1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT tech plate review on my 07 touring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fboyle, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's nice to see the detailed pics on http://www.evnut.com/prius_stiffening_plate.htm

Does the BT one work by allowing more flex as it looks like the bolt holes on one end are slotted, and 24 ft/lb doesn't seem very tight. I'm just asking becausing in looking at the pictures, it looks like either brace is just functioning as a frame crossmember, and without being triangulated to something else, I have trouble seeing where it would make a big difference.

[​IMG]

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 8 2006, 07:30 AM) [snapback]345387[/snapback]</div>
    Prob not much difference as far as the push and pull.. only the flex "up and down".

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 8 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]345421[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure what you mean by up and down. You mean keeping both frame rails in the same horizontal plain?

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 8 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]345492[/snapback]</div>
    If you were standing behind the car on a perfectly flat surface, both rear tires would be the same elevation, but when you hit an uneven road surface, really strong wind gust, or sharp turn, a car with a good rigid frame, the whole car adjusts and moves if one tire changes elevation...

Why is the frame so funky?... not sure, but its very light and has alot if electronics etc that other cars don't have.. but I don't know for sure.

To make it simple, let say suddenly the right side of the road goes up 3 inches due to uneven road surface?
    What happens?
    If flex is allowed, the one tire "and frame" can go up while the other is unaffected.

You may say, great!.. thats what shocks do... wrong.. shocks moves only the tire and the frame and body remain intact.

So if this "flex" is allowed, one side of the whole car.. "Frame and all" is allowed to go up while the other side does not... thus you feel a "wig wag feeling and the car tracks a bit funny as the front wheels are intact and not one piece with what the back wheels are doing.

By firming up that "flex" the car moves as one regardless of what the shocks or struts are doing due to the road surface.

The end result is a smooth feel and your car is much more responsive to what you tell the front wheels to do with the steering wheel as the back wheels follow suit.

Its really not placebo at all.. crawl under the car and you will see why this happens.

5. fboyle

fboyle New Member

I cant believe that my little review caused so much fuss. I only wanted to let people know my results and what I though about the Bt plate. Next time I will keep my mouth shut.

Frank

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fboyle @ Nov 8 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]345621[/snapback]</div>
    No Frank.. hang in there...... you did a good job just trying to help people enjoy what you've found.. just like myself.

This thread is catching some of the energy from some other concurrent threads that are running at the same time.

If you look at the bottom of your page, you will most likely see the other links about the BT plate.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fboyle @ Nov 8 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]345621[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with Windstrings. It's only by posting what you know that others will learn.

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 8 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]345556[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, that is something that I should be able to measure. If I buy your plate, do you have a return policy on it? Thanks again for the information.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 8 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]345679[/snapback]</div>
    Windstrings isn't the seller, BT Tech is lol.

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 8 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]345699[/snapback]</div>
    I guess that means I'm talking too much ... Brian rarely defends his plates..that would appear as peddling... he just lets his customers do it.!

I'm going to try and mellow for a while so the air can clear.

It will be better if others talk for a while.. I think I've said enough for now.

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Those of limited intelligence resort to profanity in attempts to support their beliefs or point of view. Seems it's always been so.

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 8 2006, 02:44 PM) [snapback]345699[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I haven't been reading these threads closely enough. For all the effort he or she was putting into writing about it, I assumed they were with the company that made it or something. My bad!

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fboyle @ Nov 8 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]345621[/snapback]</div>
    Frank Boyle. Welcome to PriusChat, if it's not too little, too late. It's unfortunate this has been your introduction, but it's not your fault. You've stumbled upon an increasingly verbose and acrimonious debate that was blown out of all proportion quite some time ago. You've done nothing wrong in sharing your observations and stating your opinion, so post away. :)

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 8 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]345771[/snapback]</div>
    I know Brian as much as you do.

15. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 8 2006, 04:07 PM) [snapback]345774[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry again for the confusion.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 8 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]345773[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry Frank for being such a crummy host... This is the best forum I can think of for interesting spirited talk.
    Usually everyone repects each other pretty well.

I didn't even pick up that you were new and I should have....

sorry....

17. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 8 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]345679[/snapback]</div>
    I'd like to know this also. If I can try one risk free then maybe I will see if it works for myself.

18. Pious

Pious New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 8 2006, 03:10 AM) [snapback]345359[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, you get worked up quite easily. No need to be so defensive, unless you are on a crusade or something. Notice he kept the plate on anyway. I guess you don't know Darell, otherwise know as darelldd who posts regularly here. His website is http://www.evnut.com/ and has tons of info about mods he's done to his prius. It's been a great help to myself and people on this site. I would do more research before pointing fingers and calling people skeptics and fools. And what's this about women?

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pious @ Nov 8 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]345958[/snapback]</div>
    so you think that worked my up?.. I put seven smiley faces to show my laughter!... sorry you missed it.
    I was joking... didn't you read that either? Do you remember "sarcasam?"

As far as a skeptic and a fool? are you including yourself? or just defending them? You act as if your identifying with them.

As far as women....didn't I make myself clear? I've lived with mine for 24 years.. ... do you?

I could take the tires off and put motorcycle tires on and my wife would never know the difference! :lol:

Whats with you guys?.. why must you need everything repeated to you?..

You can reread the post again if you like.

20. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 8 2006, 03:10 AM) [snapback]345359[/snapback]</div>
    I feel sorry for Darell's poor wife. :( That page has either been used as "proof" the BT doesn't work, or she's dismissed as not being attuned to the Prius (or just trying to please her husband). It would be wrong to assume either way, as we've never met her or seen any posts from her. Unfortunately we don't know how long the test was, what the road conditions were or even the speeds.

Frankly, I wouldn't use that as a real test, as the sample size is too small. As Brian said, there's a lot of variables. If I get one, it'll be because I feel it would work for me on my roads at my speed; not what others do. I'm the one that's doing the driving.

As for my wife, we both took several classes in driveway level auto mechanics. She can set up a drum brake far better than I can. :p