1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumper protection pads in NYC...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by OceanEyes, Feb 3, 2013.

1. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A number of vehicles I saw had these rubber pads coming out from the lift gates or trunk to protect the car's rear bumper...first time I have seen a gadget like this... At first I thought someone was losing a cargo mat....

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, you'll primarily see them in the other 4 boroughs, but not here on Staten Island. The people who have to parallel park all the time use them. I've never liked them I guess because so many people leave them out the whole time they're driving around and it looks just as bad as having the scratches from other inconsiderate parallel parkers who cannot park.

Usually I just call them bumper guards, and I think that's even one of the company names.

Just checked, and yep, there's bumper guard and bumper bully, just to name a few I am sure. Both are ones I see often while in Brooklyn.

www.bumperguard.org

Outdoor Parking Bumper Protector, Bumper Protection, Rear Bumper Guard

I've even seen real obnoxious ones that actually wrap around the whole rear bumper and clip into the rear wheelwells for full wrap around protection lol. I do not know but before I went through all of that, I'd just move out of Brooklyn, Queens etc or pay for a spot in the garage in my building (if they had one.).

OceanEyes likes this.
  3. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bumper Saver was the other brand I saw. Still in amazement at how many Prii I saw... the taxis were a plus although we were not lucky enough to hail one.

Back in my Brooklyn residing days I had the beater Datsun B210GX... she was the best city car for escaping the city on the FDR Drive (that brought back a lot of memories today!!). Alternate side of the street parking was a brick, though. Don't miss that at all.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I hear you on that. I moved from Brooklyn to S.I. when I was something like 12 but I still remember my father looking many days 20 minutes or more for a spot often resorting to parking several blocks away from the house.

I had to google that model of Datsun. It's got one funky look from the side, small hood and huge 'rear' lol.

[​IMG]

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you take them off I`m thinking there`ll be abrasion from grit.

It just generally ticks me when I see the `bumpers` on today`s cars. They`re really fairings, aerodynamic wind foils, absolutely no functionality as a bumper, ie: something that can take a slight hit, or be used to nudge a vehicle.

30 years back bumpers were hydraulically mounted, with black rubber contact strips. Not very pretty, I know, but...

^ yeah there you go (pic above), a thing of beauty ;)

OceanEyes likes this.
  7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh Gawd! Forgot how ugly that car was... mine was lime green with racing stripes - was a hand me down from my grandmother who liked bright colors!

8. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The other thing I noticed was how they can stack cars in a parking lot - almost like a giant Matchbox or Hot Wheels storage case. The city certainly has changed but the drivers haven't!;) A few taxi rides and car service brought back memories!