1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumperplugs.com - Right color for the glossy black part of the bumper?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Darien Day, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So I had to go to CA to get my Prime, but in CA they drill holes for the front bumper license plate. We aren't required to have them in NV.

My Prime is Blizzard Pearl, but the part of the bumper the holes are drilled into is a glossy black. Anyone know what black that would be:

BumperPlugs for Toyota

?

I had toyed with the idea of plugging the holes with waterproof white LEDs that I could tie into the DRLs, but that would be too much work for me.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no color code for the part. It is unpainted black plastic. Not really glossy more of matte black. The part is the backside of the front grille sub-assembly supporting the fragile acrylic facia (aka "glass jaw"). The arrow in the photo below is the drilled holes for the front license plate attachment sites of the detached grille sub-assembly (Part Number: 5310147150).

upload_2021-12-26_18-55-52.png

Darien Day likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    duplicate: deleted

4. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hmmm... Won't be cheap to order one of each black to find the closest match. They have at least 10 black plugs in that drop-down list. I could always just contrast it with Blizzard Pearl plugs.

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked the site you linked. But it does not have a specific model. It just says Toyota with color code. I have a feeling that what you are going to get is a generic round-shaped plug painted with specified color code paint. If you just want to plug the drilled hole, I think it s much easier and cheaper to use body filler, like Bondo, and spray paint matte black.

upload_2021-12-26_19-17-22.png

Here is the grille-subassembly part with the acrylic facia removed. As you can see, it is just virgin black plastic. No paint is applied.

upload_2021-12-26_19-16-19.png

Darien Day likes this.
  6. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, that is what they sell.

Are you kidding though? It's much, much simpler to just pop a plug into the hole rather than filling, sanding and painting.

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, maybe not easier than popping the plug, but it can't be that hard to just fill it with Bondo and sand and spray paint and it will look more like undrilled plastic than having a prominently painted round pop-in plug showing in that location.

Here is the photo of the Prius with the pop-in plugs from the site. Your choice of black, no matter which one you pick, is never going to much the matte virgin black plastic of the parts, I would think.

upload_2021-12-26_19-31-21.png

Darien Day likes this.
  8. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's fine I guess. I'll just get Blizzard Pearl plugs so they look like parking sensors.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please show us when you plug in the holes. I just want to see what it looks like...;)

Here is a rendering I just did on a windchill pearl PP with two white dots.

upload_2021-12-26_20-0-25.png

Darien Day likes this.
  10. TerryM

TerryM Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Would something like this work better
    [​IMG]
    .Amazon.com: (Lot of 50) || CAPLUGS || Assorted 10 Each ( 1/4", 3/8", 1/2",3/4", 1") Flush Mount Black Hole Panel Plugs for Auto Body and Sheet Metal | Furniture Decor | by SBD : Industrial & Scientific

If you know someone at a body shop, they would probably let you have the size you need for a lot less than those bumper plugs. It is too dark out here for me to get a look at my Prime to see what you are dealing with but based on Sal's pictures I would think anything made from a similar plastic would look okay.

Darien Day likes this.
  11. Pulse07

Pulse07 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Go to the auto parts store and buy black bumper spray paint. and paint the plugs then, pop it in. No one could tell from 3 feet away. If they are more than 3 feet , they are too close to my car.

Darien Day likes this.
  12. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ugh, it's uglier than I thought. I took the front plate frame off today and there's a scratch even on the clear glossy part:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bumper plugs will only fix the holes, not all of the scratches.

#12 Darien Day, Dec 28, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  13. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I bought my prime from MASS and no need for front plate in PA

I just left the holes as is.
    I did email the sales guy before the PDI to not put a front plate on but oh well.
    It bugged me for the first day when I took off the plate... then oh well.

I would second the bondo/filler and paint it up.

That front "glass jaw has funky "cracks" all thru out when looking at different angles.
    Just sorta had to get used to it.

Darien Day likes this.
  14. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ok so that grill sub-assembly that the holes are drilled into for the license plate, is $275. I looked at the parts catalog and can't find that glass jaw piece that mine also has a scratch on from them mounting the plate.

Do you know how much that part is? The bumper place down the road from my house wants to charge almost $500 to fill the holes (won't fix the scratches on the grill sub-assembly or the scratch on the glass jaw piece).

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The grille sub-assembly part I linked above (Part Number: 5310147150).containes both backing black plastic and front facia acrylic piece together. There are no separately sold parts. Just remember that no matter how careful you are, the front acrylic piece is going to get damaged over time. Toyota put the most fragile body part right on the front of the car where it is always subject to road debris, rocks, and small animals.

As I said, filling the hole with Bondo and sanding it, and spray painting it will take maybe less than an hour of work and cost less than $20 materials.

#15 Salamander_King, Dec 28, 2021
    Optoprius Prime likes this.
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of note, there are a few iterations of the front grille sub-assembly.

Part Number: 5310147150 Fits Prius Prime (2021 - 2022) W/PRIME, w/o pre-crash.
    Part Number: 5310147041 Fits Prius Prime (2017 - 2020) W/PRIME, w/o pre-crash
    Part Number: 5310147052 Fits Prius Prime (2017 - 2020) W/PRIME, w/pre-crash
    Part Number: 5310147160 Fits Prius Prime (2021 - 2022) W/PRIME, w/pre-crash

I think the difference between w/o pre-crash and w/pre-crash are the parking sensors located in the parts for Ltd 2020-current or Advanced for 2017-2020. I think the 2017-2020 parts have a darker greenish color acrylic piece compared to 2021-2022, but otherwise the same. I think the parts are interchangeable to some extent, but if you have Ltd or Advanced, then you will need w/pre-crash parts that accommodate the parking sensors. The $275 parts I linked above is for w/o pre-crash, if you use it, on Ltd trim, then you will not have places to fit the parking sensors.

#16 Salamander_King, Dec 28, 2021
    Optoprius Prime and Darien Day like this.
  17. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ah ok so the part for the 2022 Prime Limited (5310147160) is $385.23 (Larry H Miller Toyota in SLC). That's all I 'd need to order then comes the labor cost to have the part swapped out.

I'll tell the bumper place that they're charging more than for a brand new bumper for my car.

I was going to take the car to a place that does XPEL paint protection film. I wanted to have the front bumper, leading edge of the hood and the back of the side-view mirrors covered in the film. No point now unless I get that front bumper fixed. If it was just the holes to plug with bumper plugs it would have been easy.

I guess I could just put the license plate frame back on to cover everything then find something creative or that looks half decent to put on it.

#17 Darien Day, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  18. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    flatten the hole and slap some flex tape on it ?

19. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well I took the car in to the bumper place that was charging more for their repair than for a new bumper from Toyota. When they actually saw the holes and scratches they told me they couldn't fix that anyway because it's plastic. I took the car to three other body and bumper shops and all said they couldn't fix the issues.

They all recommended I bring it to Toyota and just get it replaced OR use some flat black paint to paint over the scratches, use bumper plugs for the holes and just try to ignore the scratches on the clear acrylic part.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Clean up the edges of the hole, flush-fill with Bondo, then painted that area with satin-black Plasti-Dip?

upload_2021-12-30_7-13-38.png

Salamander_King and Darien Day like this.