1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bugs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ItsFranziska, Aug 20, 2018.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well that's odd. I thought you had a degree in Chemistry or Medicine. :whistle:

ItsFranziska likes this.
  2. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And now you have a degree in Psychology too.

Seems like you know everything about everything........or think you do.

I think you need to lighten up a bit.

edthefox5 and ItsFranziska like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't remember Lilo and Stitch...
    But the 1973 Cartoon of Charlotte's Web is just Pro-Spider propaganda.

In the science documentary, I learned that Spiders do not have the voice of Debbie Reynolds, and if a venomous variety can easily kill a pig.

Raytheeagle and ItsFranziska like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That sounds like a good idea.

To toss in another: open all the doors and have at it with a leaf blower?

(If I did this with any of our kids vehicles there'd be litter all down the block. :ROFLMAO:)

ItsFranziska and bisco like this.
  5. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I read somewhere that no matter where you are there is a spider within 6 feet of you. They have a purpose here on the planet, but, like Electric Me states, if I see them... Smack! Not allowed in the house, certainly not allowed in the car. I had a big one get into my Gen II once. Saw it when I opened the driver door and it was illuminated by the puddle light. Swatted, but too late. It got into the gas door release mechanism on the floor. I shoved a sock in there and drove carefully home where I carefully disassembled and vacuumed that beast out of there. Back to the OP, you mentioned some damage to the driver's side doors. Compare the rubber seals on the driver's side with the passenger side and make sure all the seals are in place and serviceable.

ItsFranziska likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This brings to mind another point:
    Do NOT leave the windows cracked open for ventilation when parked in the summer time.
    All SORTS of critters can get in; maybe even including snakes. :eek:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While that's true, If you're driving with a 10 year old hybrid battery and you can't afford a brand new one, keeping interior of the car below 100' temp as often as possible is crucial to the longevity of your aging pack. And again as I've said before, bugs and spiders would greatly appreciate a gentle hand out of the vehicle if they accidentally find their way in... Cars are death traps to them.

8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not true of all bugs.
    Wasps and hornets do NOT appreciate you screwing with them for any reason.
    And you only need to be stung ONCE to moderate your "no kill" approach.
    :eek:

9. ItsFranziska

ItsFranziska Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't know about the spiders in your car, but the ones in mine do not stand still long enough to trap and release them.

10. ItsFranziska

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you! I will definitely check that out later

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. ItsFranziska

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you, I will definitely check if the seal is maybe the issue

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I get stung occasionally... I work in many beautiful gardens and so do they! They are polite & respectful unlike how most humans are towards them... They only sting you if they feel threatened, like the time I unknowingly stepped on a yellow jacket hole in the ground last June.

I also have a wasp nest on my screen door. I have learned much from them watching their work close up in recent months. They've never gone after me, never even fly inside when they have the chance. I respect them and they respect me. Of course too many humans are too dumb and too hostile to understand what nature does to create harmony across many different species to maximize biodiversity.

AzWxGuy likes this.
  13. ItsFranziska

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Im not even going to reply to every single one of your replies, but I would like to point out that just like "The Electric Me" stated, the fear is not irrational. Not only did I swallow a liver spider as a child (haunts me to this day, something i dont wish on anyone), I've also had friends get bitten by poisonous spiders and its not pretty.
    I'm pretty sure the spiders don't care if I watch and admire them or learn about them, they will still bite me or even get close to me. Some fear is driven by ignorance, but this fear is driven by actual fear.

"Personally? If one is crawling above my head where I sleep, and/or in the shower, I'm not taking the time to figure out if I should be friend or foe, or welcome Mr. Spider into my home. Sorry nature lovers...the harmony ends there." couldn't have said it better than "The Electric Me" did.

Also to note on the thing you said in a reply "This is the exact kind of thinking that is turning the entire planet into a rotting cesspool of death. The more we love and nurture all life, the more healthy and vibrant and full of life our planet will be!", I think you're making quite the reach here, just cause someone is not afraid to kill a spider or any insect does not mean they're going to go out and kill bigger animals or even people.

One last thing, you said: "The OP is expressing an irrational fear on a help forum for car repair. There is no cure for this person on this forum, just people like yourself who make the fear even worse." I'd like to mention that I did also ask if there was maybe a issue with my vehicle that may have caused it to become easier to access for critters, which if I am not mistaken is asking for help on car repair. The other commenters did not increase my fear but instead made me laugh and made me feel better cause turns out I'm not the only one who is not a fan of spiders.

bisco and edthefox5 like this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like you're turning into a troll now... If anyone needs to lighten up with the name calling and purposefully being annoying it'd be you!

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my experience of being around spiders all the time and on rare occasion getting bitten is that's it's no big deal and the fear of it is irrational. In your experience the fear is rationale. We both have different opinions.experiences...

My primary concern/agenda is in our so-called modern society there's a false notion that we can be healthier by attacking every living thing surroundings us and using poison to kill them without realizing that we're damaging ourselves in the process. Problem with that position is that a significant part of your body weight is made up of bacteria, fungus and all kinds of fascinating bugs, especially in your gut. And we're currently shifting our thinking from poisoning our surroundings to make us "healthy" to a more knowledgeable and pro-biotic understanding of improving the overall health of our personal biome to make us healthy with fermented foods, live cultures, avoiding chemicals that harm our biome, even if they don't harm us too much.

Spiders have been a part of my greater biome/my gardens all my life, they're my friends and I value them for all the work they do and while your fear of them may still be more acceptable/rationale than you saying that your fear of black people or Spanish speaking immigrants is rational, my point is racism and specie-ism have similar roots, similar origins.

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed, way easier to safely catch and release a spider in house with flat walls and windows then inside cars that are all kinds of endless curves. The mortality rate of rescuing a spider from a car is much higher than getting it out of the house.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @PriusCamper, I think you have made your point.

You don’t want to become that person that is continually hijacking other poster’s threads and even worse, taking them off topic. Both heinous forum crimes.

And in case you (and Sam Spade the 2nd) haven’t picked up on the polite and subtle hint from the OP, she’s asking you politely to stay on topic and stop hijacking her thread.

ItsFranziska, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what you're talking about? This thread ended yesterday? We're all on to bigger and better things now... Long live the Bugs!!!

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I dont like spiders but I leave them alone unless there in the house or in the car then they are dead men.

But I do have a spider hobby. Every night I go out in the front yard and the back yard and look for spider webs in my tree's.
    In Florida they build really big webs and by morning they are gone like it never happened. Its the most intricate and most beautiful piece of engineering and they span great distances. They like to span my driveway from tree to tree which is almost 25 feet.There all different too.
    I look every night.

I have tried taking pictures of them but they are too detailed and delicate it never comes out right.

Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i squished a mosquito on my headliner yesterday.