1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

building a cargo hitch rack...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 05azprius, May 15, 2011.

1. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I just put a cargo rack on mine, and loaded up with 4 people, the rear struts seemed weak to me, so I installed an air ride kit. If you find your to heavy, you may want to do the same.

2. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also got the air springs, but haven't installed them yet.

For a little extra pizazz, you could add a large "FLAMMABLE" sticker to the back of your box to discourage tailgaters ;)[ame="http://www.cafepress.com/+flammable_sticker_rectangle,508132135"]...[/ame]

... or better yet, [ame="http://www.cafepress.com/+danger_explosives_sticker,387798525"] ...[/ame]

3. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just saw the thread Good job and as a suggestion maybe next time you should make a boat tail shaped cargo carrier so it will serve 2 functions 1) carry cargo & 2) Increase fuel economy! just a suggestion

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Call Steve at http://www.auobeyours.com. He has supplied me with parts for my 2004 Prius at reasonable prices.

JeffD

5. oliveoil

oliveoil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    nice Job, looks great...

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like it. If you lived closer I'd have you help me build my construction trailer. I'm happy to hear you re enforced the hitch. My hitch ball (the piece that slides into the car attached mount) rattles around. I'm going to get something close to a feeler gauge to shim it still while driving.

Since I like trailers so much I might just save up for a stow n tow trailer. I think they are nifty.

7. Yates

Yates New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My brother built me one a few years back. It's just a flatbed made from old bed rails w/ an expanded steel bottom. Coming out of the receiver hitch it is angled and elevated about 6 inches so it does not drag entering the driveway. One turn buckle is used to stabilize the rack. We also use a "water proof" bag to carry stuff.

8. 05azprius

05azprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mine comes straight out of the reciever but it is at a high enough height that it doesn't bottom out going out of my driveway, i'm sure on a steep drive it may a little...but, thats tends to not be a problem in this flat, boring landscape that is phoenix, az.

9. 05azprius

05azprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well i've driven about 800 miles with this rack on the back now....i've had 3 diesel battery's in it (65lb/ea) plus the rack itself (62lb?) with no issues, no bending of the rack or hitch, nothing looks overly stressed....big trip is next week, i feel pretty confident in the rack.

Attached Files:

10. Rook

Rook New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice work!

I was temped to get a salvaged Prius myself, but just was not sure how those things work here in Florida. Seems like it is not a very friendly salvage state. So I got a very high mileage '08 and so far I love it.

11. 05azprius

05azprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well i'm proud to say that the box held up just fine on the 3100 mile overall trip up/down the west coast. no issues aside from my wife bottoming it out on some steep driveways a few times.