1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Building oil pressure after a service ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Juntuner, Jun 25, 2019.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, Toyota could use and electric oil pump along with the mechanical one. And each time before the engine starts it could check the
    pressure and if there is no pressure the electric one could run until the system was up to pressure, then have the engine start.
    It's only money, right? :)

2. Juntuner

Juntuner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "5000 oil changes interesting number !"

Many race cars have a separate Ignition switches that need to be turned on separately from the Starter motor key /button .
    one big reason for having a separate ignition switch is so you can build up oil pressure before starting the engine by allowing the car to crank using the starter motor this in turn pumps oil around the motor fully and ensuring the oil system is Primed before you hit the ignition switch and then start the car .

I remember seeing a video of a Ferrari F40 LM where exactly this was done ,to Prevent Metal on Metal wear on startup (Not after an engine rebuild )the owner primed the engine with oil for 10 seconds then turned on the ignition switch to start the vehicle .like this

As previously mentioned it is common practice to prime an engine with oil after an oil and oil filter change with knowledgable Subaru owners
    Oil Change You must disconnect the Crank sensor & wind the engine over ?? Hmm - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum
    There is a comment that stands out in this Subaru forum thread
    "I know of at least one main dealer who sensibly adopted this practice and have seen NO bearing failures following service since, prior to they did"

In the case of my Prius after an oil change
    If you doubt that this metal on metal contact occurs and is caused by lack of oil and oil pressure please explain the cause of the metal on metal sound I and other members on this forum have heard after an oil filter and oil change ??

And can you explain why on some cars after and oil change the oil pressure light stays on for for 3 to 5 seconds ?what causes this drop in oil pressure ?

As for accumulators they are a good solution but I dont have the space in my car for one ,they are more suited to race cars where the car pulls high G forces in acceleration and corners and the oil moves to the walls of the sump under this G force thus causes oil starvation as there is little to no oil for the oil pump pickup to suck in.

although this Kit is similar to a Accumilator and is designed to stop the VVT cam gear rattle tin Toyotas that is causes by engine oil going back into the sump .
    it Primes the Engine with oil and oil pressure prior to starting and the same logic and rational I use to justify disconnecting the Coil on plug wires applys

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    WOW. My explanation is that you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I'm sorry, is this a Subaru forum? If Subaru is experiencing significant bearing failures after oil changes, then they have a design deficiency. Personally, I'll throw the BS Penalty flag on that. Otherwise Subarus would be dropping like flies after having the oil changed since there's no Fast Lube place in the world that's going to do that, and I'm sure they do a lot of Subarus.

For one thing, there is a HUGE (YUUUGE?) difference between a race engine and a prius engine. Do you have any idea about what kind of spring pressures are run in the valve train on those engines? Maybe they even crank the engine FIRST and then turn on the ignition in order to make it easier on the starter motor due to the ignition timing/compression? Most of those engines get rebuilt or replaced after every race or every race weekend. You're comparing apples to oranges.

You're spending way too much time and effort trying to convince yourself this is something that HAS to be done, when the reality of tens of millions (or 100s of millions) of cars says different.

There are plenty of 300k, 400k and 500k mile cars out there that don't. I can't think of a single repair manual I've ever looked through that says to do that.

In the big picture, do what you feel you need to do. It's your car.

2014 likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's what happens in a Prius every time the engine starts. It gets spun up to speed first, then ignition and fuel are added.

It doesn't spend ten whole seconds spinning ... but then, MG1 can spin it around five times as fast as a conventional starter motor, so building up the oil pressure doesn't take very long.

Juntuner and 2014 like this.
  5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that every owner is well aware of that.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A Prius is NOT a race car.
    If you wish to "prime" the oil pressure before starting, go for it.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is TOO a race car.

AzWxGuy likes this.