1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BethlehemPrius, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mean Green Machine @ Mar 15 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]406548[/snapback]</div>
    ;) Good luck on the install, see my above comments for some suggestions. I agree on the beauty of the Plate. If the price does come down to where REST can buy, I will get another and use it as a paperweight :rolleyes:!

2. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks guys for your nice comments about our stiffening plate!! :)

I look forward to reading about your impressions after installing it on your Prius.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 16 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]406555[/snapback]</div>

3. NoMoreX5

NoMoreX5 New Member

I have driven the car exactly 41 miles and have no opinion of the handling one way or the other. After reading the positive feedback this part has received, I ordered one. I installed sub-frame connectors on a Mustang I had some years ago and noticed a huge difference; I hope this is will be the case with this part. I'll be driving the car alot till the part gets here and will provide MHO regarding the performance once the BT stiffening plate is installed.

Regards,
    Matt

4. MGM

MGM New Member

Just installed the BT Stiffening Plate in my 07 Touring Edition.

Installation: A breeze. The hardest part was figuring out where to place the jack in order to jack up the car and put it on jack stands. After that, it's just four bolts and you're done. 30 minutes install time, including taking a refreshment break in the middle.

Initial Driving Impressions: The car body structure does feel stiffer, more like it's carved out of one piece of metal instead of many pieces joined together. High speed turns seem more "planted" and stable. It does seem more solid backing out of the angled driveway. Not too many crosswinds today, so I can't comment on that. Can't really comment on the effect on how the car absorbs bumps yet. So far, a worthwhile investment for me. I'll post more impressions after I log more miles with the thing.

Is it worth the $165? For 95% of the drivers out there, I'd say no. But then, I'd say the same thing for the Touring package versus the standard Prius for most drivers. For example, my girlfriend would never even notice the difference on her 05 Prius. She's more concerned with safety and MPG. For the rest of us who enjoy driving closer to the limits and consider it a simple life's pleasure, not just a means to an end, I'd say it's absolutely worth the cost of admission.

Now if it only had 200 HP like my old RSX-S..... oh, well. Can't have it all.

Thanks Brian for making a great product. :)

5. MGM

MGM New Member

Here are two pictures that I took during the installation process yesterday.

The first photo is one comparing the OEM plate versus the BT Stiffening plate. It's obvious that the BT plate is much thicker and well built. The OEM plate looks like it was stamped out of a thin piece of sheet metal. The BT plate is MUCH better built and beautifully machined. Yes it costs more, but the quality is obvious. I believe that the price is fair for what you get. Now if it's worth it to YOU, that's something that each individual will have to answer for themselves.
    [attachmentid=6936]

The second photo is a picture of the BT plate installed under my car. It's likely the last time that I will see it, so I want to preserve it's beauty for all posterity.
    [attachmentid=6937]

More driving impressions:
    -Took a 200+ mile drive on I-80 yesterday. Car seems to be more resistant to cross winds and to turbulence when passing big trucks.
    -Contrary to what some have reported, to me the ride feels a bit stiffer. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I feel the bumps more, but it feels like it's more of a solid piece of metal (the entire car body) absorbing the bumps more as a unit rather than one wheel and subframe flexing then transmitting it to the rest of the frame. Keep in mind that these are only subjective impressions, so take them with a grain of salt.
    -Definitely more stable in the turns. Makes me want to install stiffer sway bars and better tires to take the turns even faster. But then I have to remember that this is a Prius and not a sports car. Plus I couldn't find any aftermarket sway bars on the internet. Oh, well.

Would I buy it again? Yes, absolutely.

Should you? That depends on whether you enjoy the excitement of the driving experience. If you do and want to enhance your driving pleasure further, then I'd suggest that you consider it. If you suffer from cross winds or being blown off the road by passing trucks, then I'd say to consider it. If transportation is just a means to an end and you're happy with the car as is, then I'd say no.

Thanks Brian for making a beautiful product.

Now I'm thinking about donating the OEM plate to my girlfriend , doubling hers up to give her twice the stiffness of the single OEM plate on her 05 Prius. Anyone try that?

Attached Files:

6. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mean Green Machine @ Mar 18 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]407960[/snapback]</div>
    <_< Great idea. Maybe REST would want one at that price! :lol: One might need longer bolts to secure a double OEM plate.

B) Lee

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Mar 5 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]400513[/snapback]</div>
    I did mine myself with Brian as a long distance cheerleader.

8. MGM

MGM New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Mar 5 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]400513[/snapback]</div>
    If you have a jack and jack stands or ramps, a torque wrench, a socket wrench kit and a 6mm hex key (Brian will sell you one for $8 or 9), it's a 30-45 minute operation. It's just jack car up, undo four bolts, remove OEM plate, place BT plate, tighten four new bolts, then lower the car. You really don't have to have any mechanical skills. If you know how to tighten and loosen bolts, you're golden. But you have to have the right tools to do it right.

Good luck.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I didn't jack the car up. I put some plastic underneath for non-traction and I slid under. It's a little tight bu can be done.

And I'm rather zaftig so I can't imagine I'm that much smaller than the average guy where it's going to matter.

10. MGM

MGM New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 18 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]407992[/snapback]</div>
    You must be way slimmer than me. I kind of have a big head and can't imagine fitting under there without jacking the thing up. As it was, my chest was physically touching the bottom of the car when I was working on it. And I'm a dude. I'm only 5'8", 185 pounds with a 42" chest, so I'm not that big.

What's zaftig BTW?

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mean Green Machine @ Mar 18 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]408004[/snapback]</div>
    I'm 5'2", 180 with a 46" bust...er...chest.

I said I was zaftig.

My face was very close but I could still work.

Of course, being a women I don't have a 'big head'.

12. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 10 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]403498[/snapback]</div>
    I'm 5'9" and 175 and found it tight with car up on ramp. BTW zaftig comes from German origin meaning "juicy" but is used to describe a buxom woman :eek:

Lee

13. MGM

MGM New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 18 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]408023[/snapback]</div>
    I learn something new every day! Thanks.

14. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 18 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]408022[/snapback]</div>
    :angry: Hey wait a second.... come to think of it.... my body was fine under the car only my head needed more room!

....more brains? :D or fat head :eek:

Lee

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 18 2007, 05:34 PM) [snapback]408034[/snapback]</div>

How about "swell".

(Would you prefer "Rubenesque"?)

16. MGM

MGM New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Mar 18 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]408074[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen some of Peter Paul Ruben's paintings. His "Rubenesque" subjects would definitely not fit under a Prius without a jack or ramp.

[attachmentid=6945]

Attached Files:

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mean Green Machine @ Mar 18 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]408004[/snapback]</div>
    Urban Dictionary: zaftig

18. MGM

MGM New Member

If I had stayed with my Jewish girlfriend longer, I probably would have learned more of these Yiddish terms. She was zaftig too. Thanks for enlightening me.

19. Robert Fisher

Robert Fisher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Mar 4 2007, 12:03 AM) [snapback]399818[/snapback]</div>

I have noticed that my Prius has a tendency to wander to the left at highway/freeway speeds. After 50 or so miles of travel I either am used to having to correct the steering or the "drift" seems to subside. I also am well aware when I approach a line of 18 wheelers on the highway/freeway and attempt to pass them, the buffeting from the created winds is an attention getter. Now I have read in some of these "Posts" that the the addition of the stiffener plate offered by BT Tech could reduce some of these handling anomalies. I also read that this BT plate is an replacement for the Toyota existing plate and this BT plate could well reduce the unsafe situations caused by buffeting of winds.

The inference that this BT plate stiffens the chassis suggests that Toyota is being remiss in their design.

The "posts" I have read seem to clearly endorse this installation of this BT plate. Now if the existing plate that comes with the Prius is, or could cause an unfortunate situation and, all that would have been necessary, to forestall a bad situation was a factory installed BT type plate, I would think it would be prudent of Toyota to buyout the BT approach and correct the condition!

Is there any data suggesting some accidents could have been caused by not installing the BT plate?

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mean Green Machine @ Mar 18 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]407960[/snapback]</div>

Fortunately, there is a nice compliment of chassis and suspension upgrades available for our Prius. Check out Carson Toyota or Sigma Automotive. I've gone all out. As soon as I got the BT plate, I got bitten by the handling bug and sprung for the TRD shocks/springs right away. I have all the pieces now... just need to wait for better weather and the last 2 chassis pieces are going in.