1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BethlehemPrius, Feb 4, 2007.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aeronaut @ Jul 9 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]475628[/snapback]</div>
    Plus, BT Tech needs to make some money for future R&D.... We need to see the new products in the pipeline....

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 9 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]475651[/snapback]</div>
    Right... I don't know all the issues, but as many fingers in the pot the better if its cost effective... especially if there is an active forum to spread the word!

3. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am not familiar with the Kappa platform that applies to the two cars below. I do know that they are convertibles by design so their body stiffness will never match a vehicle that has a solid roof structure.

This is true whether it be a Porsche, Volvo or Chevy. You simply can not get the rigidity out of a chassis without a roof or some type of structure in place of it. You can add as many braces and larger hydroformed steel beams to try to componsate and it will help to some extent but the chassis (body) will still not be as stiff as a well designed vechile with a roof.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 9 2007, 04:23 AM) [snapback]475394[/snapback]</div>

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Jul 9 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]475785[/snapback]</div>
    You would be surprised (at the chassis stiffness of the Kappa cars)....

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is no doubt that they are very nice looking cars indeed. It's just that practically every convertible car that I have driven including my wifes Honda S-2000 has some degree of cowl shake that is perceptable. Even the so-called ultra stiff Porsche Boxster has it.

The one car that I can say that I did not detect cowl shake in was a Lotus Elise. Granted I had the roof bolted in but from what I hear from friends of mine that race these, even with the roof removed they are extremely stiff. Of course the entire body is made out of extruded aluminum and has extremely high sill plates to enhance the chassis stiffness. It was also a real PITA to get in and out of with the roof in place!!! :)

Generally speaking, a car that has its roof structure in place is bound to have a body (chassis) that is stiffer than with one that has been removed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 9 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]475941[/snapback]</div>

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Jul 10 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]476142[/snapback]</div>
    Not disagreeing with your general premise (that roofs add to chassis stiffness). But the Kapa cars are quite stiff. You might check one out. There are some early editions that are showing up on dealer lots as early buyers move up to the higher output GXP model. Take one of those out for a spin and drive over a railroad crossing. I did it on a car that had 10,000 miles on the odometer and not a bit of cowl shake.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Adding the roof forms a box; it's really that simple.

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 10 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]476463[/snapback]</div>
    No disagreement with that statement. But, you can form a box in other ways. Lotus does it with the Elise. GM has managed to do it with the Kappa cars. And yes, if you were to add a roof with B pillars, it might be even more stiff.... But as they are right now, they are pretty stiff.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jun 19 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]464857[/snapback]</div>
    In all seriousness, there might be a new product idea here for Brian to consider - skid plate for protecting the underside of the ICE and Inverter/traction motor area. Brian, the one thing that I live in constant fear of is road debris taking out the oil pan on the ICE or otherwise damaging the expensive bits under the hood of the Prius. Sad to say it but, California's highways have become a breeding ground for road debris - things like tire tread chunks from 18 wheel tractor-trailers are just waiting for a chance to cause major damage to the car.

Presto's comments about how the BT plate absorbed the scrapes got me thinking. I would even be willing to pay a slight premium as an incentive to launch a solution to the exposure. PM me if you are interested in considering a skid plate solution.

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm always in for Oil pan protection... one thing I love about my Jeep!

Your right.. all it takes is one teeny tiny little hole to majorlly screw you up... I don't think thats something a warranty can save you from either!....

this maybe should be a serious consideration!

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jul 17 2007, 07:40 PM) [snapback]480658[/snapback]</div>
    The repair cost of a hit from road debris that frys the engine from catastrophic oil loss is totally on your dime.

This should be more than a serious consideration... it should be a product offering.

For everyone who is watching this thread, please post if you would be interested in a skid plate.

I am poster number 1 in favor of a skid plate. It sounds like windstrings is poster number 2 in favor.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 17 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]480672[/snapback]</div>
    I'd potentially be interested if:
    1) lightweight...really light weight
    2) aerodynamic...I'd like it to enclose that entire lower area if possible. That said, it probably needs to allow for some ventilation. Thus, if there were some sort of closable venting (simple slide open/closed with latch thing) mechanism that could be open in summer and closed to reduce air flow around the ICE that would be great.
    3) easy to install, of course.
    4) fair price.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Will also need a hole to do oil changes without having to remove the plate.
    I know this may be a given, but thought I would mention it.

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 17 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]480677[/snapback]</div>
    The skid plates I have experience with on Volvo FWD cars are made from aluminum and weigh somewhere around 25-30ish lbs. I would imagine a similar weight would be a reasonable expectation for a Prius skid plate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 17 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]480677[/snapback]</div>
    Enclosing the entire lower area might bump the weight to the high end of the 30 lbs (maybe add 5 more?). Ventilation is usually provided for by cutting vent holes (which also act to lighten the total weight of the plate) in the plate in areas that are not critical to the protection function.

Installation on the Volvo skid plates was quite simple - a matter of 4 bolts and you are done. Installation on the Prius would depend on what installation points were available. Some appear to be available on the front apron on my 2007 model, but whether they are also available on earlier editions is another matter.

That is up to Brian. For Brian's decision-making purposes, what would you consider to be a range of a "fair" price? $200? $250? Or???? For me, a $250 price would be a no-brainer, since that is the amount of my Collision coverage deductible.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jul 18 2007, 05:36 AM) [snapback]480820[/snapback]</div>
    The more innovative plates provide for removing 2 bolts and the plate folds down to provide complete access to the underside of the engine bay. (15 seconds per bolt to remove and another 15 seconds per bolt to replace.)

Another design that I have seen has cut-outs where the oil filter and oil drain locations are at. My personal vote would be for the approach where two bolts are removed and the plate can then fold down. That model gives maximum protection and maximum ease of servicing access.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think something in the $200 range I'd consider seriously...again, it would depend upon the features and exact product. Over that for something I don't think I really need on my 4 year old Prius that's never had any trouble requiring the oil pan to be protected and it gets hard to justify.

I would definately want the vent holes, but then some way to cover those vent holes in the winter/cold to offer additional MPG benefits. Perhaps a separate cover that bolts on, a sliding/locking cover that stays on at all times, whatever.

16. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello everyone,

This produt is already in the works and I should have a prototype in my hands soon. Although putting access holes in this part would be more convienient, it would not be as aerodynamic.

We also have another handling component that we will have availble within the next 4 weeks or so and will compliment our BT Tech stiffening plate perfectly.

As soon as I have a production piece of one of these new products, I will post some pictures.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 18 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]481011[/snapback]</div>

17. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 18 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]481030[/snapback]</div>
    $200 is a reasonable number. If memory serves, that is the price point for the Volvo skid plates.

Vent holes are certainly doable. Covering up the vent holes is probably best implemented with a supplemental cover that can be fastened (possibly with Zip tie to keep things simple?) in place during the winter. Although I would yield to Brian on what would be the best concept to use for a vent hole cover.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Jul 18 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]481069[/snapback]</div>
    Regarding access holes and aerodynamic-ness, are you by any chance considering the concept of quick release where 2 bolts are removed (or turned 1/2 turn) and the entire plate folds down for access to the engine bay? Hearing you are working on a skid plate is really great news!

18. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 18 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]481070[/snapback]</div>
    I look forward to seeing the skid plate. Only 22 more replies to this thread to 800. Yeah. B T W Got my BT plate but have not had time to install it yet. I haven't driven my car yet so I want to drive it a few months and then install the plate to see the difference it makes.
    D Rock

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Jul 22 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]483206[/snapback]</div>
    Any particular reason why you haven't driven your car?

20. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just a heads-up everyone.... We are down to our last 10 BT Tech plates in stock and have our machine shop starting our next production run. By the time we receive our next batch is at least 4 weeks away so for those of you that want one befor that time, here is your chance to get one without waiting.