1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening Plate does not improve ride

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by John in LB, Jun 1, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 4 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]454896[/snapback]</div>
    "windstrings" - THANKS for kind and wise words (post #80, right before this one). I KNOW the Prius is NOT a "race-car" and that is why it has been "assigned" as the Wife's vehicle........... I am still a bit too aggressive in my driving techniques, NOT dangerous, just like to do the speed limit and get around those uncovered-load gravel trucks on the highway dropping stones.............
    This is why we also bought the "Touring" edition..... luckily it is available now in '07 !! I figured a bit stiffer suspension, wider tires, etc. every little bit helps !!
    Two vehicles ago I had a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL (original owner) and I put (when the Michelin MXV4's quickly wore out and were crap in the Florida rain) on Bridgestone SO-3 Pole Position tires (actually one size larger) and these babies made that "family sedan" handle excellently. NO (or very, very minimal) hydroplaning during the Florida "rainy season downpours" and stuck like glue around hard cornering in dry weather............ I KNOW this Prius is NOT THAT vehicle............. nor is it the '69 Plymouth GTX 440 I had during High School days :lol: !!

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My very first car was a 64 Olds Cutlass... you know... jacked up air shocks and 60's the back etc etc, and then my second car was Plymouth Grand Fury, then another new Olds cutlass "82", then a 79 Chevy Van with insulation and 3/4 inch plywood in the back and the full sound gear of course! LOL!, then and Isuzu Trooper, then another, then a 95 Jeep Grand Cherekee "which I still own", We also have a 96 Nissan Altima "which is now my sons" and we had a 96 Cirrus "now my daughters", and then my two new prius's!

That long story was to explain that these prius's are the best responding, tightest and closest to a race car I've even owned. I really like the electronic steering as it seems directly connected whereas hydralics seem to have a tiny lag....
    Coming to work this AM, I dodged a turtle with ease while going about 65mph.
    I feel I could dodge a dime on the road!, but I honestly feel that before the plate I didn't feel that "connection" that the body now has with what I tell it to do with the steering wheel.

I'm sure I may go nuts if I was in a real sportscar, but until then, I really I'm really enjoying my prius!

3. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 3 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]454623[/snapback]</div>
    Although we disagree on other topics (i.e., Toyota OEM oil filter interchangeability), I concur with Swanny's sentiments on this one.

4. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm really getting sick of reading this topic.

If anyone think of spending $165 and your car will handle like a Ferrari, you are dead wrong. For me, BT Plate do improved the car handling, but I would not say that all Prius owner will felt the same way. If you don't felt it, no harm is done. This purchase will be just one of the upgrade to improve your car ride. You might need to add more than just BT plate to improve the car handling.

Can we just stop bashing this product? :angry: :angry: or Can we start bashing TOM'S product now? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The cost of the thing is miniscule. It hasn't turned my prius into a porsche (it was alread like a porsche because of the red paint and stickers). My perception after driving for 6 months without it is that the car is much more stable and tight feeling with it.

1. It is inexpensive
    2. If one doesn't like it, one can advertise it here and sell it in a heartbeat.
    3. Those of us who perceive benefit aren't crazy and neither are those who don't perceive one, that's what makes a horserace folks.

Someone with say a charcoal prius might buy it thinking it will perorm like a red prius with stickers. Well that is just silly, that will never happen. B)

6. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ Jun 4 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]454952[/snapback]</div>
    I personally feel that TIRES are one of the items that make a HUGE difference in "performance and handling" !! Got rid of worn and "slippery" Michelin MXV4's on a Honda Accord EX Coupe (1990) and replaced with Bridgestones (I think they were RE930's) and wow what a difference..............
    Same thing with my 2000 Acura 3.2TL, got the crappy Michelin MXV4 Energy's off and replaced with Bridgestone SO-3 Pole Positions (Summer Only - can get away with that stuff down here in Florida !!) and wow, what a transformation..................
    :rolleyes:

7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 4 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]455036[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, but a set of wider tires cost way more than $165 for the plate.... You may recall in my response to your original post on the thread you started about stability of your car in cross winds, I commented how my car with 205 mm tires was not affected by some pretty strong crosswinds. Hopefully, the BT plate will do the trick. If not, then wider tires will definitely give you relief.

8. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jun 4 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]455055[/snapback]</div>
    I was just responding to this post:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ Jun 4 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]454952[/snapback]</div>
    ............meaning that the NEXT STEP (after installing the BT PLATE), when these OEM Prius tires get worn, (which from what I read the Bridgestones on the Touring wear rapidly??), I will then try a "better" tire with a "stickier" tread compound as down here in Florida we have NO need for "All-Season" compromise tires and have better handling with "Summer only" tires in the heavy rain (and wind) we get !!

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 4 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]455062[/snapback]</div>
    Stickier (as reflected in the Treadwear rating) can adversely impact mileage. So, you may have some research ahead of you. But it is possible to come out ahead in both resistance to cross winds and fuel economy.

10. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jun 4 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]455081[/snapback]</div>
    YES, I know that the Prius gets great gas mileage due to it's LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires and if one "messes around" and changes to a "normal" type of tire, with what I call a "stickier" tread compound, that gas mileage could suffer a bit............ it's quite a trade-off :huh:

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Jun 4 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]455034[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: ... maybe thats why I feel mine does so well!... .My prius is red too!, the stickers must not be necessary as I don't have any.... :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 4 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]455036[/snapback]</div>
    I agree tires are a biggy and is necessary money invested, but they wear down and you have to keep buying them again and again.. but the plate is forever..... just like every true religion!

Long live the plate!!! :lol:

12. priussoris

priussoris New Member

The BT Tech plate works oh maybe it doesn't another 6?? or longer thread coming soon .

However if you hold the BT tech plate and wear a wife beater you just might be a redneck! :lol: :lol:

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jun 4 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]455132[/snapback]</div>
    Now lets not give it a bad image.. is its a beautiful piece of art and machine work even before you put it on the car.... I like to think of it a little more elegant, like right on the mantel of my wall, next to the cubans! :)

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy it for yourself. Try it. Dedide if if feels better to you. Keep it or don't, based upon that.

It's soooooo simple to swap out...even a GIRL can do it!

Honestly, it's such a such a small and relatively insignificant piece of hardware (take a look at the TOM'S braces and where they connect to if you want to see some serious bracing)...slap it on, drive, and find out for yourself.

I'm wondering if all the 'disbelievers,' in reality, simply don't trust themselves to come to a conclusion on this...instead needing mountains of scientific data to validate whatever they might happen/want to believe.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 4 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]455160[/snapback]</div>
    I think so... if its too easy, they don't trust it... there must be a catch, and most of all, if they can't understand and recreate how it works.. that really drives them crazy!... I don' t see anyone worrying about Toms braces because of the extra hardware it must do something right?

Just as easy are people fooled by giving them something for thier intellect to chew on and its nothing but empty parts that do nothing but since it seems like it "should" do something, people buy it!

This goes both ways!

Snake oil always worked because of all its secret ingredients and reasoning that made it seem natural that it should work... another example of how reasoning is often the weaker vessel in determining reality.

Without reasoning... a majician could not do his tricks.. but he learns how the mind works.. the little boxes it thinks in and then the majician operates "outside" the box and the audience is fooled!

Sometimes the best things in life are simple!.... Like love, children, and God, but many that are too smart for themselves cheat themselves with thier own intellect!

16. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    for me, it works. Less drifting in the wind, more solid feeling especially around corners... I am happy to have it!

17. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Jun 4 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]455182[/snapback]</div>
    This news is good to hear....... I am very curious and I was wondering if your 2007 is a Touring or Non-Touring Prius ????
    My plate will be arriving shortly......... we have an '07 Touring (with the "stiffer" suspension and wider tires).

18. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Jun 4 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]455182[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly how I feel. When I leave my apartment complex there is a crooked speed bump. By crooked, I mean angled, so that each tire will hit the speed bump one at a time. Pre-Plate my wife and I felt like we were going to get thrown through the windows. After BT we felt the bumps, but no where near as bad as before. She was quite shocked that something like that would provide a difference.

And to be honest, I still am. I don't get how it works, but I feel that it does. I don't feel I wasted my $150 bux on it at all, and should we double up on the Prius, we will get another.

19. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 4 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]455160[/snapback]</div>
    This is exactly why I am a skeptic.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Jun 4 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]455232[/snapback]</div>
    Your positive comments I'm sure are appreciated by Brian... unfortunately, whether 100 people post to the postive, it doesn't seem to sway those who are bound by doubt.

I see the power of fear similiar to trying to dive off of a high platform into the water... everyone that has tried it before tells the diver its ok and it was fun and to go ahead and jump, but the information his eyes tell him combined with his fears overpower sound reasoning to believe anything else.