1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BethlehemPrius, Feb 4, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me give my personal summary.
    1)Lots and lots of anecdotal support for a 'seat of the pants' improvement in ride/handling with the plate.

2)One carefully done test showing no benefit, but its validity has been seriously called into question by someone that sounds to be an authority on the subject.

3)A handful of subjective evaluations by professional drivers and a 'hill test' (which, based upon Ken's statements must also be viewed with a skeptical eye) showing benefit.

Conclusion:
    We'll certainly never have scientific proof of the exact benefits or lack there of of the plate. At $165 let the buyer beware of that fact. That said, knowing what I know, if my car were stolen and I bought another Prius tomorrow I'd be ordering another BT plate tomorrow to go with it. I'm willing to accept that I'm not immune to the powers of suggestion and that my conviction that the plate works could be a figment of my imagination. But neither do I think I'd be happy without the plate on there b/c my brain would also be telling me I could be doing better with the plate.

YMMV. I again beg that we let this conversation die barring any other significant NEW contributions or points not previously addressed.

2. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Evan for your post.

There are literally hundreds of posts on this subject now and plenty of information available for those that care to read through them. I want to mention that Danny currently has our BT Tech plate on sale in the PC store for 145.00 INCLUDING shipping!! This sale will end this weekend and by the looks of all of the orders that we have so far received we might be out of stock by this weekend. If we do in fact run out and you purchased your BT plate while the sale is going on, you will be locked into the sale price as soon as we receive our next shipment.

You can order your BT plate by clicking on the link I provided below.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 24 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]429460[/snapback]</div>

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Apr 24 2007, 08:25 PM) [snapback]429437[/snapback]</div>
    I was wondering if I may ask you a few questions?

I have seen times when the plate was on back order and it indeed took a long time to get.. but mine came in a very expedient manner and time frame.

1. When did you order your plate?
    2. What date did you recieve it?
    3. What date did you install it?
    4. What date did you return from your 1200 mile trip?
    5. What date did you do your testing in your garage and how long did that take?
    6. What date did you take it back off your car as you were finished with it?
    7. And do you plan to return it now that you are done with it?

I'm curious to know how much time it took for you to do all your testing in your garage as well as make your 1200 mile trip through curvey mountain roads?

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 24 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]429270[/snapback]</div>
    Allan did this: He measured the sag with no plate. It was about 4 inches. He then measured the sag with the OEM plate. It was about 4 inches. Then he measured the sag with the BT Plate. It was about 4 inches. Read his posts. The car sagged 4 inches no matter which plate was in it, or if no plate was in it.

Toyota says the OEM plate has nothing to do with stiffness. It is located in a way that should not affect stiffness, And by Allan's measurements, neither plate affects stiffness.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken Stewart @ Apr 24 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]429398[/snapback]</div>
    And yet Allan measured a sag of about 4 inches. Regardless of whether any plate was on the car or not.

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 24 2007, 09:27 PM) [snapback]429548[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm. I wonder if the Prius chassis is in imminent risk of failure? (Even the new ones.)

6. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div align="center">Think FENG SHUI!</div>

7. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 24 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]429553[/snapback]</div>
    No - its not - its just a very flexible frame - designed for casual driving.

The structure is on the flimsy side ifor the purpose of weight reduction and economics. It is fit for purpose and is well engineered by Toyota to achieve their goal.

I agree with Evan - this topic should be closed.

Allan, thank you for your hard work.

Everyone else - I hope there are no hard feelings... and lets move on to a new topic: Nitrogen in tires!!!! :D :p ;)

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Apr 25 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]429653[/snapback]</div>
    My question as to the time frames in reference of tests is not mean't to be arguemenative your honor, it is simply to establish credibility in claims and statements by the plaintiff.

I'm not trying to be smart either, but simply to add a little humour to the case.

Evan has requested that new information be brought to the table if we are to continue this case without contention.

If what the case the plaintiff is presenting is "not possible" due to time constraints or the depth of investigation the plaintiff claims is not possible due to time constraints, that would dismiss the case?

We have been having issues with credibility here and I"m trying to simply establish that level.

We the people and the defendant "Brian" has been charged as being inaccurate in our assessment of the BT Plate either by reason of insanity or being purely misled or at best mistaken in our perceptions and interpretation of feedback from driving our cars with said plate installed?

If so many people can be challenged as to thier credibility and "its ok", then why the resistance on challenging the credibility of this one who presents his case against so many?

IN search for the truth, a test has been presented... have we already concluded that the test was not accurate yet?.. if so, I withdraw my question your honor.

9. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 25 2007, 05:27 AM) [snapback]429673[/snapback]</div>
    No one's credibility has been challenged. Both parties are correct. You feel an improvement (and the plate is stiffer, so your feeling is consistent with that) and the difference in chassis stiffness overall is not significantly measureable - just as Allan has reported.

So, the ruling stands.... buy the BT plate if you feel it will help you. If you don't like it, Brian will give you your money back.

Case is dismissed! :rolleyes:

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 24 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]429460[/snapback]</div>
    I would agree, except we're rapidly approaching 500 posts. Aren't we going to let it go that far?

Dave M.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Apr 25 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]430056[/snapback]</div>
    See, that's a valid new piece of data!

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Apr 25 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]429946[/snapback]</div>
    This is mainly to burp it up to 500 posts, but is the money back guarantee true? It's just that I don't recall seeing that on one of Brian's posts. I suspect it would apply to just a very tiny piece of a percentage (like 0.00001% of the buyers), but I was curious.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 25 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]430137[/snapback]</div>
    Somewhere along the line I do seem to recall him saying that he'd give back the money to anyone not satisfied.

14. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 25 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]430141[/snapback]</div>
    So, Brian BT TECH is it a money back if not happy with the plate? one more post closer to 500

15. draker

draker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Asked my local Toyota dealer to install my plate this past week. At first I was given the ok, but then an "official" Prius tech decided this would not do. They, in fact, called Toyota and were told not to install it.

Just thought you might want to know.

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(draker @ Apr 25 2007, 04:58 PM) [snapback]430183[/snapback]</div>
    If it were me, I'd try another dealer. Several have had their dealer installing for a small fee.

17. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd like to really, REALLY thank Ken for sharing his expertise and knowledge on this subject. I believe it's the most information that's been posted from someone who's had actual professional hands on experience in industry evaluating, measuring, and testing of the strength of automobile chassis. Just because someone is from Toyota and may even be an "expert" on Priuses, doesn't necessarily mean they have any knowledge on this specific issue.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  19. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 25 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]430135[/snapback]</div>
    This thread is getting more than out of hand and with the sole benefit of BT tech free advertising.

Moderators, please relocate this topic to " Sponsored SALES "

20. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is very odd as we never had someone mention to us that a dealer would not install our plate. If you do not feel comfortable installing it yourself any tire shop or mechanic would be easily able to install it for you.

In fact we sell our BT plates to several Toyota dealerships so this is why this struck me as very odd.

Please let me know if I can be of any assitance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(draker @ Apr 25 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]430183[/snapback]</div>