1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Rear Aero Spoiler!!

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by BT Tech, Aug 7, 2005.

1. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BT Tech Rear Aero Spoiler

After several months of testing and fine-tuning, our newest product is out of the prototype stages!! For those that have already purchased our Prius Stiffening Plate, this makes the perfect addition for increased handling precision and high speed stability.

For information on purchasing and viewing our stiffening plate, please click on this thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/1-vt9445.html

The Prius is a remarkable achievement in obtaining both economy and performance. One of the engineer’s goals for this vehicle was clear; to make the car as aerodynamic as possible to reduce the coefficient of drag in an effort to increase fuel economy at highway speeds. It is also used as a marketing tool for Toyota and taunting this number puts them in a class by them selves.

Unfortunately, in the imperfect world in which we live there rarely is a “free lunchâ€. In order to obtain extremely low coefficients of drag for a vehicle, there usually is a tradeoff. This tradeoff in our case takes the form of an aerodynamic phenomenon known as lift.

If one looks at the entire top and bottom profile of a Prius, you will notice something very interesting. Its form resembles that of an airfoil!! Those that are familiar with aviation know all too well where this is going. As your speed increases, the amount of air flowing over the top increases due to the shape of the vehicle. This happens because the air flowing over the top takes a longer path than the air flowing under the bottom of the car. The result is that the faster moving air over the top creates a low-pressure zone and the air moving slower under the vehicle creates positive pressure. This phenomenon results in lift and greatly contributes to the un-easy handling that a lot of us experience at highway speeds.

I have spent a great deal of time with a close friend that is an aerospace engineer and after going over the many different ways to reduce the amount of lift without seriously affecting the coefficient of drag, this is what we have come up with.

We already have seen the aftermarket “spoiler†that is offered in Japan. This device should NOT be called a spoiler as a “true†spoiler has an aerodynamic function. The larger “spoiler that comes out of Japan seems to be merely an aesthetic part and nothing more.

Spoilers generally work by disrupting the airflow going over a car. This disruption has two primary effects:

1. Reducing the amount of lift naturally generated by the shape of the car, and

2. Increasing the amount of positive pressure downward through the vehicle

What we have come up with is an aerodynamic part that will attach to the rear of the vehicle, at the base of the hatch glass. Its purpose is to reduce the amount of lift by altering the air flow. At the same time, this will give the rear of the car more downforce and is easily felt when driving at highway speeds. A byproduct effect that this part has is that it greatly lessens the side wakes of larger vehicles that go by.
    For example, when that huge 18 wheeler is doing 80 MPH, the car will be less sensitive to its wake producing effects when it passes by.

We will be offering this part in flat black that is ready to be sanded and painted or already pre-finished in your factory color. The paint job will be done by a professional paint shop using Dupont base coat /clear coat for a factory original type finish.

Prices have not yet been set as I am still negotiating with several shops to get the paint work done.

For those that are interested in this part, please email me privately at [email protected] so I can gauge how many to include in my first production run.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How does this attach to the car? Is it mechanical or adhesive? Would I be able to do it myself?

If it's not too expensive and is as easy as the plate (yes, I've decided to do it myself on Tuesday afternoon at my Dad's house. As long as the car is going to be jacked up, I'm installing my mudflaps too) then sign me up.

I've got a black Prius and you'll probably hardly notice I've done anything to modify the car. I'll miss a few of those miles but if it reduces shimmy when those big rigs pass me, that will be great.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you calculated a new Cd? Any estimate as to the MPG hit?

Let us know a price range estimate when you can

4. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Mary.. I just got home from an afternoon on the water and read your email. I must say that I am VERY happy that you are going ahead with the install yourself!! Once under the car, you will see that the stiffening plate is very easy to install. All you need to do is to unbolt the factory one and replace it with your new one using our stainless bolts.

In regard to the spoiler, it will adhere to the base of the glass with powerful 3m adhesive. I have had the prototype on my car for a while now and it has been perfect. You will simply wipe down the area with some rubbing alcohol, dry the area and then place the spoiler in the area that is indicated in the instructions. VERY simple!!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I knew that this question would come up and unfortunately, I do not have any way to caluclate what effect this has on the Cd. I can tell you that I have not seen any decrease in gas milage with the highway driving that I do but I do expect there to be a marginal gas penalty.

It really is amazing that a part such as this can make such a difference when driving on the highway but it truly does.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

6. popoff

popoff New Member

I've got 20 years on you and did it without even jacking up the car. I had the ratchet and the 2 sockets cost about 6-7 dollars total. It would make it a little bit easier if you had a second pair of hands available to hold the plate in place while you insert the first bolt.

7. popoff

popoff New Member

Brian, if possible would you please post a photo of just the spoiler?

I'm interested and would like to see some more details, when available, about the estimated price and production date.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, I'm probably better equiped than the average 50 year old woman when it comes to power tools.

Boy, did *that* come out wrong.

I've got both a cord and cordless power drill with complete drill bits for wood, metal and even concrete. I've also got a circular saw, looking to buy a compound miter saw. I also have a jigsaw and some sanders.

Yep, if I ask for power tools...Santa comes through every Christmas.

Auto mechanics is a new field for me. I do have a complete set of socket wrenches. My concern was that the current plate would be so tight I wouldn't have the upper body strength to loosen it. I have been reassured that I will be able to get it off. Turns out I have the Allen wrenches so putting on the new one is not a problem. And the torque is so low I am assured I will be able to tighten it quiet well.

What can I say? My Dad raised us with the idea that if we couldn't afford to pay someone to do something, we better learn how to do it ourselves. I'm a teacher and now have new car payments so money is tight.

I've laid ceramic tile, sweated copper pipe and wired and hung my own ceiling fans. So now I am venturing into the wonderful world of auto mechanics. All thanks to you guys.

I think on the Do-it-yourself scale I can do this. I'm even looking forward to it.

9. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is that what the NASCAR guys call a "wickerbill"? :mrgreen:

I have a white Prius and I was totally surprised by the number of little black dots (bugs) that I found on the roof just ahead of the hatch after an evening drive.

10. LuckyP

LuckyP New Member

That made me spray beer through my nose!

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad to be of service.

Your sinuses should be clear for a week.

12. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Brian,

Many people have their cars alignment provided with slight toe-in and negative camber to help the highway stability issue. Would the use of this new spoiler allow the use of a more neutral alignment spec?

Wayne

13. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Wayne.. The purpose of the spoiler is to generate more downforce on the vehicle at highway speeds and reduce the amount of lift.

My car which is also my test vehicle has been aligned with a very slight amount of toe-in. In my case, my specs are .07 degree on each side. It is always desirable to have a slight amount of toe in to help with high speed stability.

The spoiler will help any Prius whether aligned as per spec or with a slight amount of toe-in. However, the car with the added toe-in will always track better at high speeds.

Hope this helps...

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

14. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian,
    Great job again with the Spoiler2. Let me know the approximate price in black.
    Did you consider any small vertical fences to the back of the car or vortex generators in front of the Spoiler2 ?

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, you must be both skinnier and more flatchested than me.

Not much of a challenge, actually.

Even with the car jacked up (albeit not by much) I could only slide under enough to do one side at a time. But I didn't need any help to hold it in place. It ended up being pretty easy. (My Dad did take the old plate off for me. He's 75 but he used the creeper.)

Now *this* installation is going to be a breeze. I've already done my own bumper guard and Paul's decals. This part will be a piece of cake. And if it performs as well as the plate does, even better.

I can't wait!!!!

16. popoff

popoff New Member

I can be described as skinny, bald, and most certainly "non-Rubenesque." :)

17. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Greg.. I wanted to keep the car looking as stock as possible and tried numerous designs until I was happy with what worked and looked best.

I did not want to turn the Prius into a "rice racer" but wanted a nice OEM appearance and only be noticed by those that are actually looking for it.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, Brian. An elegant solution. I had suspected the handling issues were related to lift. But, silly me, I was thinking front end work. On second thought, I realise an air dam would slow the air under the car, raising the pressure and *increasing* the lift. Oops. I wish I could get a scale model, so I could stick it in a wind tunnel. I've seen street cars with speed-sensitive retractable spoilers, illegal in racing as I'm sure you know. Just out of curiosity, did you try a spoiler at the *top* of the window, ala Supra? Not to dis your spoiler, but would it look any different if you balanced the inevitable design compromise 100% for performance, with zero regard for looks?

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, this looks like it works with the existing "spoiler" to turn it from decorative into functional.

It's an elegant solution.

I like it because it's subtle. Nothing like form and function.

20. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Brian... I like it! Can I order it for the specific color of my car?