1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Building the Prius in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Vike, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is weird - a local Toyota dealer just told me that a Gen4 Prius they had ordered was coming from a plant in Mexico. I didn't want to argue with him on the spot (who the hell knows any more?), but after I got home I checked around and I've found no reference to any Prius manufacturing in MX.

Does anyone know what the truth of this would be? Is there any place to confirm Prius manufacturing locations for the 2016 model?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mexico - Tacoma only production

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, currently all Prius are built in Japan. The hybrid RAV4, however, seems to be built in Canada. According to what I've heard on TV, and if on there it must be true. ;)

5. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I appreciate that, but I don't necessarily trust everything Wikipedia says either. I did already check Wikipedia before posting here of course, but haven't found where that information was sourced. My assumption was that all Prius models for NA were imported from Japan, so I'm about to cancel an order based on this issue (I don't really care where Toyota builds their cars, but I do care about being lied to), and I don't want to proceed impulsively.

Again, any references from Toyota or a properly curated source would be welcome. Thanks!

#5 Vike, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    2016 Toyota Prius review | Autocar

States it is from Japan, but it is a UK source so do not take the Mileage figures as gospel, they are not US EPA figures, and the UK uses a different gallon than the US.

7. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Japan made Toyota/Lexus starts letter "J" all VIN numbers.

fotomoto and Vike like this.
  8. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    According to Toyota Motor Sales USA customer service, they can neither confirm nor deny that any U.S. bound Prius models are manufactured in Mexico. This struck me as idiotic and I told them so, since this was at the heart of a major customer service problem. They took down the dealer's information and assigned me a service manager and case number for callback before COB Mar 2.

After all this, if my car is not in fact waiting to be built in a Mexican plant, I'm getting a refund of my deposit and going to another dealer. I've been reluctant to buy out of state, but it may come to that.

If car dealers don't want to be considered the scum of the earth, they need to stop acting like it. My last satisfactory dealership experience was buying a new 1988 Mercury Tracer off the lot, but the car was under-appreciated in the marketplace and we were cash buyers, so I suppose the reasonably respectful and straightforward treatment we got there was probably the dealership equivalent of being gripped in a sobbing embrace.

#8 Vike, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    fotomoto and Vike like this.
  10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Prius is only made in Japan. Your sales rep is an idiot. Both your 2005 and 2016 Prius were built in Japan.

Vike likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe they drop them off before going through the canal, and put them on trucks with tacoma's.

i believe if a prius manufacturing line had been built in mexico, we would know it. these things don't happen in a vacuum.

12. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldn't rule that out (though many obviously enter through SoCal, so I wouldn't see the point), but that wouldn't address the issue at hand. If the car has yet to be built in that scenario, it's still coming from the other side of the Pacific, contrary to the story my "sales rep...idiot" [thanks spwolf] is trying to sell me.

13. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The port of Los Angeles would be a lot easier than trucking them from Mexico (or Panama).

Vike likes this.
  14. Jabbar

Jabbar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Vike why does that matter? and all Prius are made in Japan he might made a mistake

iPhone ?

15. Jabbar

Jabbar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I was buying my Prius the dealer lied multiple times

iPhone ?

16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's not a mistake - it's inexcusable idiocy or dishonesty - should I prefer one or the other?

It matters because it means the car is now not going to be here until late March instead of last week, and I have a family member waiting on our old car. They've been wasting my time.

And yes, I contacted Toyota USA Customer Service to resolve the issue. Insanely, they claimed that they couldn't tell me because manufacturing locations were "proprietary information" - you know, like MX missile silo locations. Eventually got past the moron layer to confirm that no, absolutely no Prius models are built in Mexico - for the U.S. market at least, they are ALL built in Japan. Longer write-up in the "Let's hear from buyers" thread:

2016 Prius - let's hear from buyers | Page 30 | PriusChat

I'm probably done on this thread, updates will be on the one above. Thanks for replies!

18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mexico? Was this dealer a Honda dealers too? Honda has manufacturing plants in Mexico. Maybe he is confused? Most dealers have no clue on the cars they sell.

19. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, not a Honda dealer. Just a freaking incompetent, lying Toyota salesman.

If they don't want to learn the product, they have no business selling it. I have no sympathy - screw these defectives.

Rebound likes this.
  20. Jabbar

Jabbar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A little harsh

iPhone ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.