1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumblebee BeeMax installed over the weekend

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TimmGleason, Jul 31, 2018.

1. TimmGleason

TimmGleason New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    After a weary game of whack-a-mole, replacing bad cells one by one I finally went all in and purchased a BeeMax All New replacement for my Gen 2 Prius. I had a short email conversation with one of the front office folks there so that I would be assured of having an assembled battery when I stopped by their Gresham Oregon location.

Pulled my failing Dorman rebuild battery (installed sometime prior to my purchase of the vehicle, no paperwork on when that happened), tossed it in the other car and seat off to Portland. Arrived, paid for new battery, and unloaded my old one. They did pull my old battery computer, or attempted to as the pressed in stud that it is secured to was spinning in the housing and the nut wouldn't come loose. I did not know about the brain swap or I would have done that at my shop prior to heading out, no biggie really. Sent me on my way with two other computers they had in the hopes that at least one of them would work for me. If not, assured me that they would get Eli to pull mine on Monday and send it up.

These are all new battery cells in an old battery case, looking very similar to other new replacement cell kits I have seen. Took a quick snap of the inside before I put the end cap on (see below). There appears to be much more airflow around these cylindrical packs than the stock Panasonic cells. First brain was DOA, would not post up with every dash light on and the motor would not start. Second brain, good to go. Tightened everything down and took a quick 3 mile trip out and back with the monitoring app via the ODB reader. No problems, so I buttoned everything back up, ran in to town and filled the tank.

Had to head into Seattle proper yesterday (Monday) and that is about a 60 mile each way trip. The weather here has been really quite warm (about 30-32 C) so I knew I was going to get to see how well these new cells stayed cool. They did wonderfully, never getting above 37C, where as my stock battery regularly got into the 45-47C range on slightly warmer days. After the trip back home I had put about 160 miles total on the new battery and was averaging around 46 mpg (mostly highway), slightly higher than even my best from before the traction battery started to fail.

So while it has only been two days, I would have to say that my switch to the BeeMax has been a resounding success.

2. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great report! These guys seem as expensive as Toyota, though. For Gen 2 it's $2,945 - $750 core = $2,195. 2KToaster sells a kit with cylindricals for $1,600 and no core (you can recover some cash by selling good cells from your old pack), but he is sold out till October AFAIK.

The big advantage with Bumblebee is that they have it in stock and are ready to ship in 3-4 days. I am glad to hear your initial experiences have been good. Keep us posted.

TimmGleason and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome! Thanks for posting your experience with the community

4. TimmGleason

TimmGleason New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was out the door at exactly $2,195, no tax in Oregon. No shipping as I picked it up myself. No four + hours of disassembly and reassembly, plus hours of testing and selling off old cells. Took me all of 30-45 minutes to install and troubleshoot. I was basically tired of tinkering with the car and just needed it to work (my daily driver vehicle). I looked at the kit, but not being available (plus I could not go pick that up, so shipping charges) made it a non starter for me. And $2,200 is way better than the 3.5 to 4k that the local Toyota dealer would charge.

jzchen and VFerdman like this.
  5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, in your case it totally makes sense. I wonder if these are the same quality cells that 2kToaster is selling. I am glad there is an easily obtainable choice. Thanks again for sharing. I did not know about it.

TimmGleason likes this.
  6. TimmGleason

TimmGleason New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Could not say. Unfamiliar with 2kToasters product specs and I did not want to break the warranty seal on my case (3 year warranty).
    Plus nothing on the website (assuming that 2kToaster is running the newpriusbatteries.com site) give any info about increased capacity. The BeeMax new cell supposedly has a 8.0Ah capacity instead of the 6.5Ah capacity of the stock Panasonic cells. Unsure what the increased capacity provides in terms of performance, but I am assuming that it gives a longer usage time to the electric boost motor.

7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure added capacity is relevant as the car's software may not be aware of it and treat the battery as a 6.5Ah one. I don't know how the software works on this cars, so it's a guess, but I am not sure extra capacity will show up as better fuel economy or anything. Maybe more longevity, but I am not sure. Would be interesting to know. Also, if the extra capacity makes the pack more expensive I would opt for the stock capacity and save a few bucks, but I think the (higher capacity) cells used are what is easier to buy from the manufacturer.

TimmGleason likes this.
  8. TimmGleason

TimmGleason New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If one thinks of capacity in terms of mobile phone batteries, bigger capacity batteries do not make one's phone work faster, just longer. Say 28 hours instead of 24 hours before it needs a recharge. That is how I am expecting this to work out. Since the Prius system is a continual charge/discharge system, I do not think in practical terms that the increased capacity will make much difference. Perhaps only if one has the EV only option hacked in and then you run out of fuel...

VFerdman likes this.
  9. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it would be helpful to know the algorithm of operation on that system, but I assume it monitors SOC and makes decisions based on that as to when to charge and when to discharge. More capacity could potentially increase gas fuel economy, but again, I have no idea how the algorithm works. Please keep us informed as to how this works out for you. I am very interested as I am driving an '07 with 194K miles on it. So far no signs of weakness on the battery and I do own a Prolong system that I have used once now and plan to use again when the weather cools down. But I know the battery is not a spring chicken and am keeping tabs on all the options. I really love this car (after a year of ownership so far) and want to keep it going.

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well Mr Gleason........this is an interesting day.

This is a prime opportunity for you to provide information to the group. Seems like a lot of what I hear about these 8000mAh modules is that someone's blowing smoke you know where, but I've never had the opportunity to verify it one way or the other. Any chance you have an android phone and Hybrid Assistant app? Maybe you can do a load test on your new battery and see what kind of results are obtained? Compare it to a decent OEM battery. Maybe some acceleration and deceleration tests to see what kind of max amperage? Inquiring minds want to know............

SFO likes this.
  11. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Max amperage test will not tell us anything about capacity. Load test may, though. Hybrid Assistant and an inexpensive OBDII dongle is all it takes.

And again, if the algorithm only allows for 6.5Ah of capacity, it may not allow the higher capacity to show up on the test performed using such algorithm (i.e. inside the car). The battery needs to be bench tested to know for sure.

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    10-4....I'm with you on that. I'm just curious if these modules can provide the same current peaks. The ecu controls the max limits for discharge and charge (I typically see 25kw charge & 21kw discharge limits) for the OEM battery. If I remember correctly, that was around 157 amps discharge and 110(?) on regen. I'd probably have to look back through my files to verify that. Just curious if this cylindrical can obtain the same rates.

SFO likes this.
  13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well I'm going to give them a (y) for honestly describing their cheaper rebuilt versions accurately and avoiding the word "new". (bold mine)

"The “BeeLine” Rebuilt Battery for the Toyota Prius from Bumblebee Batteries is a highly affordable hybrid battery replacement option to keep your Prius on the road. Each BeeLine Battery has been carefully rebuilt using meticulously tested and reconditioned OEM cells."

OTOH, their new cylindrical pack seems cost prohibitive to me at $3,200 upfront (core and shipping charges). Best for folks like the OP who can avoid those extra charges.

14. TimmGleason

TimmGleason New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have, up to this point, only been using the Dr Prius and Torque w/Prius PIDs added apps (both paid versions). I will take a look at Hybrid Assistant and see what numbers I can pull up from it. I may make some missteps as I am unfamiliar with the app, but I will give it a go.

I did run the Life Expectancy Test from Dr Prius, but have not yet run a Full Battery Test from that app. The Life Expectancy Test gave a very respectable 95% capacity left, but provide no specific values from which it judges this. Any pointers to the use of Hybrid Assistant will be gladly taken. Result to be forthcoming and posted in this thread.

SFO and VFerdman like this.
  15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, indeed, great report.

I'd also be interested in any reports and follow up, if you can find the time.

One thing though,
    I don't seem to see an attached image. Not too worried, really just curious to see what they look like.

Not that it matters to you, here are a couple of answers to questions you raised:
    Free shipping to any of the 48 continental US states.
    The capacity matches the OEM at 6.5 Ah, tested and verified on his equipment. There has been discussion in one of the newpriusbatteries threads that one of the reasons for creating his own product was that when he tested modules that were currently available, the claimed capacity was proved to actually be less than claimed and usually less than 6.5 Ah. some were barely 3 Ah.

I do understand that the availability of the BeeMax vs New PriusBatteries was the key factor.

So, as I said above, this is all moot to you. I'm glad you are happy and I hope that you can continue to report good things about the BeeMax product. I do know that company has a good reputation among the people that know the company and who also work in the industry, so I don't expect they will be offering anything other than a good product.

#15 dolj, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  16. TimmGleason

TimmGleason New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    For those who could not see my 'forgotten to include' image from the first post: (Thank you dolj)

Attached Files:

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are there any long term reviews yet? how long have they been selling the new battery?

VFerdman likes this.
  18. TimmGleason

TimmGleason New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I seem to be having some issues with the Hybrid Assistant App not being very accurate with some things.

The speed readings seem a bit off from other methods (i.e. dashboard speedometer and GPS assisted speed measurements) by a few MPH.
    Mileage readings are off in every trip I have logged. 14.8 mile trip from ferry dock to work is logged as 23.5 miles. 46.1 highway trip from work to home is logged as 72.3 miles. Soooo, it seems as though the app does not switch to Imperial/Miles properly.
    MPG readings seem WAY off. Assuming that this is the same Units bug that causes mileage to be incorrectly reported as well.

Basically my first two days of data collection are garbage as I do not know which figures are correct.
    10 points for the interface design, I like that, but minus several million for bad math.

VFerdman likes this.
  19. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a similar problem and I fixed it, but do not remember how.... I think I set the gallons to US (non-imperial) and then killed the app and restarted it. I think that worked. It's a good app once the silly things are worked out.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The miles unit is the same across the world (thank goodness), so that won't be the problem.
    Check and make sure you are set to US gallons as VFerdman suggests.