1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Build quality of Volt/Ampera

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by andi1111, Jun 4, 2012.

1. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly!
    Although speculation, I think US got the 62mph EV Toyota only to satisfy the US driving cycle, so it wouldn't get the 5 miles (or even less) EV driving only. Instead they got 11 miles EV driving only.

Looking at this picture of EPA driving cycle:
    [​IMG]

With 51mph (80km/h) pure EV limit, the pure EV range for the US sticker would only be about 210 seconds into the test. 2-3 miles pure EV only?
    I bet, that US version gets 62mph pure EV PiP for that reason only.

Look at the European driving cycle (NEDC):
    [​IMG]
    80km/h (50mph) is reached at the end of the test cycle.

Good job Toyota. Tweaking the same car to the regions' driving cycles to get the best test results.

austingreen likes this.
  2. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The EPA chart is a just one kind of testing cycle - City. NEDC is combined 2/3 city and 1/3 highway. I'm adding the EPA highway test cycle, just for the completness.
    [​IMG]

3. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    -deleted-

4. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

But the EV mode is actually "CD" mode, i.e. charge depletion and not pure EV. The 11miles EPA range is how far it went until the battery was depleted. The PiP only received 6 miles of pure EV mode, and that was because of the high-acceleration/load region not speed.

Because they did not seem to optimize to maximize full EV range, it why I was suggesting it was about MPGe because to get high MPGe they have to minimize engine use in CD mode. I did think of another possible reason.. it may be to qulify for "city" EV mode (reduced taxes and such for EU cities), maybe they have to have a minimum distance of pure EV mode and my limiting max speed they can increase pure EV range.

But I do agree they were clearly tweaking, by region, to maximize something they perceived as important. It could be a combination of things, we just don't know. For all the people here that love to complain about GM playing games, it seems the beloved Toyota mothership does it just as well.

austingreen likes this.
  5. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to add more to the toyota games the "EPA" discussion I found some interesting plots on power-demand for the EPA city cycle

[​IMG]

As you can see the power demand is actually highest at some intermediate speeds, which is likely where the ICE is needed, not for speed but for power. (The curve is for the rather interesting edison prototype EVLC car so its not a requirement of EPA, but a measurement from their car. (The negative kw is because of regen). But since the EPA driver is trying to match speed and acceleration its a pretty good estiamtion of the demands.

You'll notice the max speed in the test is 56MPH, (verified by looking at the actual data in the test). so if Toyota was just gaming to say in EV for the the test they probably would not have gone for 62.. its not just speed.