1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Skid Plate availbe for pre-order

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BT Tech, Dec 27, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool
    Great, I'm a photo snob. If you have a chance to photograph the install process...esp. any key steps...that would be great for everyone who needs to install this part. If it took you an hour I'm a little worried that it's more difficult to do than I expected.

If the black are just as strong and durable I think it would look cleaner.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

ahhhh.......its "Even a BROKEN clock is right twice a day" you know...the clock is broken...hands don't turn...right twice a day. And yes it is an inappropriate analogy if you can't quote properly even the most simplest of country bumpkin sayings.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian/Danny,
    Have you started shipping yet? I'm off today and Friday and would love to get that sucker installed (esp. today since we have snow coming tomorrow.)

4. fred

fred New Member

chasis strut stiffener

doc are you planning to try the torsion bar type stiffener that goes on the front shock towers?. i had an old 240z and that addition really(!) tightened up the handling. also i wonder in the future if our new friends at bt will offer a REAR torsion bar for the rear shock towers.
    fred from nashville (soon to have my delayed 08 barcelona red with pkg 2 and charcoal seats)

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: chasis strut stiffener

I'm not planning on it at this point. At the price and for the way I drive I just can't see the cost/benefit ratio.(Though one could easily say the same of the skid plate I guess) The huge majority of my driving is below 40mph on fairly straight hilly roads. The secondary miles are highways where the could be some benefit I would appreciate (I do some high speed curves on the way to our lake house.) And finally occasional freeway trips where I don't think the torsion bar would matter.

The modification maniac in me would love to have it, but not right away.

6. fred

fred New Member

thanks, as always, doc, for your nice and considered reply. one of the reasons that i got rid of my 1st 04 prius was because im such a car nut that i was really irked by the crumby (no offense to our other prius fans) cornering. so for me the body stiffening and general tightening up of the chasis would be a great benefit. i no longer flog cars around corners but i do like a nice stiff ride. i am waiting for my new 08 to arrive and plan to make these nice modifications (if my wallet will allow)

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fred, you best bet is to get the TRD Sportivo suspension. While all the chassis bracing will stiffen up the chassis a bit, you'll still be left with the soft stock springs/struts.

8. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Evan,

I am waiting for all of the parts to arrive so it looks like we will start to ship our skid plates out by next week at the soonest.

I have 4 strut braces that will ship out tomorrow so for those that were the first on the list should have these by next week.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because the rear suspension isn't strut type I don't think there would be as much benefit in bracing the shocker towers on the rear of Prius. I believe TRD make braces for above and below the rear floor though.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TOM's, not TRD, makes those rear braces.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian,
    Any updates on the anticipated shipping date for the skid plates?

12. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Evan,

I just received all of the parts and now I have to assemble them and package/box them with their instructions and hardware. Right now it looks like they will start to ship by next week. I was hoping to recieve all of the assemblies last week but that did not happen.

I am happy to report that our BT Tech Strut Braces have begun to ship. I was able to get 4 sets of them out today and will try to get more packaged up and shipped ASAP to fufill our back orders.

Hang in there guys... It won't be much longer!!

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I'm hanging....but if I don't have it by the time my rock crawl comes up I'm going to be upset!:eek:

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Boo, my bad.

15. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ALL Pending orders for our BT Tech Skid Plate are shipping TODAY!! I worked long and hard over the weekend to get everything all boxed up/labeled and ready to ship.

Thanks to everyone for your patience!!

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whohoo! Thanks Brian, if it arrives Wed. or Thur. I'll get it installed before the weekend. Otherwise it'll have to wait until next week thanks to my lovely work schedule.

17. kahlerjr

kahlerjr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: BT Tech Skid Plate available for pre-order

Brian,

Installed your SKID plate and was amazed at the change, great job thanks. Have the strut brace and am waiting for a few spare hours to install. The instructions are clear however, any words of advise before I get started?

18. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Thanks for your feedback!! The installation of our BT Tech Strut Brace really is very easy. I have tried to detail the install with our instructions as best I can so my advice would be to carefully study it and then dive into the installation.

Now that I have done a few of these, I can literally install one in under 20 minutes!! If anyone that is trying to install one has a question or has an issue, please feel free to PM or call me and I can walk you through it.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

What changes were "amazing"? Other than appearance?
    How long did it take you to do the install? And suggestions, tips, things that got you stuck? I expect mine to arrive in the next day or two and want to limit my time on the cold garage floor!

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The skid plate just arrived in perfect condition, very nicely packaged.
    There are more parts in the box than I expected...just thought there'd be one main plate and the 2 little covers for the oil change holes...nope. There are at least 5 main pieces in there, a bunch of screws and a couple of other odd pieces/parts.

Unfortunately it didn't arrive until about 3:30 and I have to pick up kids, take one to wrestling, etc. So it won't get put on today. Esp. after looking at the instructions which are full of 10mm screws, bolts, sockets, clips, etc. and really only 1 diagram in the whole thing. Also, I really want to try to take some decent photos along the way to smooth the road for anyone else who puts it on.