1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Rear Aero Spoiler!!

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by BT Tech, Aug 7, 2005.

1. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I received my spoiler some time ago but due to circumstances have been unable to install it. Now I'm ready and I was wondering if there is a recommended minimum temperature for installation? I'm a little familiar with adhesives and know that sometimes they don't cure well under cooler conditions.

2. guido

guido Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    mehrenst,

I put mine on a couple of weeks ago. I had to wait for a dry, sunny day with the temps around the upper 50's to lower 60's.

One way I found to make sure the glue setup was to clamp either end in place with a couple of woodworking clamps. There's a piece of black moulding convienently located on the inside edge of the hatch on either side. Just leave the hatch open for a couple hours in the sun with the clamps on and it should set up fine.

If you have a problem, contact Brian and he will send you a small bottle of adhesive primer to help hold the ends down. Just smear that on and clamp the ends down again.

Dan

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Brian -

Still trying to get a response to my questions above (plus more that I've emailed to you directly). You on holiday? I'm trying to live through my un-delivered car vicariously here! :)

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I too have been trying to contact Brian and I think he must indeed be out of town.

I used up the spoiler kit he sent to re-stick my spoiler. I followed the instructions to the letter and then some but it was to cold out and it fell off in about 8 or 12 hours. I'm now trying to beg another kit, or get Brian to tell me where to buy the stuff myself. I really liked the spoiler and I want to try and put it on again as soon as the weather warms up. It was about 50 degrees when I tried it and I let it set for over an hour with little clamps on each end. When I finshed it looked good, but the temprature dropped to below 30 that night and it just lifted off, the adhesive came off the glass and the spoiler both.

So my lesson to pass on is, don't even try to get it to stick if it's cold out.

Brian if your out there let us know, and thanks for your support and good customer service.

5. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Mine is stuck so good in the middle I can't even pull it off to try and re-apply it. I also tried scaping it off with a mettal putty knife. I'm scared of scratching the glass. I am thinking the tape would have to be replaced since I gummed it up on the ends with LockTite. The ends look bad and makes my car look like a jalopy.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I may be the guilty party as far as the locTite is concerned. I tried it and it worked so well I posted it as a solution. Then it got really cold and the ends poped up again. I made another post and said "don't use this stuff" but it was to late. Fortunately mine came off in the middle too.

What we need is a good proven solution. I'm willing to try something new but I don't want to end up with a mess like you have. Maybe just waiting untill it's 80 or 90 degrees out and doing it the original way will work?

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay. I haven't put mine on yet. Even in San Diego it's been too cold. In the 60's. Now I'm glad I haven't tried to do anything. I already put it on once when I first got it and the ends popped up. Brian sent me a "repair" kit and I dutifully peeled off all of the tape and sanded it and reapplied the tape. But I haven't prepped the glass or attempted to reglue it.

I'm waiting now for a guinea pig to post their results.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Right, don't blame you for that. I'm going to wait until it gets to 80 or 90 before I try again.

Edit: Actually I think I already said that.

9. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I think I'll wait until August. :wacko:

10. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello guys... We initially had a problem with the ends of our spoiler lifting from the glass surface so we developed a repair kit to fix this issue. Basically the kit consits of a 3m product called Primer 94 which is an adhesive promoter that helps create a very positive bond for the 3m adhesive on the spoiler to the rear glass.

We now include the primer with all of our spoilers that ship.

This adhesive and adhesive promoter is most effective when installing in temeratures of at least 70 degrees or warmer. When the temperature is lower than this, the adhesive bond is not as strong and can result in the ends not staying put. This is only applicable during the inintial installation of the spoiler. After it is installed properly it does not matter what the outside temperature is. In other words, you do NOT need to only live in Arizona or Florida to use this product. :)

What we have recommended to people is if they wish to install their spoiler in cooler temperatures that they take a hair dryer to heat up the surface of the glass. Once this is accomplished you can take the primer to coat the glass and then apply the spoiler as indicated in the directions.

If anyone has any questions, please contact me by email or at the number listed below.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

11. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I sure wish that was stated in the instructions. I have 3 halogen work lamps (hot as hell) that would have done the trick.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Brian -

Still awaiting response (public or private) on my brace and spoiler questions...

Thanks.

13. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Darrell.. Your questions are quite extensive so I would ask that you call me at the number listed below.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, Brian. I'll give you a jingle tomorrow if I have time. I just figured that others would be interested in the info as well.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, if those are good questions, I wouldn't mind seeing them
    and the responses posted publicly, so we all learn. I had a couple
    of questions that went unanswered a month or two ago too...
    _H*

16. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm having no luck finding a roof/rear window spoiler... is this it? because no pics are available... anybody have non-expired pics?

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jukeboy @ Nov 3 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]534450[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. But I have a non-installed spoiler.

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm now very curious about this thread, what is it about?

19. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. lplate

lplate New Member

Anybody else having trouble seeing the thumbnails?