1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Build me a computer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Nov 26, 2005.

1. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's the online rebirth from the ashes of EggHead Software, for those of you that were around back in the 80s to buy their computer stuff. Back when Kensington was the new kid on the block, Macs were just coming into their own, everybody was in color except for Macs, and combo AppleII/IBM Kraft joysticks were common.

I probably still have an unopened pack of 5.25 Maxells I bought from them somewhere.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I can't help but wonder if you're going to end up like me.

I too started off with the, "oh, I only need so much, looking to spend $3-500" to upgrade my current p.c....

yeah, well then the mobo arrived...
    well, i should make use of the dual video cards/sli concept...
    well since I have two video cards, i suppose i should get a good monitor...
    hmmm, looks like i'll need a beefy power supply to run it all...
    crap, after all this, i really can't skimp on the memory...
    shoot, i could really use a DVD RW...

The ride finally stopped at around $3,000+- a hundred or two...

:ph34r:

3. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my 2 cents:

the speed of ur computer is dependent on a lot of things.

ram, processor, bus, cache (l1, l2), hard drive, video card, etc.

if you're using older parts for one thing, then you don't really need to get the "best" new parts... well you could, but they'll default to the slower speed devices.

with that said, if all you do is surfing the web and want a good computer for the future, just get a LOT of ram (1gb minimum) with your cash, and then you should be prepared for the next couple of years =)... if you wanna go to the future, u might wanna get a 64bit processor! ha.

anyway, just sharing for fun.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any computer suggestions for someone who'd rather not have to build it? I'd like to find that sweet spot of price/performance: not bleeding edge, but not obsolete, either. I'm willing to sacrifice speed for reliablity. (hey, I bought a Prius, right?) I'm not big into gaming (who feels like playing on a computer after using one all day at work?), but a racing simulation with a steering wheel and pedals would be cool. I expect to open the box, plug it in, and have everything work flawlessly for 2-3 years. (I can hear you laughing already. There's no such thing, right?)

5. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    everything can work flawlessly in 5 years if you're willing to sacrifice windows! haha, but seriously.

with every "improvement"/service pack in windows, etc, the need for faster/newer hardware to support it arises.

if all you're doing is email, internet, word processing, and solitaire, maybe you can install a version of linux, and maintain simplicity in your software. everything's free that way, and more reliable for older parts... since the newest hardware isn't yet supported and requires writing your own device drivers, etc.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    WWLM*

*Wife Won't Let Me

7. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    when you go fancy ($$$$$), it's often cheaper to just buy something already made. you can always make mods yourself. just find the computer with the stuff you want in it, and then find the best deal for that. i got me an acer ferrari 4005 with 2gb ram. sigh, i'm a sucker for computers.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tony:

Sorry, can't help you there. I have a different problem:

KWLM

Kitty Won't Let Me

jay

9. floydenheimer

floydenheimer Junior Member

Instead of the DFI NF4-Ultra, consider one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813157081

It will support future generation AMD CPU's (M2 processors and DDR2 memory). It also allows you to use AGP or PCI-Ex. It's not going to knock your socks off with overclocking ability, although it'll do a decent job of it. DFI really shines in that area. Best bang for the buck and flexibility is what this board is all about. Also, ASRock is a good company, they're owned by Asus.

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

So, er, any updates on this?

:ph34r:

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I spent a lot of money several years ago with a high-end system ($3000) and regretted it. I took the computer to my usual computer builder and they replaced the RAM, the MB and the processor. I got a brand new computer, basically, for about $700. If your computer is seven years old then I am guessing that it can't handle multi threading which means you're not currently getting all of the benefit from XP. Today's computers all seem to be built to handle hyper threading. RAM is so different from seven years ago that that has to be replaced. The new MB will be capable of handling SATA drives but it's not necessary to get one until one of your existing HDs need replacing. SATA drives have a different power cable too and it's not always included with the HD so you have to pay attention to that detail or make a separate trip to Comp USA to get one. Get a good basic AGP video card and wait for the new type that's going to replace AGP to mature. You can always adjust the AGP aperture if needed. My computer builder always recommends to refrain from getting top-of-the-line processor and MB because the extra expense is unnecessary. I prefer to stay away from proprietary systems (Dell, HP, etc.). Too much hassle, too much proprietary junk, customer service is in a different country with reps who speak bad english and aren't much help. My computer builder is within driving distance, builds a pure computer to my specifications with no junk on it that never needs service and they are all Americans who even speak with the same accent as mine. No downside :D

12. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Stay away from Antec for anything. I just got done spending a week on the phone with them for my antec 500 W power supply (phantom 500). Long story short I installed it last sat only to hear the most horrible noise Tuesday when I didn't have my noise cancelling headphones on.

So I called them. Open up the power supply and disconnect the black/blue wire pair, its a known problem. Well no way in hell am I doing this.

Called them back Thursday about returning it. Get treated like I don't know anything about electronics. Ask for s upervisor, get treated the same way. Excuse me? I do everything myself. cards, adding drives, controlers, upgrading memory, and yes, I'll make 100% sure its compatible with my systems requirements BEFORE I purchase it.

The wouldn't take my power supply back because it was a "gift" and the waranty is only good for the person that bought it. So I'm stuck with a broken $150+tax power supply.

Guess I won't be looking at buying that 7800 GTX video card any time soon.

*sigh*

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sort of.
    I think I have a system defined but I'm sure that between now and the "build date" I will make a few changes. The "build date", by the way, is still a little while off. Though I think February would be a good time to do it since it's too cold to be expected to do any in-the-garage work.

14. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you can get a pair of corsair valueselect ram 512 each for 84 bucks
    amd 64 3200+ venice is probably the best deal.. i think its around 160$? w/ fan
    and please please please do not get a dell

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Every once and a while, in a moment of weakness, I go through the Dell flyers I get in the mail.

The only reasons I would even consider a Dell is:
    1) Our company is exclusive Dell and I'm really good friends with the IT guys who know them better than Micheal Dell himself
    2) It's already built
    3) Oh sure cracking open the case violates the warranty but so does installing an EV button
    4) It would simply be done with

But then I put myself in check and snap out of it.

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I got the same type of runaround from APC.
    The UPS in question was way out of warranty and they harangued me with that fact, but they were willing to make me a “deal†on a replacement unit for a higher price than it would have cost me at Fry’s Electronics! :angry:

After multiple phone calls and a well executed plan of renunciation on their part, I placed the four golden words in a sentence . . . Consumer -Product - Safety -Commission.

Companies like them are so deathly afraid of the CPSC that they will do just about anything to stop someone from making a defective product report.

They changed their tune so quickly my head spun with the rapid fire questions . . . name, address, etc. They were especially interested if I still had the burnt-out UPS. They wanted it back so badly that they overnighted me a free replacement unit and prepaid return for the bad unit.

CPSC is you ace in the hole when talking to these companies about defective products.

Try dropping the CPSC bomb on them.

17. benighted

benighted New Member

Very true about Antec power supplies. They used to be OK but now they are complete crap. I bought an Antec Sonata about 2 years ago that came with a Antec True 380 PSU and I bough another Antec Sonata about a month ago. The new Sonata is slightly better than the old one but the PSU failed to boot my Socket 939 motherboard because even though it was a bigger PSU, it didn't have enough current on either rail to boot my machine.

18. floydenheimer

floydenheimer Junior Member

DFI motherboards are very picky about what RAM you put in them. Their boards are designed for enthusiasts that will be overclocking and a lot of the "value" RAM will not work well with them. Corsair ValueSelect is a bad choice to pair with the DFI nF4 Ultra-D. I'd stick to OCZ branded RAM with the DFI, they seem to work together on making sure they have compatible products.

Antec still makes good PSU's. You just have to get one that is suitable for your build.