1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BT Tech Strut Tower Brace install pictures and Text

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Gadgetdad, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally installed the brace

I’ve written frequently on PriusChat about my dissatisfaction with the handling on the Standard Prius.

With its numb steering, floaty suspension and significant amounts of turn-in lean and body roll, I think that the Standard Prius just might be the worst handling and least fun to drive car of its size anywhere. Even my ‘Vette (that would be Chevette) was more fun to drive.

So I got better and wider tread tires and put on the BT Tech Stiffening Plate. Both of these improved the handling, but I think they brought the Prius’ handling only up to about average.

Then I got the BT Tech Strut Tower Brace in February. But it sat in the closet or the back of my car for 6 months. First it was because it was winter and too cold outside for me to want to spend a few hours in the freezing cold working on my car. Then it was because I’m a lazy guy.

Well I finally got around to installing the brace yesterday.

My early driving impressions: Wow. What a difference. The reduction in turn-in-lean and body roll seems significant. For the first time since I’ve had the Prius, I look forward to driving it. The car now seems … fun to drive!

Thanks again Brian for making the brace. And thanks again Lee (Gadgetdad) for your installation photos and tips. And Evan (efusco) too for your tips about things plastic – those plastic fasteners, wiring harness and clips can be a real PITA for people unfamiliar with them.

2. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: I finally installed the brace

Thanks Tom for taking the time to post your comments about our products. I am suprised that you just installed the strut brace though!! :) :)

3. joel7269

joel7269 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was wondering if the clearance issues mentioned have been fixed or will I need to just deal with removing the bar to add fluids?

4. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1

... Brad

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question.

I was one of the first orderers of the brace, so my own brace, like Gadgetdad's, efusco's and many others fits perfectly with no clearance issues.

Brian, what's up with the clearance issue? Was that problem associated with just a small batch of braces, and has it since been fixed?

6. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I have to take the brace off to deliver fluids .... it's just not worth it for me. Who has a recent purchase and an installed pic???? That would help greatly. :)

... Brad

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the problem was fixed. But I'm sure Brian will answer soon.

8. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope so, as I'm ready to pull the trigger. :)

... Brad

9. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yup, the issue was taken care of a few months back. The specification on the bar was off by 2 degrees causing the low clearance. It has since been resolved without any issues.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Three Photos

Three photos from my installation of the Strut Tower Brace.

Here's my brace installed. Perfect fit, with full access to the reservoirs.

[​IMG]

If you have a rodent problem (which I do), then while you still have the plastic cowl off, it's a good time to screen off those holes where mice and rodents can enter into the dash and cabin. I didn't have any metal screening material or self-tapping screws handy, so I just used plastic gutter guard and gaffers tape. I think it'll work:

[​IMG]

If you have a rodent problem, the strut tower brace is also a good place to hang mothballs, cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil, dryer sheets or other rodent repellant (here you can see little black stockings filled with mothballs hanging from the left and right ends of the brace):

[​IMG]

11. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice install, Tom! I knew you would like the performance upgrade. And thanks for the thanks too!

-Lee

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just finished installing the brace. It took about 1-1/2 hrs. because I was
    being really careful, and was having so much fun. Both Gadgetdad's picture
    augmented instructions (Post #1) and efusco's cautions on reassembly
    irritants (Post #23) were most helpful. I had a printed copy of Boo's Word
    document with pix and instructions (Post #32) near at hand during the job.

Complements to BT-Tech for a finely conceived and executed component.

No real problems to speak of -- so I didn't take any pix. This is a very easily
    accomplished mod. Just get out the socket/wrench set and torque wrench
    and go to it.

FWIW, on my car the sheet metal in the way was on the passenger side, only
    1/32 - 1/16 inch for about 3/4 inch;easily bent out of the way. The hardest
    part was extracting and reinserting the plastic cable bundle supports into the
    metal tray.

As far as tools, I would add that a 3 in. ratchet extension was very useful
    for helping to keep the ratchet from whacking the painted edge of the body
    work; where a good knock could take out a nasty chip.

Handling? Well, I got it to help minimize lane wandering from side-winds.

Still, in driving around things feel stiffer and tighter up front. Driving through
    Towson, a police car with lights flashing and siren blaring came up behind
    very quickly. My first though was, "Wha'd-I-do? How could I be speeding,
    I'm hypermiling!" A three car length opening appeared between parked cars
    and I slalomed into it getting hard on the brakes. The car slipped right in,
    feeling very sure and secure. The cop whizzed past. I had a huge grin.
    It must be my day!

13. rondodog

rondodog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I recently put this plate in (thanks, Don!) and I can't say enough good things about it! Car (2006) is more stable in turns (no hiccup in acceleration), over bumps and generally smoother! Heck of an investment!

14. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Apparently the 2 degree bend issue has not been corrected on all the tower strut braces sold. I attempted to install mine today but it sits on both the fuse box and DOT reservoir.

I took several photos and emailed them to Brian this morning but have not heard back from him yet. They are to big to post here but wanted everyone to know the units still aren't correct. So, if yours doesn't fit don't force it.

Yes, the "Top" is up. Yes, the drivers side bracket is on the driver's side, passeneger side passenger, etc...

Happy driving :)

15. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ok, so I flipped the tower strut brace over so the "Top" was on the bottom contrary to the instructions from BT and from Gadgetdad. The tower strut was closer to fitting but not quite. Sooooo, I then unbolted the tower strut brackets and installed the tower strut brace loosely BEFORE torquing the bolts for the brackets down.

This means the tower strut brace should fit once everything goes back together and it does. Unfortunately neither the brake reservoir cap or inverter coolant cap can be removed with the tower strut brace in place. Which means neither one of these items can be serviced with the brace in place. From the pictures I have seen the brace is supposed to run behind the brake reservoir cap and slightly behind the inverter coolant cap. Mine runs over the back half of the brake reservoir cap and almost directly over the inverter coolant cap. So, even though there is a 1/2" gap between the inverter coolant cap and the tower brace the cap can not be removed.

I thought you were supposed to be able to service the car with this item in place?

I have my 130K service coming up and can just imagine the mark up for the Toyota Techs to remove the cowling, wiper motor assembly, metal support just to remove this tower strut to be able to do their service ... ugghhh.

I have sent BT pictures and called and left a message for them to call me but haven't heard a word from them. Anyone got any ideas? Others out there can you remove your reservoir caps? It looks like from the pictures you can.

Thanks for the help,
    Chris

16. orgtech

orgtech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What's up with these strut braces. Do they fit and clear the caps? I have an 08 and would like to order one, but from what I read there is still issues of clearance. Anyone have the latest? Thanks

17. chefjeff

chefjeff Trying to figure it out

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm with orgtech. I also have an 08 and would love to buy this brace. But I can't see wasting the money and the time to tear the front end apart if this isn't going to work. I am hearing great things about it and bad things about it. What shoudl I do?

:rockon:08 Package #6 Metallic Gray, Fog light upgrade, Interior super blue leds, Removed the fisher price wheel rings, Interior all weather mats, wanting to do a lot more just purchased in June. Want to do the headlights too any ideas?

18. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    chefjeff,

Welcome to PriusChat.

As posted earlier in this thread, I installed the brace, and have no clearance
    issues. My installation looks essentially the same as the pictures in post
    #70.

I would recommend that you send BT-Tech a PrivateMail and ask them
    what's up. Find a BT-Tech posting, click on their name, click on send a PM.

Just how much the strut "stiffens" things up has not been measured or
    subjected to rigorous testing as far as I know, at least nothing along those
    lines has been reported here.

That said, I am happy with the brace as it at least feels like the front end is
    stiffer. I have had two instances where I had to do a full-lane swerve at 60
    MPH to avoid a careless driver who was moving into my lane without looking
    and without signals. The sudden maneuver felt smooth and under control.

YMMV; it's a perception thing, you pays your money and takes your chances.

19. spressomon

spressomon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Same place as you. Maybe BT Tech is on vacation?

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    orgtech, chefjeff, spressomon,

Maybe you should PM BT Tech or call Brian of BT Tech with any questions you may have. Here's Brian's telephone number from BT Tech's signature:

Brian

BT Tech
    305-652-3115

Order our BT Tech strut tower brace here: http://priuschat.com/shop/product_in...products_id/98