blind drive as you describe both with and without the mudflaps installed.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 2 2007, 06:25 AM) [snapback]433868[/snapback]</div>

I invite you to go ahead and run the double blind test with your vehicle. Unfortunately, I have other commitments which do not allow me the time to complete the study. :)

9. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ May 1 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]433787[/snapback]</div>

Know that, had one installed two months ago. :)
    My Voodoo advisor was very impressed and attempted to explain the behavior based on her beliefs. Sorry if you misunderstood me. :(

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ May 2 2007, 07:27 AM) [snapback]433912[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent. You are hereby knighted as "Worth To Post." Please continue.

11. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You guys are on the right track. Be aware that by design, the extra couple of inches of the BT plate beyond the bolt pattern do provide additional and significant torsional stiffness. Here is a photo showing the loading and the differences between the 2 plates.

[attachmentid=7804]

Attached Files:

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 2 2007, 06:09 AM) [snapback]433861[/snapback]</div>
    I think that you're just trying to cover up the fact that you have less mud perception than the *professional* drivers that have noticed a drastic improvement of mud rejection. Those guys can tell the difference between ONE splater and TWO! Everybody who's put these flaps on says there's less mud. $60 is a small price to pay, just in case they DO work as advertised. Hell, you probably used the wrong torque on yours anyway. And this assumes that you actually have them installed - which I'm beginning to doubt!

13. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 2 2007, 05:25 AM) [snapback]433868[/snapback]</div>
    You should be ashamed of yourself for making a mockery of the post (and for posting large photos...) :rolleyes:

Can a moderator kick himself off the PC? Has that ever happened? :p :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 2 2007, 06:57 AM) [snapback]433941[/snapback]</div>

Just for that, I am going to give you some depressing news....

Mud Flaps increase your wind resistance and therefore hurt your gas mileage... there!! Fester on that for the rest of the week.... :eek:

14. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ May 2 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]433954[/snapback]</div>

I really resent the tactics of the "mud flap contingent" piggybacking on this BT Plate thread and trying to usurp our silliness with their obviously contrived silliness.

BT'ers unite! Stop this plot in its tracks. Otherwise, someone will try to sneak in a thread about the relative benefits of metal tire valve caps as opposed to plastic ones.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ May 2 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]433966[/snapback]</div>
    You're just defensive b/c you know you don't have any scientific proof that your silliness is more valid than our silliness. We now need a silliness study to confirm or refute whether your impression that your silliness is greater than our silliness is valid.

Stop the insanity!! :eek:

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rvancil @ May 1 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]433748[/snapback]</div>
    Out of curiousity, what is the width (195, 205, or???) of your new tires? I am starting to wonder if going to 205 series (or higher if that is possible) is in fact a solution to the buffeting issue. I have had 205 series tires on my car from day 1, and have not noticed any issues with buffeting (in 40+ mph crosswinds on the highway as well as passing trucks on the highway). There is a slight movement (roll?) of the body (which tells me the car is getting blown by the wind), but no issues with the car wandering on the road.

Oh, and I don't have the BT Tech plate. I have the TOM'S Upper and Lower Front Suspension Braces on order, but they have not arrived as yet. So, other than the tires and wheels (and ceramic pads, but the pads have no effect on resistance to buffeting), my car is a box stock Touring Edition Prius.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ May 2 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]433966[/snapback]</div>
    But there is a difference... it is in the magnetic forces of the metal tire valve caps and the resulting efficiency increase of the HSD.... Check with any spiritual advisor - they will set you straight....

17. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Ok a test for BT plate go down the highway open the right rear window first see if you get a weird vibration and noise if not open the left rear window and notice, if not open right front window now if you do not get the vibration I would say the plate works

now get out there and check :)

18. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ May 2 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]433966[/snapback]</div>
    I actually think the metal tire caps both improve the ride and the fuel echonomy. Scientifically, the metal has a lower coefficient of drag than the plastic..... ;)

However many will point out the extra dynamic weight of the caps will cause a decrease in FE.......

Lee

19. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 2 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]434082[/snapback]</div>
    Coming back to reality.... After I installed the bt Plate, I got rid of the UN-Integrity's and put a set of Michelin MXV4 Plus tires, because of the Integrity's poor traction on wet roads. It had the desired effect, plus the slight residual rear end instability that still existed after installing the BT Brace totally disappeared. The rear of the car became 'truly dead' as it should be on a front drive vehicle.

What effect the metal valve caps have doesn't seem to be measurable. :lol: :lol:

20. bobc

bobc New Member

Let's discuss the benefits/disadvantages of 22-24 lbs of torque originally spec'ed for the bolts compared to the commonly understood 20 lbs of torque compared to the new revelation of 17 lbs, shall we?

I can't believe it: I just posted this and just find a post specifically on torque values!!

This site isn't called Priusyack for nothin'!