1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Skid Plate availbe for pre-order

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BT Tech, Dec 27, 2007.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: BT Tech Skid Plate available for pre-order

I wonder if a troll alert is not in order?

Seriously, if you don't believe the skid plate is of any benefit, don't buy one. That way, you will be leaving one for someone who needs the skid plate.

2. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That looks like a quality piece and I would like to have something like that. Due to my tight budget, price will be important as others have mentioned.

I have a question: How far back does it extend since I'm mainly interested in it's aerodynamic benefits? I guess even if it doesn't go all the way back it would still give something solid to mount an extension on. Great looking product you have there!

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Seems like the usual troll variety we get here. They think they know a lot, but in reality they are borderline retarded.

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I too am interested. Please let us know what you estimate the price will be.

As for the above-referenced Troll, Brian, we all appreciate what you have done, and you are a valued member of our community. Don't try and have a battle of wits with an unarmed man....

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

He has a history. He used to post as JimboJones.

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    PM sent.

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Thank you for the "heads-up".... That certainly explains a lot!! :)

To everyone else, I appreciate the kind words that you have posted. The amount of work to get something like this to the point of being ready to ship is more work than most people realize.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Been lurking here for a while and seem to remember more than one report of road debris damage to the air conditioner condenser...love to argue that one with the dealer so ah...just shut up.
    Anything to protect the really expensive MG's down below is a great idea.
    Loved the quality of my BT Plate so put me down for a skid plate too if not too crazy expensive. Thanks.

9. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Count me in as well. Any indication on price?
    I plan to use a reflecting insulator as well if we can figure which is best.

BTW: I have been off site ever since the new format wouldn't recognize my password! :mad:
    Lee

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That is definitely annoying. I got bitten by the unrecognized password issue until Danny resolved the issue.

11. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Evan and apriusfan, what have you come up with for insulating/reflecting material for the skid plate?

Funny, the thing is not available yet we are discussing modifications on a modification :eek:

Lee

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After discussion, there may not be a viable application. Evan did not seem to think that the heat reflecting material that I referred to him would reflect sufficient heat or provide sound deadening functionality. Since I do not have sufficiently cold temperatures in my neck of the woods, I have to accept Evan's perceptions.

What would get scary is if there was a modification of a modification.... Like a sound deadener applied to the skid plate to which a heat reflecting modification was made....

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $330 for the skid plate, albeit shipping included, is just a tad higher (by about $100) than I was hoping/planning on.
    May have to live without for now.

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    $330 is a bit steep; but I figure Brian has to be able to recover some of the development effort. Also, my Collision deductible is $250, so if I avoid even one hit from road debris, the skid plate has almost broken even. I have got to get photos of my TOM'S Front lower Strut Brace off to Brian.

15. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was striving to get our skid plate at around the 250 mark but it is just not possible using the materials and plate thickness that we manufacture our skid plate with. When you factor in that we are powder-coating all of the parts and supplying all of the hardware, installation instructions and packing material, the price is in line.

For those of you that have purchased one of our BT Tech stiffening plates, Prius Chat will be offering a "Loyalty" discount which should be on the on-line store shortly. This discount can be applied to either our BT Tech Skid Plate or our Tower Strut Brace.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Same here. Even with the "loyalty" discount I think it's too much for me.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand that. I'm not suggesting your price is high because you're charging too much. Just that it's higher than I would have hoped it to be. I don't doubt the product is worth even more than that.

I guess I'll wait to see what the 'loyalty discount' will be and then start assessing how much crap I'll have to take from my wife if/when I do order one.

18. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    When I checked into the Shop, it reflected a $299.99 price for the skid plate and $250.00 for the tower brace. Both of which are a bit more than I can spend at this time. Again, I'm with Evan, I have no doubt they're worth every penny, and custom fabricated for our vehicles. I'm still trying to justify some of the gifts that "Santa" brought me :D

I'll still wait and see what the loyalty discount is, unless that's it....

19. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I know that the prices are higher than what a lot of you wanted to see. Manufacturing products in the United States is extremely expensive and I have no doubt that if I had a company in China make these products, we could probably cut our prices by half but at this point I am not willing to do this.

I need to be able to control the quality of the product and I take a great deal of pride to be able to say that we make all of our products here in this country.

I will get with Danny and Nichole and see what we can offer as a "Loyalty Discount" and I hope that will help to reduce the final price, at least a little bit..

20. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got mine ordered (Tower Brace too!). They won't ship for a few weeks so I'll miss using them on a shake-down trip from central California over the Sierra's to Death Valley and back. I might have to do it again when I get 'em installed.

P.S. Evan, I don't have a wife to take crap from, so impulse Prius buys are easy to do.:eek:

Lee