1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Strut Tower Brace install pictures and Text

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Gadgetdad, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :car: If you would like to see pictures and the complete installation instructions from BT Tech, click on this: BT Strut Tower Brace Install (by Gadgetdad) - a photoset on Flickr

This is a fairly easy installation that requires a few common tools and a torque wrench. I installed mine and took pictures in about an hour. :cool:

The Strut Brace looks sharp and fits perfectly in the tight engine compartment. The handling feels much more responsive and precise with definite improvement in cornering and any "slalom" maneuvers. Well done, BT Technologies!

Lee

moderator note: Galaxee has posted a 'how to' for replacement of the PCV valve. If you are anywhere near 60k miles I strongly suggest you consider doing the PCV replacement simultaneously with the BT brace install as you'll 'be right there' and will save the cost of having the dealer do it or the frustration of doing all this disassembly again later.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledge-base-articles-discussion/56852-pcv-replacement-how-photos.html

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the great pics and comments, Lee!

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Lee. The photos with text are great.

EDIT: Below is my Post #32 of this thread. I've included it here so that newcomers could easily see and download my Microsoft Word file of Lee's photos with text (if that's their preference).

Lee,

Thanks again for your flickr set
    BT Tech Strut Tower Brace Install Pictures and Text. Great stuff.

Because I won't have internet access on the NYC street where I'll be doing my install, I've put your flickr set of 41 photos and text (plus efusco's post and your response thereto) into the attached Word file. That way I (and others similarly situated) could access it while doing the install.

Attached Files:
    [​IMG] BT Tech Strut Tower Brace Install - By GadgetDad (Lee) v2.doc

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well done...any photos you want me to take to add to the set when I do my install?

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Gadget..., those are great pictures. While looking at them I had an idea. It would be nice for maintenance to have the nuts on the rear end of the flanges that the bar drops down into be captured. That way, one could just pull the long bolts out from the front, and lift the bar out of the bracket and pull it forward and out of the car.

This could be done with a block of aluminum alloy, possibly. The block would have a hex pocket, and on axis through-hole. It would also have slots to position it over the flange. Another way would be a hex through-hole, with pins at the far end to keep the nut captured.

Ford did allot of this type of thing on the Tempo. Which made it easy to work on. I specifically remember the exhaust system had nuts with long tangs welded on. So, one could just crank the bolt and the tang would wip around till it caught on something and the bolt would unthread. I was able to replace the whole exhaust system on that car in a about an hour thanks to these devices.

6. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks... I wish I had taken a close-up of the strut brace flange where the bar bolts on. Also as I was getting finished with the install, my excitement grew and I didn't take as many shots of the replacing of the various removed parts. It may be good to note any maintenance things to do while you have the covers removed... like cleaning up the debris or even installing an EBH from the top side.

Lee

7. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Beautiful install. I started getting worried after the first few pics thinking "this was supposed to be an "easy" install?". Turns out it seams that way. Hand it to BT, that is one great looking install and goes very well with the look under the hood. If you didn't know, you could almost miss it.

8. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Gadgetdad for your in-depth review and for taking the time to post great pictures of your installation. Your install looks awesome!!

1 person likes this.
  9. Bobbyb

Bobbyb bobbyb

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Much thanks for the pics and your time .

10. mrichman

mrichman New Member

Would adding Tom's front lower brace in conjunction with the BT upper front brace add rigidity over just the front upper brace? Any drawbacks to doing so (other than to my bank account)? Do the BT folks plan on a lower brace for the front or rear?

Mike

11. Bobbyb

Bobbyb bobbyb

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good question !

12. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know, but there would seem to be a point of diminishing returns! I have the BT stiffening plate installed on my Touring '07, and since adding the strut brace, the front end feels stiff enough. I do sense the back end a bit soft! The floor brace and/or Tom's rear brace may be the next way to spend $!!

Lee:cool:

13. mrichman

mrichman New Member

I thought I read that one (or both) of these pieces interfered with the stock exhaust system. Any particulars on if the floor or rear brace will fit the stock exhaust? Also, isn't the floor brace simialar to the BT stiffening plate in function?

M ike
    ======================================================
    I don't know, but there would seem to be a point of diminishing returns! I have the BT stiffening plate installed on my Touring '07, and since adding the strut brace, the front end feels stiff enough. I do sense the back end a bit soft! The floor brace and/or Tom's rear brace may be the next way to spend $!!

Lee:cool:

14. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My understanding is that the toms lower front brace interferes with either the exhaust system or catalytic converter. There are some people here tht have installed it so they will be able to comment on it first hand.

I have driven lots and lots of high performance cars and with the addition of our BT Tech stiffening plate and our BT Tech Strut Tower Brace, I think that 99 percent of the people that drive the car that have our parts installed would not feel the need to go any further.

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now you've made it harder for me to wait until the NY weather warms up some more so that I can put on the Strut Tower Brace (it's been in my closet for over a month now). But that should be real soon ... probably within a week.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great pictures and instructions.
    I feel tempted to get a brace but I know the colour of the creek I'll be up without a paddle when my wife finds out and it isn't blue!

17. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Brace is also a safety device for the car I would wager. Forces in a head-on or lateral blow would be ameliorated and transferred to other parts of the car body rather than the precious passengers...... Perhaps that would give you a paddle on the creek;)

Lee

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every respect to BT Tech but I think Toyota have the crumple zone thing pretty right. I'm not planning to have a crash either.

19. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Boo, they are installing the latest shipment now. How is yours coming along?

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know. I'm being lapped left and right. In NYC, it's still too cold for my tastes to want to spend an hour outside installing the brace. But it's doable and I'm getting antsy. So my guess right now is that barring rain, the brace is going in on Thursday -- a mere 6 weeks after I received it. :)