1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BethlehemPrius, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Any new deals on the $165 price?

2. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    From time to time Danny will run 20 dollar off sales on our stiffening plate for all orders received through the Prius Chat store.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Mar 7 2007, 05:06 AM) [snapback]401513[/snapback]</div>

3. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well let me know when you have a special going and I will buy one.....maybe two.

4. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Mar 7 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]401969[/snapback]</div>

Doh! I just ordered one today. I guess I'll miss the sale. <_<

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ Mar 4 2007, 1:54 PM) [snapback]399998[/snapback]</div>
    If you look under the current Lexus 250/350/400/h or the new Camry, you might see something similiar and familiar with the stock Prius.

6. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You might want to email Danny directly as I alone do not determine when he runs the sale on our product.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Mar 7 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]401986[/snapback]</div>

Thank you for your purchase!!

Please let us know your impressions of our BT Tech stiffening plate once you get it installed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MacDude @ Mar 8 2007, 01:13 AM) [snapback]402066[/snapback]</div>

7. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MacDude @ Mar 7 2007, 08:13 PM) [snapback]402066[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes: I just got mine today! It is a real nice piece of machined art. I won't be able to install it till Saturday and the suspense is killing me. Danny, don't put it on sale, it looks like it is worth every penny. I'll let you all know how it "rides" B)

Lee

8. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you Lee for your comments on our stiffening plate!! She sure is purty aint she?? :)

Please let us know your impressions after you get a chance to install it!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 8 2007, 02:40 AM) [snapback]402102[/snapback]</div>

9. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :rolleyes: I Just installed the BT Tech Stiffening Plate so I thought I'd add a few preliminary findings. I have a 07 Touring edition and there has been questions about the benefit of the BT plate in my mind and in others with the TE.

First, let me say the install was easy. The most difficult part was holding a mirror with one hand and pulling the torque wrench with the other. The mirror was necessary to see the needle on my old-fashioned torque wrench. Make sure your torque wrench can measure as low as the 17 ft/lbs necessary. There wasn't a lot of room under the car with the front wheels up on a 8 inch ramp. Some you well endowed folks (top or middle :eek: ) may need more height :rolleyes:

The first impression are positive. The first thing I noticed was the bump when the wheels moved off the driveway and to the gutter. The car seemed to absorb it better than before. The car felt smoother over the rough roads I took and seemed to be stiffer as it rolled over the bumps. I am very aware of the connection between placebo effect and the price of the gizmo, but it does seem to do what is advertised....even improving the drive of the Touring Edition. B)

More later....

Lee

10. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you Lee for your initial report after installing our stiffening plate.

I just finished up installing stiffening plates this weekend on 4 local guys cars. 3 of them at the touring model and 1 had the standard Prius.

Hopefully they will chime in here and give us their impressions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 10 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]403498[/snapback]</div>

11. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 5 2007, 03:19 AM) [snapback]400198[/snapback]</div>
    Although it might only cost Toyota $2 to make, has anyone ever checked to see what it would actually cost to buy the OEM part from a Toyota parts counter? It would be interesting to see a price comparison (with a valid Toyota part number, as well).

12. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Mar 11 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]403890[/snapback]</div>
    This is the only thing that is stopping me, I mean geez, $180 for a piece of metal? I wonder what the real cost is to make the BT Tech plate is? Probably about $5. I would get it if the price were say, $75 or so. But $180 is a joke. My car handles fine, thanks.

Dave

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^

Have you seen what other parts are out there? $180 is a bargain! I believe that Brian has mentioned before that they don't make mad profit off of this. It certainly is a fine piece of machined metal, though.

14. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :) Another progress report on my Touring + BT plate:

Since my last post above I have put 200 miles on the car. I traveled freeways of various quality, surface and feeder streets, potholes and bumps, RR tracks and speed humps and just about any thing I could try except dirt roads and windy conditions. I noticed:

1. The car body seems to absorb more vibrations caused by bumps, potholes and the washboard effect on well used freeways. Less is felt in the seat of the car, or my seat! Felt much smoother.

2. There was this taut feel about the car as it handled the varous road surfaces.

3. Speed humps seemed to be smoothed out and could be taken much faster without the jarring.

4. Biggest change was how the car handled the change of slope from driveway to street, and the resulting bump of the dip. The stiffness of the chassis was apparent.

5. For some dang reason, (probably because I've been reading about sound dampening on PC) I am aware of more road noise. Not sure this is at all related to the plate, or the fact that sound dampening is next on my "mods" wish list! Anybody notice the same?

6. BETTER FE! But alas, the days are warmer now so just coincidental, but it makes me wonder if a stiffer chassis gives better performance as well as handling.

I have no problem with the price. Unless this plate gets mass produced for some other application, the current price is just what it costs to get it made especially in the U.S. (I am assuming it is made here!). When it is made in Bejiing and sold at Costco, then the $80 price would be fitting.

More later,

Lee B)

15. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Dave and thank you for your feedback. As I have mentioned many times I am NOT getting rich selling this part. The CNC programming that was done for the stiffening plate and several revisions have cost me A LOT of money to do. The BT Tech stiffening plate is not a sand cast part that costs just a few dollars to make. It is made in a state of the art machine shop that specializes in extremely high quality items for major aerospace companies and for the US military. In other words, this is NOT something that is made overseas.

It is fully CNC machined on a mill that costs over 1 million dollars and each plate takes quite a bit of time to machine all of the strengthening ribs, notches and holes to a precision of better than .003" per plate!! This is essential for a perfect fit so that the customer does not have to spend time "modifying" the part to fit!!

The material is made from billet 6061-T6 aluminum and after machining is tested for tolerances, cleaned, tumbled and then type III hard coat anodized to mil specs. We then supply each plate with stainless steel fastners which have been coated with a anti-seize lubricant and clear tape is wrapped around each bolt so that it stays on the bolt and the person installing them does not get it all over their fingers. We also supply each plate with complete installation instructions.

I am sorry if you feel that our stiffening plate is priced too high but IMO it truly is a bargain for the quality that you are getting and the improvements it makes for the Prius.

BTW, the price is 165 and not 180.00 that you quoted below.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Mar 11 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]403964[/snapback]</div>

16. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It may be a nicely made part, but at $165 it is a bit much for me. What is that email address to try and get a lower price?

17. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just a "heads-up" guys, we are down to the last 10 stiffening plates that we currently have in stock. We currently have on order another batch being made up now but the exact ETA is probably another 4-6 weeks away.

For those that were thinking of purchasing one, now would be a good time to do so.

You can purchase the BT Tech Prius stiffening plate directly from us by calling the number below or through the PC online store by clicking the link that I have below.

18. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Mar 14 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]405636[/snapback]</div>
    I would suggest they call you, from what I've heard others say. Ordering directly is the quickest approach. Although it's probably the best thing for PC to go through the online store. And we do owe PC a lot.

Dave M.

19. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd love to give this product a try, if the price was lower than $165.

20. MGM

MGM New Member

Just got my BT Stiffening Plate. Absolutely beautifully machined. I've bought many aftermarket parts for my old RSX and Civics. This is the most beautifully machined part that I have purchased. Much better than OEM quality. It's a shame that it will be placed under the car where no one will see it. Can't wait until the weekend to install it.

Thanks Brian!