1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bug in MP3 playback

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by gjertsen, Jan 17, 2006.

1. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

First week on my new 06 package 3 Seaside Pearl. Lovin' it.

However, I just noticed that during playback of an MP3 CD (possibly a traditional CD as well), that the RAND button only randomizes the next track if the track before it completes. Thus, hitting the up/down buttons on the steering wheel do go to the next track, but it is literally the next track without any sort of shuffle.

Based on standard CD-player controls, I would consider this to be a bug in the software.

1. Is there some mechanism to report bugs such as these to Toyota, and
    2. Do they ever fix them in such a way that only requires a software update at a dealership?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't know if I would call that a bug. If you just leave it and it does randomly select the next item to play, then it is working. Selecting next track could go either way, depending on the ideology of the developer.
    You could call Toyota HQ and offer your suggestions, but don't wait for it to happen. We had lots of suggestions, and most never got implemented.

3. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah... something else that's annoying is that pressing the rand button causes it to pick a random track and start playing it, rather than just choosing the next song at random.

oh well. overall i'm pretty happy with the MP3 player/changer functionality. i dont need to carry an iPod anymore!

4. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

Well, whether it's a design defect or a software defect, I'd still call it a bug. Every CD player and computer music player that I'm aware of that offers shuffle functionality also applies the random algorithm to track advancement.

Of course it's just a matter of conveniance, and I'm not expecting it will necessarily be addressed soon, but I called Toyota and they logged the case #200601180210.

If others see this as something they'd like fixed, I'd encouraged them also to contact Toyota (maybe it bumps up the priority?).

5. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

So would I.
    This sounds like neither, however.
    It's not a bug just because you don't happen to like it.

The best definition I've heard for a "bug" is "Nonconformance to requirements".
    I'm pretty sure the programmers of this either had requirements that mandated its current behavior or had no requirement regarding this behavior specified at all.
    In neither of these cases would I consider its implementation a bug.
    (Speaking as a senior software engineer)