1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bug Deflector Installation Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Akima, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Akima

Akima Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, does anyone have the instructions for installing the bug deflector on a 2010+ Prius that they can upload? For some reason, I did not get any with mine.

Thanks

2. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you get instructions and install it, could you post picture? I plan to drive to Alaska next summer and have been told bugs and rocks will both be problems. Altho I may build a rock screen/bug deflector combo on the front of my Prius, I want to see what your bug deflector looks like as an alternative.

3. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another member listed his steps, hope this help.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've often wondered about the (in)effectiveness of these devices.

I had one that was much more substantial on a '96 Pathfinder. The hood wasn't sloping like the Prius' either, the hood was quite square and level on top, and it did almost zero in keeping bugs, etc. from getting on the windshield.

I think these devices, especially in an application where the hood and fender slopes up from the device are mostly cosmetic and for peace of mind with little actual benefits.

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Am worried about exactly that. But the "screen door on front of car " approach I am designing may be surpassingly ugly and increase wind resistance noticeably, so I really want to examine the traditional alternatives.

6. Ric1

Ric1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't keep mine, sorry. :( Even with the instructions, I figured out that it would have been smart of me to make a template. Because I didn't and my measurements were off just a smidge, I ended up having to 'customize' the location of the holes in the deflector to match up with the holes in a couple of the mounting brackets. ;)

7. Ric1

Ric1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Obviously I'm not the OP but here's a photo of mine. To me it looks like a Frenchman's moustache. :)

[​IMG]

Prieth and Robert Holt like this.
  8. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for pic! It does maybe look like a nose and mouth would go with it!
    But seriously have you tried it in a heavy bug-density area and season like the Florida love-bug season?
    Does it really work?
    Do you still get bug strikes in that hood section right below the deflector?
    I assume it will not deflect rocks, right?

9. Ric1

Ric1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry for the late reply.I haven't tried it in a high density bug area. I still get some bug (and gravel) strikes on the hood. It seems stout enough to deflect small rocks.

Robert Holt likes this.
  10. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Seriously, thanks for info. Since I was advised by residents that the Alaskan Highway can involve dense bugs and frequent rock strikes , I am trying to install a wire mesh protector in front of my Prius just for that trip. Mileage will no doubt suffer, but I dislike the idea of chipped paint on our otherwise new Prius. Will post pics if I can make something that might work.