1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BethlehemPrius, Feb 4, 2007.

1. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Thought I would post my findings on this since I read so many discussions on here about the plate.

Just installed it tonight and took the car down the bumpiest road I know which I have traveled prior to switching out the plates.

I think it makes a big difference in the ride of the car. I remember someone stating that they really felt it in the seat after installing it and I would totally agree. I use to feel the bumps in the seat and now it just seems as though the shocks take them more than I do. The car also feels tighter to me and more stiff.

Maybe it is the total placebo effect but I think it is worth it. Well that is my 2 cents.

2. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you Bethlehem for posting your impressions of our BT Tech stiffening plate.

What you described is what is most reported back to us that install our plate. The car feels more stable and "tighter" more refined.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Feb 4 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]385336[/snapback]</div>

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Feb 4 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]385336[/snapback]</div>
    Be careful! There are some PriusChat denizens that might put a contract out on you for praising the BT Plate. Of course, none of them actually own a BT Plate. :D

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great to see you're enjoying the plate. Try not to have too much fun in the turns or you may be compelled on going all out on handling improvements ;)

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had the plate on my car for half a year now and I'm convinced it helps a lot.

I'm glad others are finding out about it, too.

My car also has the TRD lowering suspension installed, and I have to admit to high centering the car on a driveway entrance for the first time yesterday. The BT plate hangs below the chassis (whereas the original brace is recessed because it's lots thinner) and, even though I always try to be careful, it happened...

Didn't 'catch' the front lip of the plate, fortunately (I've been fearful that this would happen and rip it right off, or cause some major bendage underneath the car)...the car just sort of bottomed,, scraped for a bit along the flat part of the brace, and then we were moving forward freely again...

Everything's a compromise; that said, the BT Brace is *definitely* worth it in my opinion.

6. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Feb 6 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]386333[/snapback]</div>

WOW! Pinto Girl. Bendage? I believe you've added a new word to the language. I love it!

7. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How does this plate on a regular Prius compare to a touring model Prius with the plate?

8. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The touring has the same plate as a stock Prius. It's still a worthwhile upgrade. Adding a stiffening plate will give some more bracing to the chassis and allow the touring suspension to work more effectively, as well.

9. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    B) I will be installing the plate soon on my 07 touring. I have 8K on the car with a pretty good idea how it handled over all kinds of roads (see below). My experience with a regular Prius is limited to day rental 5 months ago, so I won't have a comparison there.

I would really like to know is what the "Tuned" Suspension actually means. I tune my guitar and know the physics involved there, but what does "tuned" mean for the Prius. :huh:

10. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Mar 1 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]398849[/snapback]</div>
    I understand that.

I guess I didn't ask my question correctly, let me try again. The Touring model has a better suspension. I'm wondering if I install the BT Tech stiffening plate on my regular Prius, how close will it be compared to the Touring models ride.

11. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One non-word: $

The Toyota part is bent steel, costs them maybe $2 tops. The BT Tech plate is CNC milled and anodized aircraft-alloy aluminium. Stronger, lighter, stiffer, and a few dollars more...

13. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay I think I have a general idea of what the plate does, but why is it under the car and not just a strut tower brace in the engine compartment?

14. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Mar 3 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]399818[/snapback]</div>

The plate will make the stock Prius handle significantly better, but there will still be significant difference from the Touring's handling characteristics. All the plate is doing is bracing the chassis, the stock Prius suspension is still the same squishiness, but it should be a bit more effective.

15. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So for those who have had the plate installed, where did you take it to get installed? Certainly not the Toyota dealer right?

Dave

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Mar 5 2007, 03:14 AM) [snapback]400222[/snapback]</div>
    Sigma Automotive sells something like that, but it's much more expensive.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Mar 5 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]400513[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have one, but I can answer that some have had the dealer do it, or a mechanic and several have installed it themselves. Take a look at Darell's site to see what needs to be done.

17. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Have had the plate on our 2005 for a long time. I believe it was very helpful in cornering (not racing).

Just bought 2 2007 Prius cars, Traded the 2005. Got one new plate from Brian and removed the one from 2005 (replaced with original). Put them both on. It takes 15 minutes or so. Helps to drive front wheels up a small ramp--ie 2 2x6. You have to get the correct hex bit, I believe Brian sells them as well.

Only question, directions on original plate said torque to 22-24 ft/lbs and on new one said 17 ft/lbs.
    Actually with the "inexpensive" torque wrench I have not too much different.

There was no directional control problem on any of the three cars BEFORE the plate. Just feels "more stable" with the plate.
    I highly recommend the product.
    Carl

18. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malibucarl @ Mar 5 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]400589[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm? I haven't thought about the BT plate in a long time. I've had it on since late Fall. I'm typically taking 2 lane city street corners at 20 mph. I don't think I'd ever done that before installing the plate. So, I hadn't really tested that just before and after installation. But, it could be helping without me knowing about it.

Dave M.

19. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Mar 5 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]400513[/snapback]</div>
    I'm one of the ones who did have the dealer install it, for about $11. They really liked it and wondered why Toyota wasn't using them instead of the factory plates.

As for me, I love the Bt stiffening plate. It helps in 40+ mile per hour winds we've been having out here in NM--especially last week when I had a 300 mile drive I had to make to Santa Fe! I really don't bounce around as much as I used to and the car seems to be under control.

Gilahiker

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  20. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to respond and comment about our BT Tech Prius stiffening plate.

Regarding the installation, most of our customers installed the plate themselves. It really is as simple as removing 4 bolts and installing 4 more. The actual install takes only a few minutes time and can easily be handled by the DYI type or by any local mechanic or oil change shop. Some of our customers have even had their local Toyota dealership install it for them!! :)

You can purchase our stiffening plate through the PC online store or by calling us direct at the number listed below. Please note that if you are thinking about getting one, I would suggest placing your order soon as we are again running low on our current batch of plates.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gilahiker @ Mar 6 2007, 12:51 AM) [snapback]400676[/snapback]</div>