1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening Plate does not improve ride

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by John in LB, Jun 1, 2007.

1. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Jun 1 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]453562[/snapback]</div>
    It seems to me you are applying the force at the wrong place. Bouncing up and down in the seat is mediated by the cars suspension, not to mention the seat cushions. I might be able to flex the frame, but then I weigh at least one multiple of your wife. Perhaps some hydraulic jacking at the unsupported corner, assuming you were supporting the frame and not the wheels.
    Disclaimers: I noticed some difference in the handling of my 2004 but only at the margin (banked freeway ramps at high speed), not the life changing experience of others. I also thought upgrading to some decent tires provided a larger improvement. And finally, I'm not a scientist although I do have a master of science degree. (apologies to duck's breath)

Ken Stewart's reference to testing the resonance of the frame reminded me of something. It's common practice in bicycle wheel building to pluck the spokes and tension to 1st order by listening to the pitch. It occurred to me that hammering on the frame with and without the brace might yield a change in pitch discernible by those with golden ears. Or it might not. In either case, it should fuel another 100 or so responses to the topic. Unfortunately, it can't be me as I'm having surgery this week and won't be able to swing a hammer for a few weeks. But others are welcome to swing away.

Disclaimers: I noticed some difference in the handling of my 2004 but only at the margin (banked freeway ramps at high speed), not the life changing experience of others. I also thought upgrading to some decent tires provided a larger improvement. And finally, I'm not a scientist although I do have a master of science degree. (apologies to duck's breath)

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

3. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello again FloridaWen,

I request that you contact me directly so I can get your full name and shippng information so I can at least let you know if we have your order in our system.

We were starting to run low on our BT Tech plates about 3-4 weeks ago and are currently awaiting our next batch of plates to arrive this week to fufill all of our backorders.

The good news is that since we are both located in Florida you should have your BT Tech plate in one day's shipping time.

If you have any questions please let me know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 3 2007, 05:42 AM) [snapback]454301[/snapback]</div>

4. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jun 3 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]454325[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that we should keep the original post going. I am in favor of adding this post to the original. I don't know why I did not experence any improvement with all the positive comments, but I didn't.

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Jun 2 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]454214[/snapback]</div>
    Yes indeed, I agree! and they have the "gall" to accuse everyone else of not being honest in thier opinion by saying "finally an honest opinion?".......

I'm sure they find it sweet to finally hear someone saying the same thing, it makes the scoffers feel they are not going crazy!

I'm also amazed that after "hundreds" of people confirm a definate improvement, there are a very small handfull that long to hear words that confirm they are not crazy and so define all of us that feel a change as crazy!

The bottom line to all the scoffers.... if you don't feel a change... maybe you can't feel, but don't accuse everyone else as being dishonest or crazy!...

I think the arguement for the scoffers being crazy has much much more weight and backing than the other way around just by sheer virtue of the great multitude of witnesses to the postitve.

You scoffers think what you will and don't buy it, but why do you think you find pleasure in trying to disprove everyone else?.... why does that help you sleep at night?

Like I said in previous threads, you could take away half of the suspension and the shocks and some people wouldn't notice.

And jumping down on a car to disprove what happens on the road only proves the lack of understanding and reasoning to consider any benfits.

I'm certainly glad the techs at Toyota doesn't test things that way.

6. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 3 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]454415[/snapback]</div>
    I guess YOU "missed the point" too................. :angry:
    I am anxious to get it.............. still want it............. just thought it would be delivered in less than TWO WEEKS.............. DO YOU GET IT NOW ????????????????????????????

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Jun 3 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]454475[/snapback]</div>
    It would have been courteous and professional to at very least "alert" (email?) any and all customers that are anxiously waiting to receive your plate....... some sort of "real life status report" !!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Jun 3 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]454475[/snapback]</div>
    This is a great thing........... great news.......... but WHEN will it really and truly ship ????

I just sent you my order info including my name, address, phone#, etc. via PruisChat email !!
    :rolleyes:

8. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just responded to your email....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 3 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]454501[/snapback]</div>

9. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

Bought it, unconvinced:
    DarrellDD
    Allannde
    Tom6850
    John in LB

Several others said it was "marginal" improvement.

Many skeptics who don't want to shell out the money on the chance...

10. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Jun 3 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]454504[/snapback]</div>
    Yes you did, received it okay, and I THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the prompt and informative reply. I just sent you a "second" email and I wonder what you thought of that.......... (describing cross-winds and the Prius in Interstate I-4).......... didn't get a response (from my Outlook 2007) that you received that second one.......... :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ Jun 3 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]454537[/snapback]</div>
    Well I too did shell out the $165 and I am really hoping for a better than marginal improvement......
    I want my Wife (who drives the new '07 Prius Touring 99.9% of the time) to be SAFE and have the best handling possible without adding anti-sway bars, urethane bushings, HD shocks, wider tires, etc.
    I am very anxious to receive mine and try it.......... unfortunately I can only work on the vehicles (and anything around the home) on the WEEKENDS !! Well, maybe I'll have it on next Saturday ?? Got the torque wrench and the 6mm hex bit just waiting to be used............
    :rolleyes:

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the jack-up test, did you support the car at HARDPOINTS rather
    than allowing the suspension to become a factor? Involving the
    wheels is totally NOT the way to do a three-point static
    deflection test.
    _H*

12. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wen,

Please check your email as I have responded to both.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 3 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]454546[/snapback]</div>

13. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 3 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]454552[/snapback]</div>
    Yes - the other 3 points (the recommended jackup points) are supported on jacks with no influence by the suspension. The key of the test was to evaluate the stiffness of the body and not the suspension.

Darell: thank you for clearing up who said what... once again, you are correct. The BT plate is stiffer than the original plate in terms of a bending moment. However, it provides no strength advantage in tension. The misstatement was by Ken and not by me....

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 3 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]454497[/snapback]</div>
    No, I do not think that I missed the point of your message. You have yet to explain this bit of histrionics:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 3 2007, 04:48 AM) [snapback]454311[/snapback]</div>

15. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jun 3 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]454607[/snapback]</div>
    :D A large part of me sincerely believes this BT plate will really "improve" the "handling problems" we are finding with strong cross-winds on the Interstate........... I ordered the plate about 1 1/2 weeeks ago and just found out TODAY they are on back order, I am very anxious to receive and install the BT plate as I am also "hoping for the best" that this plate WILL make a noticable handling difference !!

:( Unfortunately another part of me reads all these NEGATIVE posts, and I am NOT saying they are not sincere or not true.......... but it has me a little worried that there might be a very small chance that we (Wife and I) will NOT "feel" any difference in handling as the 1% of those that bought and installed it experienced ............ again, not sorry I ordered the plate, just very anxious to install it and actually TRY IT !!

Unlike Sears, Lowe's, Home Depot or Wal-Mart.......... I just CAN'T put it back in the original box and RETURN it if I am NOT "fully satisfied"..................

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ Jun 3 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]454537[/snapback]</div>
    OK.. so what are you trying to say thats it doesn't work now?....

Thats 4 people out of how many now?.... even if it were 96 satisfied customers out there... that only 4% dissapproval rating?.. that hardly indicates a bad product???

But I think the number may be closer to 1000...that would mean 0.4%?

Maybe Brian has better numbers of satisfied plate customers thus far.

I think those are phenominal odds..... no product on the planet has that good of an odds I can think of?

Congratulations Brian on an excellent product with an "extremely" high customer satisfaction, this product has been quite a service for a little amount of money... and made of real quality too... far above and beyond the necessary requirements in both strength and beauty to do the job it does!

17. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Put me in the skeptic camp. Until I see some hard data from a skid pad test or something like that, I am hesitant to order one.

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 3 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]454623[/snapback]</div>
    I makes perfect sense to be a skeptic until you try one.... I was too!.....

The problem we have here are those that attach claims of fact being totally unfounded to thier skeptical fears, and ignore the positive claims of those who actually try the plate.

There are many things in the store I may never buy because I'm not sold on whether they will work.... thats ok, but I don't stand in the aisle at the store preaching against it either!

19. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gentlemen and Ladies,

Couple of questions.

1. Brain and Wen - can you just PM each other and not make this any longer and muddle with tangeants? :D

2. What is the official product description of the BT Stiffening Plate?

"Tired of being rocked around by the wind or larger passing vehicles? Then the BT Tech Chassis Stiffening Plate is exactly what you're looking for!
    Designed to stiffen the chassis of the Prius and provide better handing, this plate is fully CNC designed and milled using 6061-T6 and has a black anodized finish. It will be supplied with 4 stainless steel bolts and washers for an OEM look and fit."

That is the desription that is in the PC Shop. I feel that this is a very subjective product description. I guess what I am asking here is for Brian to provide a more "official and more detailed" description.

When selling an item, I would assume that tests are done, and some sort of R & D is completed.

If person A feels a "very small change but only when..." and person B feels a "huge difference, especially when..." doesn't the produce achieve the advertised effect, since the advertised effect doesn't state the specific "levels of change" in the handling and overall feel of the car?

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Jun 3 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]454631[/snapback]</div>
    I"m not sure I follow your line of reasoning?..... This thread has gone 3 whole pages without my input while folks have been slamming and hammering Brian and he has graciously kept quiet also until now , now all of a sudden I'm the one causing trouble?...

If we want to keep this "Gentlemen"... lets do it and quit accusing about things we don't know about.