1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Stiffening plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BethlehemPrius, Feb 4, 2007.

1. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Malarkey @ Sep 28 2007, 02:31 AM) [snapback]518879[/snapback]</div>
    Well,

There are two ways to look at it.

One is a plate without machined features, of the same mass as the machined plate. It would be allot thinner, which would reduce the moment of ineritia of the plate section. This plate would twist and/or bend easier.

A plate the same thickness as the BT-Tech plate, without the machined features, would be stronger than the BT-Tech plate, but somewhat heavier.

A corrugated surface would increase stiffness for the same weight of material. So, a next generation BT Tech plate (if Toyota ever figured out they needed such a thing), might be made from extruded stock, with a corrugated surface. The production volume would have to be quite large to pay for the extruder die.

2. Aces

Aces Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Sep 29 2007, 09:48 AM) [snapback]519008[/snapback]</div>
    No, I think you are missing the point that Dr Malarkey was making. I work at a company that machine's steel to make parts (Gears). So what I see the question as is: to make the plate, BT-Tech buys a plate of a certain thickness and machines away aluminum, while leaving the "X" pattern. So what if you skip that machining step? The result is less machining time, thus cheaper to make. The stiffness should be slightly stiffer. But it would weigh more. It's all in your frame of reference when looking at the question.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, Brian... I've ordered my plate :)

Finally talked myself into making that investment...
    Maybe when it arrives, DH will install the mudflaps at the same time :)

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aces @ Sep 29 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]519019[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Aces,

Yes, of course.

Stiffness and strength are two different things. Strength is when the material permanently yields. Stiffness is how much force it takes to deflect a unit amount.

If your designing a part to have the best stiffness/weight ratio, you machine it away like BT Tech did. Or your extrude it with lots of surface corrugations. With extrusion you can save allot of material as there is only post extrusion machining waste. A prismatic plate might very well work in this application, but it wont be as stiff for the mass of the plate.

There is no rule when you start designing something that its going to be so thick. You have to figure it out why it should be this thick, or that thin.

Is milling cheaper than drilling? To make the plate stiff, for its weight, you could just drill a bunch of holes. The extra surface area makes it more stiff than the equivalent mass thinner prismatic plate. This is kinda a takeoff on using tubing than solid bar, but in rectangular form, rather than cylindrical.

The other thing is the thin webs that the bolts squeeze the plate to the vehicle. I imagine they are thin to avoid damaging the car's frame, and to give the bolt heads a pocket to reside in. If you make the plate too stiff, those thin webs crack. If you do not put in the bolt hole pockets, the car frame cracks.

It could be the bolt heads that transfer the major forces to the plate, too.

Then again, Brian might have just designed it to look pretty. Hard to say. Whatever, it seems to work.

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congrats!! :) Please let us know how you like it once you get it installed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Sep 29 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]519113[/snapback]</div>

We went through several iterations until we settled on the current design. FEA (Finite Element Analysis) was done on our BT Tech plate and further changes were made to increase its strength and stiffness with a minimal weight penalty.

The fact that it looks cool is just frosting on the cake!! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Sep 29 2007, 03:46 PM) [snapback]519142[/snapback]</div>

6. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Seems to me that there is a way of measuring whether the BT plate makes any difference at all to the car's chassis stiffness, but I need volunteers both with and without BT plates...

First of all, I'll assume that the increased stiffness that the BT plate is addressing is in the torsional direction along the length of the car, i.e. "twisting" the chassis between front and back. The position and geometry of the BT plate can only address this torsional stiffness. This "twisting" should be what people feel when going along rough roads, turning corners or experiencing cross winds.

So, for those wanting to volunteer, the experiment is pretty simple. To ensure as much similarity between all Prius test cars as possible,
    1. Make sure that your car is empty of cargo and other heavy stuff
    2. Do the experiment with a full tank of gasoline
    3. Use the lifting jack supplied with your car
    4. Make sure all your tires are pumped between 35-40 psi

The experiment:
    1. Use the lifting jack to raise the driver side rear wheel, until it just clears the ground. Position the jack where the manual indicates it should go.
    2. Measure the distance between the bottom of the car below the rear door, at the point between the jack and the rear wheel well, and the ground (call this A), see picture
    3. Measure the distance between the bottom of the car below the front door, just next to the front wheel well and the ground (call this B ), see picture
    4. Calculate the difference
    5. Do the same on the passenger side, jack up the passenger side rear wheel and do the same measurements on that side.

The theory is that with the BT plate on, the increased torsional stiffness of the car should mean that the difference between distances A and B will be less (because the chassis will twist less), than for those cars without the BT plate.

I'll do the experiment myself and post numbers here for the OEM plate. Any volunteers, please do likewise - even if only out of curiosity!

Attached Files:

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboJones @ Oct 1 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]520091[/snapback]</div>
    Such a test has already been conducted. You can find the discussion on the BT Tech Stiffening plate thread. Specifically, post #412.

I do suggest that you read the rest of the discussion, especially these posts by a mechanical engineer experienced in automotive frame strength tests:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken Stewart @ Apr 24 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]429069[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken Stewart @ Apr 24 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]429398[/snapback]</div>

8. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jimbo, if you are interested in the plate, i'll sell you my used one for $120 plus shipping. It's been sitting on my dinner table for awhile, and although it looks nice, it's definitely not having any noticeable effect on the table. :)

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I always find it comical anymore to see when someone decides the plate needs to be "proven" as if its in question any more!......

There is so much history on this plate of totally impressed customers and totally squashed skeptics, I can't believe anyone has the guts to try and do what no-one else has been able to do before.... and thats to "disprove" the plate works!

I know some folks will say they are not trying to "disprove" it, but rather "prove" it works.... but the proof is the long long history of converted skeptics and satisfied customers!.....

I've come to the conclusion that all those who will not believe such a great number of witnesses, also will not believe any test from any other "witness".... they have to prove it to themselves, but usually those people are paralyzed by fear and cannot or "will not" buy the plate so they can "prove or disprove" it to themselves..... LOL!

So here we go with the same issue, figuring out a way to prove it works "before" buying it...... how many times do we have to play this game before its "proven"?

Again... this is quite comical!

10. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 1 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]520142[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, finally - done and done.

Cheers!

By the way, what happened to the suggestion of changing the topic to nitrogen in tires?

11. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some Excellent information there..... Thanks for the post IsrAmeriPrius!! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 1 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]520142[/snapback]</div>

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BT Tech @ Oct 4 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]521235[/snapback]</div>
    I second that. Thanks.

Wish someone would go through the 970+ posts on this thread, and pull out the 10 most useful and informative ones ... sorta like a Greatest Hits compilation for the holidays.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 4 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]521241[/snapback]</div>
    Kind of like a thread-specific FAQ?

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Oct 1 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]520145[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, sure... NOW you say that, AFTER I paid full price for one!!!

15. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^
    Sorry! My cousin just told me, recently, that he didn't want it.

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Brian, you have been too quiet.... What is the update on the new products? Christmas is fast approaching....

17. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Trying my best to get our next 2 products ready in time for the upcoming holidays. Like I mentioned in the past, manufacturing quality machined products is not an easy task!! :)

The peformance results and quality will be well worth it.... NO Made in China here!! :) :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 5 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]521818[/snapback]</div>

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you mentioned what the new products will be? I'd like to review the 972 prior posts...maybe I'll take some vacation time!

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 7 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]522458[/snapback]</div>
    I don't remember at what post count the cat snuck out of the bag, but.... One product was confirmed to be a skid plate to protect the underside of the HSD bits. The other hasn't quite been fessed up to but is something that complements the BT plate.... Whether the complementing happens on the rear or the front is unanswered; but it would seem to be a stiffener of some sort for the front or an additional stiffener for the rear.

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Sep 20 2007, 03:50 AM) [snapback]514875[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry about the slow reply, I was away for a week when this was posted I think and missed it.
    I haven't noticed a big difference in the feel or handing of the car but I never had much of a problem in the first place. I have a feeling the Australian Prius has stiffer suspension than the US version but having never driven a US one I'm only going on anacdotal evidence. I drive in metropolitan Adelaide which doesn't have expressways or freeways everywhere although I have a 6km section of expressway each way to and from work except on weekends (it is a reversable one way road). Total journey is 35km each way. I hate slowing for corners so avoid it by cornering much to fast. all but the tightest left hand corners are taken at about 40 or 50km/h.
    There may have been a slight improvement in cross winds, I have driven in a couple of bad storm winds and the car was easy to keep straight.(hey! maybe that is my sharkfin?)
    I might brace the front strut towers next, not sure. Currently trying to find a supplier of racing dome wheel covers here in Australia.

I might join the DLRA (Dry Lake Racers of Australia) and try out the prius on the salt lake about 600km north of Adelaide. The club meets once a year on lake Gairdner with competitors from around the world, well Australia and USA. I'd love to run the Prius through the traps and get an official top speed for a dead stock drivetrain, maybe with taller tyres fitted. I bet that will bugger up my average L/100km!