1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bunch of lights came on - VSC, engine management light, red triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by G99, Mar 14, 2022.

1. G99

G99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Hi

I was driving normally, and phone was running really low on battery, i plugged in my phone charger and connected phone and all of a sudden the following came on (i disconnected the phone straight away):

VSC in yellow
    ((i)) in yellow
    engine management light in yellow
    Triangle with exclamation mark in red

I wasn't too far from home, so drove home, no idea what any of the lights mean, any help would be great?

2. G99

G99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I've tried the DO-IT-YOURSELF TEST PROCEDURE from this blog: Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

When I clicked Vehicle Signal Check - Batter showed at 11.8v
    When I pressed brake to power on, the battery then showed 14.0v

Something else is strange, with all heating off, after about a min of turning car on, I get a loud fan noise, which is coming from the back seat vents, so directly behind the driver side, backseats there are some vents on the side, i can feel air coming out from it.... I assume related to this?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 11.8 volts before going READY was a little low, and indicates it would be a good thing to give your battery a good full charge. At the same time, it doesn't need to distract you from troubleshooting your issues. (If it had been below 11, the repair manual would tell you to charge or replace it before proceeding.)

The 14 after going READY is normal. The car's DC/DC converter is supplying the power then.

The car has already saved trouble codes for you to tell you what the issues are. For some, a scan tool is needed to read them. If you don't have a scan tool handy, you can read at least the VSC and ((!)) codes using only a short length of wire (between the Tc and CG terminals at the car's diagnostic port) and counting blinks of some dash lights. You can search up other threads with more details on how to do that. May as well write down the codes from any dash lights that are flashing them.

The vent opening beside the back seat is an intake. If that fan is running, you may feel air moving if you put your hand there, but it should not be coming out.

That fan is for cooling the car's traction battery, so it suggests that the trouble code you get for the triangle light may end up being one to do with the battery.

4. G99

G99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Hello

Thanks for all the info
    I just had a recovery guy come, who connected the scan tool. It showed the cells in the hybrid battery is faulty.
    Also showed issues with a couple of A.C sensors

He reset all the lights and they havent come back when restarting the car a few times, but advised i have to get the hybrid battery sorted, either changed or the cells replaced by an approved Toyota dealer.

The car is a 2006 plate, so I dont even know if it's worth getting the hybrid battery fixed.

He claimed if the lights come on again, not to drive and to pull over and call recovery, not sure if that is correct, would be good to get a 2nd opinion from folks on here if i can continue driving a short distance, 4-5 miles to get to where I need to be , but I assume it's going to be an expensive job.

5. G99

G99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Hello

Hopefully someone can guide me. I got in touch with replacement hybrid battery garages (as that is what is being suggested to me online and the breakdown guy who came last night), and have been quoted £450 by 3 separate garages, claiming they don't repair faulty modules in the hybrid battery.
    What occurred to me is they will keep my original battery, surely they will then just replace the faulty modules and re-sell the original battery of mine in another Prius, or is there more to it than that?

Should I be in fact looking for anyone who will replace the modules rather than the entire battery at a cost of £450 to me?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most hybrid battery refurbishment is a scam. be very careful, due diligence and all that.

and check used car prices before deciding not to repair

7. G99

G99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----

Hi not sure what I should do then

As I cant replace the modules myself, wouldn't know what to do or have the right tools

And 3 garages claiming they wont replace modules as others then go faulty etc etc

bisco likes this.