1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BethlehemPrius, Feb 4, 2007.

1. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This was brought up a few times in the past. Yes, auto manufacturers have been attaching BARE aluminum to steel frames, engine mounts, manifolds, cylinder heads, crossmembers..etc..etc..etc for years. In the truest sense, galvanic corrosion can occur whenever two dissimillar metals are joined and in the presence of an electrolyte. Car's are not like boats and are not in constant contact with sea water. :) If they were, then placing a sacrifical zinc anode on the plate would be prudent but in the environment where a car is expected to operate (land) such actions are not necessary. The fact that our BT Tech plate is hard coat annodized prevents any oxidation from ever occurring on the plate. Even if our plate was not coated, the exposed aluminum would take on a crusty white oxidation which would technically prevent further corrosion from occurring. The Prius' frame is hot dipped galvanized steel and is also excellent in terms of corrosion resistance.

I would be willing to bet that our plate will outlast the car it is attached to providing the car does not roll off a cliff or something along those lines!! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 15 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]442208[/snapback]</div>

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 14 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]442208[/snapback]</div>
    The last I checked, whenever different metals have been used together (such as the aluminum head with a cast iron block) there is some sort of gasket (in the engine example, the head gasket between the cylinder head and the block) that separates the metal-to-metal contact.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 14 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]442208[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that there is some sort of plating applied to the chassis as a corrosion protection measure. If the BT plate was attached with no chance to abrade the chassis (or vice-versa), then the issue of galvanic corrosion would probably be a non-issue. However, given that the chassis will flex (arguably less-so with the plate, but I don't see a consensus on how much less so), there is the possibility that metal-to-metal contact will happen and in the presence of moisture, galvanic corrosion will occur.

Or, possibly BT could provide a gasket material to install between the plate and the chassis? Something that is a little thicker than 5 - 6 mils.

It depends on what resonates for you. I happen to live in an area (~200 meters from the Pacific Ocean) where anything metal that is not stainless steel will inevitably corrode - it is just a matter of time. The metal can be painted with any type of marine grade paint and it will corrode. Triple hot-dip galvanized and it still corrodes. Needless to say, all my cars are garage-kept, but I am still sensitive to the corrosion issue; likely more so than others.

Possibly for some. For me I am taking to this little car and trying to reasonably tweak it. My first effort (lighter wheels and wider tires plus ceramic pads) was quite a success. I am eagerly awaiting the TOM'S Upper and Lower front suspension braces that I ordered from Sigma. I don't expect to get to a place where the Prius will out-handle my MINI, but curiosity is challenging me to see how close I can get without having to make compromises (such as having to fit a skid plate if I were to go the TRD suspension route; also, I might have a harsher ride with the TRD suspension).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ May 14 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]442234[/snapback]</div>
    Ha! In the event that the car rolled off a cliff, it is likely that the plate would still outlast the car unless the car were dropped onto a boulder and the plate took the full force of the impact - the plate is mounted in a location on the car that is fairly well-protected from crashes.

3. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 15 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]442208[/snapback]</div>
    Most, if not all internal engines components have gaskets between them.

As far as "stirring up fears", my concern about bolting on an aluminum block to the steel frame, was because here in NH, the plate would be "bathed" in road salt all winter long. This woudl simulate the situation of aluminum to steel contact underwater on a boat, in the ocean with no sacraficial anode. As has been deminstrated for many years, in a situation like that, it takes only months to see the effects. Anadization, paint and wishful thinking do not stop nature. But the sacraficial anode helps :) At a minimum, I would think a gasket and stainless steel bolts would be a good precausion.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetMan2 @ May 15 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]442267[/snapback]</div>
    It would seem I am not the only one concerned with corrosion. I had forgotten about road salt (we don't have that condition in California - even in the Sierra's; but then again, we more than make up for it on the ocean side - 365 days a year :) ).

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have always shipped our BT Tech plates with stainless bolts and washers. We even coat the bolts with a dielectric type anti-seize grease for further protection.

I suppose if one is really concerned you could take a thin bead of black silicone to coat the contact points of the plate or install a zinc anode on it but again I think that this is completely unnecessary. We have sold many plates to all areas of the world including New England with no issues whatsoever.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetMan2 @ May 15 2007, 04:17 AM) [snapback]442267[/snapback]</div>

6. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ May 15 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]442527[/snapback]</div>
    A thin layer of silicone sounds like a good idea, and the stainless bolts are a nice touch.

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ May 15 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]442527[/snapback]</div>
    It would be very nice if the manufacturer of the plate include a couple of thin layer strips of rubber/cork compound insulators already affixed in place, like the ones used in gaskets, so it's sandwich in between the replacement plate and the chassis to avoid any direct contact and friction of different metals thus avoiding any idea of galvanic reactions for a peace of mind of the users.

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ May 15 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]442801[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have a problem with silicone gel, cream or paint or similiar, but when you start putting gaskets, you then remove the integrity of the "oneness" of the bond between the plate and the car.

If you are really worried about it and want a barrier, it needs to be something of metal that won't conduct, otherwise the weakness and softness of a "gasket" I fear would wear through.

Even with the torqueing of the plate, anything soft will be penetrated.... epecially if there is a tendency for movement at points not totally tight.

Of course there is the other theory for those who feel the plate is a placebo and does nothing...... implying there "is no movement without the plate" and so anything would suffice.... even a piece of plastic.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 15 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]442997[/snapback]</div>
    The only way you are going to achieve "oneness" is with a molecular bond - otherwise known as welding.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 15 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]442997[/snapback]</div>
    May I suggest a thin strip of stainless steel cut to fit the bolt holes on the plate as the "gasket material"? I would put my money where my mouth is and place an order for a plate (placebo effect and all) if it came with stainless steel gasket(s)

10. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 15 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]443087[/snapback]</div>
    Bah! You receive onness by sitting cross legged on the floor on a mat, chanting and fasting.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 16 2007, 12:14 AM) [snapback]443087[/snapback]</div>
    Its only money..... and we all have lots of it!..... so why not make the whole plate stainless?

12. IsItOn

IsItOn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ May 15 2007, 12:16 AM) [snapback]442234[/snapback]</div>
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's great you guys are trying to come up with modifications for the prius. But I don't really see how the stiffening plate will perform any better than what is already there. Has there been any comparison testing done? If so, what were the results? From my standpoint the plate is just an add on for the sake of adding on. Try making an intake kit and let us know how that goes. And NO I won't be racing it, but intake kits are good products.

13. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsItOn @ May 16 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]443606[/snapback]</div>
    and welcome to PC. The thread you have posted in is the Uber-BT Plate thread. Grab a thermos of coffee and start reading. In short, the Prius chassis is kinda like a 'U' with the open part of the 'U' facing out the back. The plate is made to brace up the 'U'. The stock plate is a flimsy piece of metal that you could twist in your bare hands, while the BT plate is 1600X stiffer. If you don't care about handling, and already satisfied with the way your Prius rides and take turns, then this product is not for you. As far as mods go, it's a great piece to get for the added handling. Can't really go wrong with a $160 price tag either.

14. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 16 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]443590[/snapback]</div>
    How about they just make it out of steel and paint it like the rest of the frame :)

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetMan2 @ May 16 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]443779[/snapback]</div>
    LOL!.... wouldn't we then need a gasket for the gasket?

Anodizing is better protection than paint anyway.. otherwise I would merely suggest paint the plate and call it good.... so now we're back where we started!... LOL!

16. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :lol: I think several items in this thread have come full circle in that last, oh, almost 600 posts and 17,000 views...... :lol: :lol:

BUT, I'm still diggin my BT Plate!!!

17. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    High winds yesterday - the BT plate rocked! No automatic lane changes, no buffeted roll. It amazes me how much affect this product has, and no, it's a placebo, my wife noticed a difference in the handling and she didn't know I had purchased it or done the install.

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ May 16 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]443809[/snapback]</div>
    Now Thats a testimony!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny how this does indeed come to a full circle and start over... of course all good religions do!!!

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ May 16 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]443513[/snapback]</div>
    Ha! Unless you are the Prius - it is an inanimate object - it can not chant (or fast for that matter).... :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 16 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]443590[/snapback]</div>
    BT Tech? You guys have been remarkably quiet on this subject....

My offer stands - provide a stainless steel "gasket" cut-to-fit, and I will Paypal you the funds.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 16 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]443874[/snapback]</div>
    One more post and we are at 600.... This thread has more mileage than the Eveready bunny - it just keeps going and going....

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ May 16 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]443874[/snapback]</div>
    You must have never had anything made at a metal shop before?.... setting up dies and forms or programming a computer to cut a custom sheet of stainless.... are you sure you want to pay for this?
    Or are you implying that BT Tech should foot the bill and pay 100 times what your charge would be when no one else cares because its not an issue?

How about make your own plate to fit?... and why not?