1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BethlehemPrius, Feb 4, 2007.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dancekat59 @ May 11 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]440182[/snapback]</div>
    Right, I guess you have to "not" own the plate and have never installed it or ridden in a car with it to be an expert and know it really doesn't work!.... LOL!

I don't think I want one of thoes "experts" piloting my next flight overseas!

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 11 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]440365[/snapback]</div>
    They might not plot your next flight overseas.... But then again, you have a reasonable chance that someone who owns a Prius and hasn't installed a BT Tech stiffening plate will be controlling (from ATC) your next flight within the U.S. :)

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 11 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]440365[/snapback]</div>
    IGOR! It was tongue in cheek! He was kidding - look at his signature list.

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ May 12 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]440672[/snapback]</div>
    Oh I know!... I wasn't directing anything negative at him.... just playing off his post.....

Its good to see the differering opinions, as strong as they may be, yet the apparent proofs that deny each... it just goes to show you that Life is rarely as it seems on the surface.

Everyone knows my stand... the plate does not turn the prius into an masserati, but it does earn its moneys worth by far.

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Windstrings, are out causin' trouble again!! :) :)

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to comment online about our BT Tech plate!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 12 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]440715[/snapback]</div>

6. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

Just installed my plate.

Tipped a guy at a shop to do it for me for 5 bucks.

Of Coarse - I forgot my Hex Head I bought for 8 bucks from Metro....

So I guess it really cost me 13 bucks *sigh*

Oh well.

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Windstrings, are out causin' trouble again!! :) :)

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to comment online about our BT Tech plate!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 12 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]440715[/snapback]</div>

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ May 12 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]440856[/snapback]</div>
    I may be wrong, but I don't try to cause trouble, but rather expose it!

9. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :) :)

As a side note, on our next batch of BT Tech plates I have a few that are being anodized in Red, Clear (Silver) and Blue!! This is just a test to see how many people there are interested in obtaining one in a color other than black.

I am only having a few of them made in each of these colors so for those that are going to order one please indicate if you are interested in the above colors. If we happen to run out don't be suprised if you get a black one!! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 13 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]440900[/snapback]</div>

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ May 12 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]440908[/snapback]</div>
    Woah! When they are done, please post pics ASAP!!

11. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ May 13 2007, 01:03 AM) [snapback]440908[/snapback]</div>
    This plate appears to be made of solid aluminum sheet stock. Why is all the milling done? I would think this would reduce the "stiffness" to some degree. I understand the milling to provide clearence for mounting, but is all the other milling "eye candy"? Also, the original is steel and this one is aluminum. I thought there were concerns when you mount aluminum to steel (galvanic action)?

12. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My car is about 10 months old. I got my BT Plate back in January but didn't install it until this weekend. Now, I drove the car for ten months without the plate and I can state with out a doubt that the car just feels more planted with the plate. That is the best way I can describe it. The wind was blowing heavily up on highway 280 and I took it for a run up there. The handling in the wind was noticeably better. I took it over some bumpy roads and it seems to feell more stable there also. There is one road near my house that has huge speed bumps (the kind that you literally drive up and over), it feels much more stable going over them. It isn't going to turn your prius into a porsche, but it sure does make it drive better. I'm happy as hell with the plate and in the end, that is all that matters. It works for me. Thank you BT Tech- I look at the thing and wonder how it does it, but it does it somehow.

13. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I put about 800 interstate highway miles on the Prius this past weekend. After having been passed by big trucks, going through two heavy thunderstorms, and trying to "draft" behind a couple of trucks, I must report the plate does make a difference on my car on the highway. My "round town" report is listed above. The crosswinds and wind blasts from passing trucks has been reduced. The wind buffet you feel pulling in behing a big rig to draft for a while is muffled substantially.

14. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetMan2 @ May 13 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]441027[/snapback]</div>
    You bring up a good point with the galvanic action question. I worked in the electricial transmission field and when we spliced ACSR conductors, (aluminium conductor steel reinforced) we had to add a "filler compound" to prevent galvanic action. Without the filler compound the splice or fitting we were using would fail over time. I have seen this failure and it is not good when 230KV lines start dropping. On a boat and wherever you have aluminium and steel together there is a sacrificial anode installed to help prevent this galvanic action. I not sure if it would happen in the case of the BT plate or not. If there would be a problem I feel that it would take a long time to develop.

15. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ May 14 2007, 05:01 AM) [snapback]441524[/snapback]</div>
    I guess one could always put a little " NOALOX" between the BT Tech Plate and mounting surface to help with that concern.

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ May 14 2007, 04:01 AM) [snapback]441524[/snapback]</div>
    I'm no chemist (nor do I play one on TV), but I assumed one of the reasons for anodizing was to create an aluminum oxide barrier that would prevent galvanic action. Chemists out there can correct me.
    Of course, the more obvious reason is for color.

Dave M.

17. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 14 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]441790[/snapback]</div>
    I'm no chemist either, but the website showing the plate clearly shows the relieved area milled AFTER the anodizing (at least in that area). Anadizing is a VERY thin layer and I doubt it would stop the reaction, but it might hold if off for awhile. The other concern ( I did not share in my last post) is stopping the flexability in the car. When you ride in a plane, the wings flex all over for a reason. If you were to brace them up to stop the flexing, there would be dire consequences. If you stiffen up the Prius, maybe stress fractures will form elsewhere in the frame?

18. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is absolutely correct Dave. All of our BT Tech plates are hard annodized type III and the annodized surface is actually .005-.006" thick!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 14 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]441790[/snapback]</div>

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ May 14 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]442003[/snapback]</div>
    So, are you warranting the plate against causing galvanic corrosion when attached to the frame?

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 14 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]442125[/snapback]</div>
    Didn't they make engines that had aluminum heads and cast iron blocks or something of that nature?... was that an issue then?

Isn't the bottom of the car already painted and protected too?...Do we really have bare metal to metal to worry about?

But as far as warranty.... how do you warranty a part that someone else "a non professional" is installing and could totally scratch and buggar up the surfaces on?

I haven't ever heard of this being an issue with the BT plate... its got quite a history now so there is no use in stirring up fears about things that never happen, and if it did, I dont' think the car would crumble out from underneath you due to corrosion.

Some folks are looking for any fault they can find because they must be totally scorched that so many love the plate and to this day find it effective and rewarding to have....