1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Skid Plate availbe for pre-order

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BT Tech, Dec 27, 2007.

1. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edthefox5 [​IMG]
    Been lurking here for a while and seem to remember more than one report of road debris damage to the air conditioner condenser...love to argue that one with the dealer so ah...just shut up.

i was one of those victims, leaked all that feron somewhere and had to replace one of the A/C pipes (toyo part is 400 bucks, so my mech grabbed it from a salvage prius), all in all he installed it like a pro and reinstated the feron.

I remember hitting a THUNK and then one day my a/c stopped working! Now i'm for SURE going to get something under there, there are too many nasty bumps that is going to own you one day.

i'll wait for the first price drop once mass production hits :p although ideally i'd like to see an extension somehow all the way to the back of the car, although I can imagine how expensive that would be with all the aluminum invovled.

But at least this shield would make you gung ho on rocky grounds!

2. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm new to the Prius (320 miles) so I haven't come close to any type of maintenance yet and I think the skid plate is a great idea (unless I have to remove it every time I take it in for maintenance/repairs etc.).
    Taking good photos and a step-by-step would be great. :)
    From the picture, I see 2 holes in the plate which I assume stay uncovered for access to change oil/filter, is that correct? OR are those just breather holes?

Attached Files:

3. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Welcome lumpy to "Priushood" :)

I designed our skid plate as a permanent installation and does not need to be removed for routine maintaince such as oil and filter changes.

I designed covers that fit into the two large access holes which have a nice OEM look and finish to it.

We already shipped out a number of our BT Tech skid plates to customers so you should start to see some in-depth pictures and reviews coming shortly.

If you have any question please do not hesitate to ask.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A quick "head's up" in case anyone's about to go try to install your skid plate. I a bit more than 1/2 way through the install and hit a big road block and I'm concerned others may also have the same issue with this run of plates.

Grab the passenger side 'support plate" and one of the 6 bolt clips. See if the bolt clip fits properly at the middle hole of the top of the support plate (the side with the curve and 3 holes). On mine the hole seems to be drilled way too far down and the clip will not reach the hole by almost a full inch.

I'm currently trying to modify the plate by drilling a hole in the proper position, but if you're not comfortable doing that then do not start the install if that clip won't fit to the hole.

I'll upload a picture later showing the problem and the fix. Just wanted to get the warning out there in case someone else was planning on trying the install today.
    *Edit: This is MY mistake. The holes are OK, the clips go on the body of the car, not on the plate parts.

BTW, getting the OEM panels off is a PITA, particularly the parts up in the wheel wells. You might consider putting the car on jack stands, pulling the front wheels off and detatching those parts that way, then you can pull up on ramps for the rest or just do the whole thing from jack stands. I could not pry off the retaining pins with a screw driver and basicly just ripped them out once I had the 6mm bolts removed.

SFO likes this.
  5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My plate installed:
    [​IMG]

More photos HERE.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol I had figured as much (those of us who put together Ikea furniture make similar mistakes all the time) but didn't want to speculate publicly.