1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Skid Plate installed--summary

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by efusco, Feb 16, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I, too, was disappointed at that and wanted the entire area enclosed. Brian asked me for measurements of the gap and said he could make me a new nose piece that would extend back and cover the gap.

2. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The weather has been chaotic and I've actually had some MPG struggles since putting the plate on, but I don't blame it on the plate.

Coming home from work last night my MPG numbers were pretty consistent with what I've come to expect.

I already achieve low 70mpg range on my normal commute so subtle benefits or hits may not be evident. I suppose there may be some highway benefit...but again I think it would be subtle either way. I didn't get the plate with any expectation of improved Cd or improvement in my MPG.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take credit/responsibility for the unclear photos. I took them to augment the instructions that came with the skid plate and they'll make more sense in that context. But it's also darn tricky to photograph from that angle and include all the details. I can add captions, and have for some of them. If there's a demand I'll do more. My plan is to rewrite Brian's instructions (maybe today) and include appropriate photos.
    I don't know the name of it, but mid-engine/trans torque arm sounds like it might be right.
    [​IMG]
    No PDF, I have Brian's instructions in word. The only diagram included was a hand-done rough sketch that, honestly, wasn't very helpful. I'm hoping to get those rewritten soon.
    Not exactly....
    [​IMG]

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Awesome. I don't remember seeing that sort of gap in the prototype pictures.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There was no gap in the photo posted in the PC shop...... check it out. I wonder if that is a result of a difference in the year model????

6. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My first prototype had a designed seperation between the front chin spoiler and our skid plate of aprox 2.4" I wanted there to be a space in between and not have it physically attached to the main skid plate.

I am having our machine shop make up a longer version of the chin spoiler to decrease the gap to less than 1/4" I am going to send one out to Evan and see how he likes that version. If it goes over well, we will make this available to those that have already purchased their skid plate.

Please note that the picture that Evan posted was taken with a wide angle "fisheye" type lens so the spacings that you see are exaggerated quite a bit compared to what it would look like in person.

7. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Evan, I am thinking of using some RAAMmat sound insulating material (similar to Dynamat) on the engine side of the skid plate. RAAMmat web site says it is stable to 300 degrees..... Do you think this would work to insulate sound and temp?

If I get a break tomorrow, I will craw under and reconnoiter a bit. When I install the plate, I will take photos and post them like I did with the Strut tower brace install.:photo:

Lee

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    300 degrees is probably OK...that was my main concern...the plate gets fairly close to the exhaust system which may well be much hotter than 300F.

Also, once I installed some shims I don't think the sound is any louder than before putting the plate on. If the sound would be LESS than before the plate that would be great. I wish there were a good option that would both heat insulate AND sound insulate.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dr,
    I looked at your pictures & threads with great interest. If I may make a suggestion? Pick up some rubber mats at Home Depot. There very handy to use everywhere in the home. Come in all colors. There cheap. They are about 2 x 2 ....1/2 inch thick..come in interlocking ends so you an make a carpet of them if you'd like and with 2 of them on top of each other you can lay on them under a car all day without any misery. And there washable. I have our laundry room floor lined with them and there a pleasure on the footsies. I own about 20 of them. The thought of my old a** laying on that plastic sheet of your's on concrete for 3 hours made my back spasm. You must be a young stud!!! There even a lot more comfortable than a mechanics creepy crawler sled. Good Luck!!

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's probably a smart idea. My only concerns with the rubber is that it would be hard to scoot/slide under there. My little piece did that well.
    Also, total time under the car was maybe 45 minutes...there was a lot of crawling under/crawling back out, sliding side to side and such. I was wishing for one of those things with rollers at times, but I don't think there would've been enough clearance.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes there quite easy to slide around on. On side is grippy the other side is slick/washable. I like to build a little carpet of them..then I slide that carpet under the car and when I'm done I slide it out that way I can see/find all the screws & washers I lost.

13. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Brian, what is the latest on the longer version of the chin spoiler?

I might take a stab at installing my skid plate on Saturday, but could wait for the new piece.

Lee

14. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The longer version of our chin spoilers should be here by mid/late next week.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lee, if you've got the time Sat. just go ahead and do the install with the shorter chin piece. It is, by far, the fastest/easiest part of the install and will be very easy to change out when you get the longer one.

16. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :mad: I haven't got to the install yet. Brian, will the larger chin piece be shipped automatically, or do I need to request it?

Lee:cool:

17. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Lee,

I have made a few of our longer chin spoiler but before I offer them, Evan is going to test one for me to make sure that everything fits perfectly.

18. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So I haven’t looked very carefully underneath my car yet, have a lot of people had trouble with road trash coming up through the plastic parts under the engine compartment? This isn’t a problem I’ve seen discussed in the short time I’ve been browsing around PC….

Jeremy

19. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just installed the forward engine deflector shields on the Zhang Heng. With the help of fellow Prius owner and car aficiando Frank Goodyear, we we able to do the install in 2 1/2 start to cleanup. Evan's instructions and photos were a great help.

The front antigravity generator bars had to be moved to where the deflectors would not cover them. I am going to stay with the short chin piece, since that allows an area for the lights to shine through.

The only minor hassle was getting things to line up. As it is, the middle bolt hole of the front five does not line up at all, so we just left that bolt out.

20. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion, any mechanical interference issues with the skidplate ought to be, for sure, cleared up ASAP. Unless I missed something, it appears that Evan's plate does indeed contact that mount thingie in the center of the car (despite his efforts to make adjustments); personally, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving the plate in place for an extended period of time under those circumstances.

Perhaps that specific skidplate is an early unit that isn't exactly to regular production specs, or something like that, I don't know...?