1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumped into Parking Lot Pole

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Walter Tobias Karlmichael, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Walter Tobias Karlmichael

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have owned this 2013 Prius for a little over a year. I was in a parking lot full of poles, so of course, I backed into one as I was pulling out. I am posting here because this is my first (and hopefully last) brainfail collision, and am hoping that someone with similar experience might be able to share that experience, or suggestions.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouchie! i hope it's your last, but my first was the first of many.:oops: have you called your insurance co.?

3. Walter Tobias Karlmichael

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My insurance does not include such kind of damage.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A Blow-dryer and baseball bat will knock that dent out. It's important to warm up the area well. Leaving out in the sun may be enough. It looks like you have good access from the wheel well. A little polish will take out the scuff. See YouTube.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like a job for a pro. why not stop by a body shoppe, tell them you don't have coverage, and discuss what it will cost to put it the way you want it?
    for me, good enough is good enough.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't see having a car without collision/comprehensive insurance, doubly so with late model car. You pay your yearly penance, and you're covered. Much rather pay $500 deductable than be on the hook for $1000's.

I'd second @bisco, pay the piper, get it repaired professionally. What you save with a DIY repair will stand out like a sore thumb when it comes time to sell or trade.

bisco likes this.
  7. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe the mirror cover and the door can be cleaned up with ScratchX or a clay bar.

9. Walter Tobias Karlmichael

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice. Having spoken to several body shops today, the dealer's recommended shop suggested replacement fender and paint at around $1350. Two other shops offered higher quotes around $2000, and it seems to be materials which are higher for them. Another shop offered a visual estimate that it could be repaired at $750, but did not provide the detailed cost breakdown the others did. All three of the independent body shops were people I found through Yelp. I am not sure what to make of the suggestion the fender could be repaired rather than replaced, and it is here I would ask if anyone has repaired in lieu of replace and what were the consequences (if any)?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they knock it out the best they can, hit it with some bond and repaint. that's the route i would take, not expecting perfection.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Your car isn't a beater so don't treat it like one. I'd replace the fender. Who's removing the yellow paint from the door and the mirror cover? Don't let them just paint over it.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Talk to the body shops, ask how they intend to blend in the paint. The key is to thin out the paint with clear as you get progressively further from the repair. Otherwise you WILL see a transition.

13. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look up "dent repair" or "paintless dent repair" on Yelp too. There are some people who specialize in taking out dents, and they are usually cheaper than body shop. They usually don't need to repaint. Your fender has your VIN on it. A new fender would not having a matching VIN, and some potential buyers might notice that and wonder if you had a larger accident.

Here are some really skillful dent repairers: