1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Budget Cuts - Chevy Volt Blues??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scrittibear, Oct 15, 2008.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    steviet, maybe you don't know the facts. GM makes less & less stuff here in the U.S.A. Even as Toyota continues to open up manufacturing plants, and hire more U.S. citizens, GM continues to outsource to Mexico, China, Canada, etc. Sooo yes, there IS some backwards thinking here.

BTW, it's presumptious to label someone as finding 'happiness' at a (non) american company doing badly. It's just simple consequences. The team of Lutz/Wagoner chose to go for quick profits instead of investing in the future. What do you want? The Feds to give GM more millions, on top of the millions they used to build the EV1? Took our tax dollars and crushed 'em. Time to pay the piper. Now if the Volt makes it? Great. I hope so. But outsourcing GM has already squandered away their handouts.

2. steviet

steviet New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    go back and read his post, I'm not being presumptuous at all.
    Also, the facts are that both foreign and domestic companies basically just put the cars together here. So your being disengenuous when you cite that gm is outsourcing. Toyota is too.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Toyota's form of outsourcing is to build entire factories here (or should I say MORE factories here), so that ought to be held as a good thing for the USA, right? A foreign company puting U.S. construction workers and assembly workers to work, right here at home? The fact that Toyota builds ANY parts here, much less final assembly, is a non issue. The Volt is the issue, and GM has already made plans to outsource on it. That's the very philosophy that has already lead U.S. customers to turn their backs on GM.
    My non-disingenuous point is that GM has squandered away its good will with low reliability over the decades. GM squandered prior millions in tax dollar EV development, then lied about their dealings & covered up their motives. GM idles its workers as it shuts down plant after plant after plant (unlike Toyota) for the vile - 2 fold motive of building factories overseas, for lower costs, which in GM board member minds, enables them to justify board member stock options ... not so the board can use that $$$ for future R & D that'll lead to the company's survival.

Baically both foreign & domestic doing the same thing? That's a copout peope use for allowing KINDS of wrong. It's what 5yr olds say ... "well the other kids are doing it". The U.S. can do better than that kind of rationalizing.

4. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    LS600h?

5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I dont know how the Volt can compete with a Prius or any car really just based on it's expected sales price of 40K plus. It's a vapor ware car and not a car ready for production.

Go 40 miles on the battery only then the gas engine takes over? No charging the stack from the engine? You actually have to plug it in to recharge the stack! 40 mile range? Pullleaze!

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Hybrid Escalade can't really be compared against the LS600H for many reasons. In my mind, the LS600H is truly a luxury auto for those who can afford it. The Escalade is more like for poseurs. But that's just my opinion.