1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumper replacement from Road Debris? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ryn01599, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Ryn01599

Ryn01599 Hybrid Owner for Life

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So last night I was driving home and I saw a giant steel mesh ball of scrap metal or something rolling my way (apparently from one of the construction trucks in front of me) and before I knew it, I smashed into it and swerved a bit with a huge shock!!! I immediately pulled off the highway, unable to locate the bastard who's truck it rolled off of and found that my front bumper had a gash on the left side, Lower grill missing with no foam padding behind it, and the majority of the harder plastic wheel wall surrounding the left tire gone.:mad:

My car is just over a year new and I didn't want to have to take it to the body shop so soon! I didn't see any other damage to the tire, radiator, giant cylinder thing in front of my left tire. Mainly the bumper and foam stuff behind it.

My question is this: How much would it cost to have the front bumper replaced and looking like new (any other parts that might be damaged)? secondly, given that it was a non-vehicular accident and I have a low deductible ~$50, will my insurance go up to have it fixed?

Hopefully someone can help me out as I am overwhelmed and stressed out about this given that I might not be able to get Christmas gifts this year if my insurance is going to go through the roof. Thanks!!! :confused::confused::confused::(:(:(

-Ryan

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is called hazard insurance and part of your coverage. If your rates go up, check the rates for a higher deductible. We have a $500 deductible. BTW, you can change insurance companies and/or send a complaint letter to the state government office that oversees insurance companies.

Bob Wilson

3. barryjkaufman

barryjkaufman New Member

Back bumper experience

Ryan: I was backing out of a parking space on a rainy afternoon and didn't see the minivan behind me. Kaboom.....I hit the corner of the minivan's front bumper. Not a scratch to the minivan, but my bumper suffered a major dent and a number of gashes. The bumper and the foam padding behind it, had to be replaced at a cost of $700.00. Pretty significant considering for a little bump at a very slow speed. Toyota...are you listening? This should not be a compromise to get a car with great gas mileage.

Barry

4. etw934

etw934 Junior Member

Cost of repairs to cars these days are surprisingly high. Last year, my wife was backing her '99 Honda out of parking space in a parking garage when the woman across the aisle back out without looking and hit the right corner of the bumper on the Honda, denting it, and cracking the lens on the right tail light. The cost to have the damage repaired was estimated at $750. The repair involved removing the bumper's external plastic skin and sending it out to an outside contractor for smoothing out the dent in the bumper skin, refinishing the bumper and replacing the tail light lens. The cost out-the-door was $717. I have $500 deductible on my collision damage so I had to pay the $500 and my insurance company paid the balance. The other woman driver had Allstate insurance ruled that there was 50/50 responsibility for the accident and would pay only 50%. So I got $250 back from my insurance company once they collected from Allstate.

Sounds like the damage on your Prius is much more extensive than the damage to our '99 Honda. I don't see any choice other than to contact your insurance company and get estimates from the body shop(s) they recommend or will accept. Good luck to you on this one.

5. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your story sounds pretty much exactly like what happened to my wife a few years ago. She hit what she thought was a rolled up piece of chain link fence as it was cartwheeling down the freeway, and it ripped the driver mirror off and scraped the left side of the car. Our insurance DID go up, although I didn't find out until our next 6 month policy was issued. This was through Allstate at the time (ironically who I have once again) and I was pretty pissed. They called it an 'At Fault' accident. Crazy. I suppose they would have rather she swerved into another car or the guardrail.

You might want to call your agent and just explain the situation and see what they say. You shouldn't have to worry about your rates going up unless they actually issue a check.

You may also want to take it to a body shop and see what the cost would be.

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same thing happened to me 2 weeks from new - only 1,000 miles! Truck tire tread took out front bumper, lower grill, 1 fog light, and damaged the passenger door - $1300+. Like the man said, that's what insurance is for. Just pay the deductable, and drive away as good as new. No big deal. Your comprehensive/road hazard coverage should cover it. I've had 3 such incidents on different cars over the past 5 years, and my rates didn't go up. Thanks, State Farm. Watch out for the road "furniture" ! :mad:

7. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you mean the bumper cover or the actual metal bumper under the plastic cover?

8. Ryn01599

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for helping all.

I contacted AllState - they claim it to be an Act of God and the repair is $1500+ any other damage they find underneath the car (if there is any). My deductible is $250 but my insurance would go up roughly $20 per month!!! Am I looking at the right coverage for this or can I go through another coverage like "road hazard"? I don't mind paying the deductible but I don't want to pay $20 per month for 3 YEARS!

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    State Farm called it "Comprehensive". I didn't see any rate increase. I did pay the $500 deductable.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    an act of god is like a tree falling on your car, or flood damage iirc. (i last read the policy in july so it's been a while.) road debris is an act of some idiot who didn't secure his cargo. i just don't see where it's your fault.

our vandalism was covered with no increase in our premiums, by allstate, because it was not our fault.

11. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With your low deductible, I'd definitely have it taken care of by the insurance company.

If Allstate is going to raise your rates for something that wasn't your fault, I'd start shopping around for a better insurance company.

Even if you don't, $20 * 36 + $250 still saves you about $500.

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    God should be a lot more careful about where she leaves her giant steel mesh ball of scrap metal :rolleyes:

I would look for a different insurance co. They shouldn't bump your rates because of an "Act of God". They suck.

13. Jon the Chief

Jon the Chief Jon the Chief

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bumper replacement from Road Debris?

Sorry, I don't think you can make a replacement bumper out of road debris!

14. Ryn01599

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I FIXED THE SOLUTION:

After inspecting my car the other day, I looked under the left tire and found animal fluff!!! I hit an animal! It was dark and raining so it looked and sounded like a giant ball of metal rolling my way - it must have been a giant ball of running flesh! This is great news because my insurance agent says this type of accident is fully covered under Comprehensive for a $50 deductible... AND my insurance does not go up . This saves me nearly $1000 and although my car still needs work, I am happier about my pocketbook situation

-Ryan

15. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would have rather hit road junk than an animal, but that's just me. You sound so happy about it.

16. eddie27970

eddie27970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ryan, was going to tell you exactly how much it costs, because you described same damage as I have from 3-hunting beagles that shot out in front of me one dark morning on the way to work. But then I read where you found fur under car. My estimate on an 05 without spoiler is about $950. If I get spoiler, like on an 06, it goes to just over $1000. Mine is $100 deductible. No ticket or points. In North Carolina you are better off to call Highway Patrol where accident happened and have them do report, which I did. (Sorry to say the middle dog in this 3-dog chase crossing road did not make it.)

17. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So it was an act of Dog, not an act of God.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. ;)

18. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps it was a wire-haired terrier!

19. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'd rather not hit anything. Drive safe.:D

20. PhilsWFC

PhilsWFC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving on I-95 in the wee morning hours last week, coming back from a National League Championship Series game in Philly, when a pickup truck about 20 yards in front of me suddenly changed lanes. I had just moved into the far right lane (the far left one was closed b/c of construction ... and I usually drive in the far right lane anyway).

Just after the truck moved into the next lane over, I noticed a dark patch on the road surface as I quickly approached it. I couldn't tell what it was, and not being versed at all in swerving on a major highway, I drove over it. At the last second, I realized ("oh, crap") it was road debris of some sort. Too late to swerve by then anyway.

A loud scraping sound coming from under the car immediately let me know something was wrong. I pulled over ... and was stunned to see the front bumper hanging off the car, with a giant crack almost right down the middle. The A/C condenser and radiator were banged up. I managed to drive home, but barely.

Anyway, on to my question: It's been bugging me as to what the debris could have been. It was a dark mass of something, about four or five feet wide in all. My best guess is that it was a couple of treads from an 18-wheeler, but I wonder if treads could shred a Prius bumper like mine was shredded. Anybody have an experience like this?