1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BethlehemPrius, Feb 4, 2007.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jun 26 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]468534[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, I bet it will work between the boat and the transom!..... make the cornering better eh?

Poor Brian, he probrably feels we are committing sacrilage talking about his plate like this! :p :lol: :lol: :unsure:

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jul 7 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]474931[/snapback]</div>
    Or, smooth out the ride at speed....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jul 7 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]474931[/snapback]</div>
    Why? If we come up with other uses for the plate and Brian benefits from additional sales, I tend to doubt there will be any complaining from him....

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 8 2007, 12:14 AM) [snapback]474956[/snapback]</div>
    true, there is a tremendous amount of stress on one tiny spot on the back of a boat.... if you have a well made boat, thats factored in already... but some of the older boats with rotting wood back there could benifit from such an idea.

Nevertheless, I'm sure there are tons of real applications where a similiar, possibly slightly modified plate would help.
    Brian is already tooled up to accomodate if we could just get some other applications!

I think Brian may already be up to something!...... but it will be up to him as to when he's ready to let the cat out of the bag.
    You think the mud has flown before! It will be fun to see the skeptics freak out again as the power of the plate messes with their logic and reasoning!

I thought I would stir some excitement to help propell us towards our next mark! :ph34r: :lol:

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jul 8 2007, 06:46 AM) [snapback]475015[/snapback]</div>
    My only request is that Brian post all information about any new uses (this includes modified uses) of the BT plate be posted to this thread - we may yet get to 1,000 posts....

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 8 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]475109[/snapback]</div>
    Or start a new thread that points to here for continued discussion.

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jul 8 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]475113[/snapback]</div>
    But with a new thread, doesn't the post count get incremented only in the new thread? The objective is to increase the post count of this thread....

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 8 2007, 03:04 PM) [snapback]475148[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes people like to start a new thread just to announce something new... or maybe even put it in a different area thats more appropriate and yes that post would not count towards this thread, but if pointed this way... then others can come to this link to further the discussion.

I'm sure some have signed off this thread or ignore it now because they assume whats its talking about... that way they have a chance to know too.

8. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Ok, You sucked me in here again :D

I need a bt plate for my gas grill, while rolling it out for the fourth cookout, it was almost out of control going down the hillside. With a BT tech plate on it I don't think it would have fishtailed as much, But the grass was a little damp, maybe traction control is needed!! :p

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 8 2007, 04:01 PM) [snapback]475170[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, thats a nice pic in your avatar... that almost looks like my car! :rolleyes:

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 8 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]475170[/snapback]</div>
    Depending on the color of your grill, you might be able to get a color-coordinated stiffening plate.... I wonder if Brian has thought about grills as a potential application of the plate????

Only 50 more posts to 800....

11. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello Everyone... Let's please try to keep the discussion in this thread back on topic. Although we all just having fun with this thread, some people might view these posts as trivializing the effects of our product and not know that we are all just having a little fun.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jul 8 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]475015[/snapback]</div>

Shhhhh.... :) :) :)

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh the topic... oh yea......

Brian, what other cars that you know of benefit from your plate or a similar one?

I think you got started doing something with a corvette.... are there other cars that have similar hole/tunnel design in the rear that the plate helps or is this unique to the prius?

13. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The first tunnel plate that I designed was for the 1997-2004 Corvette. The design consited of 1/4" 6061-T6 aluminum with a ceramic thermal coating to keep the center console cooler. This was necessary due to the location of the exaust system and catalytic converters. I later came up with a 3/8" "racing version" of the plate which worked great on the track but IMO was too aggressive for street driving. My same design is now being used on the C6 Corvette (2005-2007) as the chassis has not changed significantly and fits perfectly.

Most of the cars out there have other forms of chassis bracing that do not require the use of additional stiffeners. There are a myriad of factors that determine how stiff to make the car taking into account the type of suspension it has, spring rates, sway bar dimensions, size of wheels, aspect ratio of tires....etc..etc...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jul 8 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]475280[/snapback]</div>

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Jul 8 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]475301[/snapback]</div>
    So, are there other cars that you have a product "in the pipeline" for (besides the Prius and the C5 & C6)? One car that uses similar chassis structure/technology to the C5 & C6 is the GM Kappa platform (Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky). Any thoughts about a stiffening plate for the Kappa?

15. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not sure what happened here.... I typed a full response to your question but then the text to my reply did not appear.... Oh well, guess I will have to type it again...

I am not familiar with the Kappa platform that applies to the two cars below. I do know that they are convertibles by design so their body stiffness will never match a vehicle that has a solid roof structure.

This is true whether it be a Porsche, Volvo or Chevy. You simply can not get the rigidity out of a chassis without a roof or some type of structure in place of it. You can add as many braces and larger hydroformed steel beams to try to componsate and it will help to some extent but the chassis (body) will still not be as stiff as a well designed vechile with a roof.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 8 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]475304[/snapback]</div>

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And your answer is?

17. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Jul 8 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]475301[/snapback]</div>
    Another car that could possibly use the plate is a VW Fox sedan or wagon I have the sedan and have seen a few people use what is called an " O'Bar" that goes up into the axle beam, so a BT plate going across side to side my help. here is a pic of an O'Bar installed
    [attachmentid=9543]

Attached Files:

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 8 2007, 10:07 PM) [snapback]475304[/snapback]</div>
    I would guess that since most cars, or at least "many" makes don't have near the following or enthusiasm, or even a forum to talk about thier mods due to lack of interest, it would be hard to sell many plates for some makes..... since its hard to get the manufacturers interested in spending the money.... the expense to tool and die for each model has to be weighed against "will there be a payback".

Do these issues overcast or have a strong play in decisions to pursue these other markets for your plate Brian?

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 9 2007, 05:14 AM) [snapback]475430[/snapback]</div>
    In some respects, the O-Bar looks like a torsion bar - the purpose of which would seem to stiffen the axle beam to which it is installed. Hmmm. Maybe a new mod for the Prius????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jul 9 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]475475[/snapback]</div>
    Well, there definitely is a community of enthusiasts for the Kappa platform cars - check out Solsticeforum.com for starters. There are even some Corvette owners on the forum, which should provide for a receptive audience based on the plate's application to the C5 & C6.

20. aeronaut

aeronaut New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Mar 11 2007, 07:53 PM) [snapback]403964[/snapback]</div>
    Dave,

As part of my physics work in Grad school, I managed the machine shop and ordered stuff for the machining class. A 1.5 ft x 2.5 ft x 1/4 inch piece of 6061 aluminum typically cost me $80-120 BEFORE machining, anodizing, and so forth. This price ($180) seems quite reasonable. Remember that stamped metal is pretty cheap, but not as strong or durable. The machined piece carries virtually no residual stresses, while the stamped piece can have the failure modes mapped out by residual stresses.

Regards,
    aeronaut