1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burglarized Prius!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pcjr, Mar 27, 2006.

1. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Mar 29 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]231864[/snapback]</div>

pcjr--never said you were lying in my post...just commented that I didn't like the whole scam-y nature of the original post. Sorry if you were offended by my post, but I'm pretty skeptical of people who try to, IMO, pull one over on me... As for backing up data, I do it every time I'm working on my computer. When you've experienced a computer meltdown (Trash180--showing my age with that!) that destroys your entire MA thesis (like I did) you learn the hard way to back up, back up, back up!

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Mar 29 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]232192[/snapback]</div>
    Actually every time I go to your blog link, I get Sorry, We Can't Find That Page. Is the link correct?

3. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Mar 30 2006, 01:17 AM) [snapback]232192[/snapback]</div>
    I saw nothing about the fact that the woman picture is a stock photo when using the Rant template to make webpages on AOL until 21 posts into the thread, and long after people started reading the site and making comments here. It certainly wasn't in Peter's original post, which was only "Check this out:" Peter didn't point out that he was actually a man on his begging webpage when the story mentioned the "toiletry bag." Peter definitely wasn't a man when instead of dealing with a situation IF it was true, he went to Priuschat and attempted to deceive the readers into giving him at least $1 for his trajedy that he is still "reeling from."

The fact that "Candy" was also "African-American" does not paint a positive picture of an African-American either. Instead of calling the police she hung around the crime scene until she could get $15 and a Coca-cola (20 oz no less!) from the victim.

Perhaps, instead of reporting the cops that won't put down a doughnut and lift a finger to fill out the paperwork, you should be reported to the administration of the hospital you supposedly work at.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    pcjr is showing no interest in the helpful and encouraging posts on this thread, if you haven't noticed.

instead he chooses the harsher "get real" posts and replies to those. and each reply makes him sound more and more like someone who refuses to deal with real life on his own.

this sounds to me like he's desperately trying to sway our opinion, but going about it completely backwards. instead he's showing us how shallow he really is and losing any last shred of dignity he had.

edit: i apparently misread the part about the glasses, so they're eyeglasses. but hey. that's what health insurance is for. get new ones. :shrug:

either way i don't think he's impressed upon us that he's in need of, or worthy of, the money.

5. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spunky @ Mar 30 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]232306[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think pcjr's story is too far fetched to be believable, it's just not much of a story.

I rented my house to two women, one a Harvard doctor and lawyer and one supreme court lawyer from another country. Turned out they were true psychopaths and not what they said they were, never paid rent and sued me. The first thing my attorney (funny guy) did was to give me a copy of Pacific Heights (tie in to San Francisco!). It took almost a year in court fighting them, including my attorney defending himself against disciplinary proceedings started by them. They were very believable, they ripped off many people here including a mortgage lender. From here they went to the mainland and Europe and did the same thing. One guy they ripped off took it upon himself to go after them and is still pursuing them. They have many state and local police, plus FBI and Interpol investigating. If I gave out the name you would get numerous hits on the internet including where one posts occasionally defending herself against the guy going after them. She still sounds creditable unless you had dealings with her. One was also 8 months pregnant when they moved in, which we didn't know about. This is a way better story than getting your car broken into in a bad section of town.

I've had my boat and gear stolen, along with a generator and lots of other items. I got the boat back by someone telling me where to find it. He probably was the same guy who told the thieves I wasn't home. Our houses have been broken into at least half a dozen times. I've had guys get stuff back for me from the drug dealers who bought it. The last time my place was broken into, they were taking everything including toilet paper. I have lost priceless (to me) jewelery, photos, etc. I've had my insurance canceled due to losses over a 7 year period. The insurance was reinstated after doing extensive renovations to the house to make it secure including a monitored alarm. Business checks were taken and being cashed six months after I cancelled the account, the police have pictures of the people depositing my checks into their OWN account at the bank, also pictures of them at a quick check cashing place trying to cash the checks. One was finally arrested and still has not gone to trial (3 years later).

I never once considered asking anyone other than the insurance company for money to cover any of these losses. People here can probably come up with comparable losses or stories. Although, everyone finds the long version of my "psychopaths" story pretty hard to beat.

pcjr, I don't think you have much of a chance getting your stuff back, drumming up reward money, or making much money selling the story. You might want to try going to all the pawn shops in the area and telling them you lost you powerbook and will buy it back no questions asked and leave you cell phone number so they can contact you. Since you didn't "read" where to park very accurately, be thankful it didn't turn out far worse with your "read" of Candy and California, and you only loss some replaceable/fixable items.

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Mar 30 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]232551[/snapback]</div>
    :eek: Holy crap! That does sound like an awesome story! (you know what I mean, the story itself, not the woe...)

7. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 30 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]232480[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't even notice that in the earlier post! I agree, anyone who can afford $250 for a pair of sunglasses should not be begging on the internet.

I also noted that the secondary page could not be pulled up. The pictures look odd too.

Give it up Peter, go out and get a real job. (doubt full context of story, probably did some school so part of it sounds good...)

8. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Holy cow koa! I certainly don't mean this as a slam or anything, but were you Hitler in another life or something? Seems like the universe is paying you back for at least ONE of your past lives. :lol:

Seriously though...that's an incredibly bad stretch of luck and an amazing story. Since you live in Hawaii, I guess it's a nice place to visit, but not to live (with valuables anyway). ;)

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok I said I was not going to reply to this anymore.... :angry:

This is an quote from your re-edited web page.

"Anyway, at first I had planned to make this a webpage a way to raise money for a reward leading to the arrest and conviction of the burglar,(I dont remember seeing this on the original posting) and the recovery of my stolen items. However, when I let people know about this webpage at www.priuschat.com, many subscribers just got pissed, thinking it was a scam.

So now this webpage serves as the selling of a good story. If you liked this story, donate. If you do a search on eBay, you will find an Australian IT company in Sydney, whose PowerBook got stolen from their offices. They wrote a book about it that sells. The only difference is that they recovered their laptop. My laptop is still out there, somewhere.

I think most people thought a woman posted the original story due to the womans picture..

I really like Squid & Spunky's replies as they both have fit this thread to the T..

As for being us being negetive to someone attepting to scam people, thats a no brainer..

So now instead of asking for donations for the repair of your car you re-edited to say this..

So now this webpage serves as the selling of a good story. If you liked this story, donate. The proceeds go to the cost of replacing my stolen items.Perhaps I will read this story, turn it into a podcast. Then you can listen to it as if it were an audiobook. If you do a search on eBay, you will find an Australian IT company in Sydney, whose PowerBook got stolen from their offices. They wrote a book about it that sells.

I have to hand it to you your one heck of a persistant entrepreneur..

For the other repliers that have been telling the rest of us to cut some slack to the guy, (we have some in a positive & some negitive ways) maybe those who feel his plight is real should donate $5.00 to his cause. :)

10. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Oct 23 2005, 10:52 AM) [snapback]144366[/snapback]</div>
    Just a thought. Maybe sell the AVIC and video ipod to raise money for a reward.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellBoy @ Mar 30 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]232608[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm. I do have a mustache. It reads worse than the reality. Became good friends with the attorney and still laugh about those crazy women. To watch and listen to a psyhcopath lie like they are telling the truth, up close is pretty amazing. They did far greater damage to many others after we parted ways. We did win and I'm probably the only one to ever get money out of them. As far as the other thefts, I guess I was reluctant to accept that this place, like many others, is changing, never use to lock up. Besides, compared to other stuff, it's minor.

11. pcjr

pcjr New Member

My insurance covers damage to my car after a $1000 deductible. Since the replacement of the glass costs $175, and the labor costs $180, it's under $1000, I end up paying for that, until I reach $1000 in damages.

I did back up my Powerbook 2 weeks prior, just wished I backed it up the night before it got stolen.

As for HIV vaccine development, you're right, no one has come up with a successful one. The vaccine candidate that went into Phase III by Vaxgen was a total failure, probably because it was based on env protein which has already been shown by other groups to be highly shielded by glycosylation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolfire74 @ Mar 30 2006, 01:00 AM) [snapback]232203[/snapback]</div>

12. pcjr

pcjr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spunky @ Mar 30 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]232306[/snapback]</div>
    Well I think you really nailed this on the head. This was indeed my motivation, trying to fight back in some way, but some people's reactions have been even more demoralizing. Yep, my tale does seem far-fetched; I don't see how I could pick up a stranger to sit in my car at any other time, but I was really desperate at the time. Then I thought I could be an activist about this, but it's really backfired due to cynicism by others, the police, people on this board. I've never been mugged or robbed in my life. I suppose others on this board have, so they're used to the feeling and would not have gone to such measures.

13. pcjr

pcjr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Mar 30 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]232467[/snapback]</div>
    This link: http://journals.aol.com/burglarizedprius/B...rizedPriusFund/

I don't know why it didn't work for you before, it's been read over 70 times.

14. pcjr

pcjr New Member

If you read the blog link, you would have known the stock photo. Instead of telling me how deceptive I am, you should take responsibility for being so cursory in reading and just admit you made a mistake. Not only that, at this point you're just attacking me, saying that I'm not a man, etc. That's pretty puerile.

I'm not offended that Candy wanted $15. She's just operating within what she knows in order to get by, but at least she was trying to help in her own way.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Mar 30 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]232470[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 30 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]232480[/snapback]</div>
    I do find some of the posts to be very supportive, but I'm just wondering why you think I'm not allowed to defend myself against the harsher ones? Well, yet another angry responder who tends to misread things.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Mar 30 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]232567[/snapback]</div>
    Sigh, they are not sunglasses. They are prescription eyeglasses. I'm not sure why you think the pictures look odd? The blog link should work.

You're right, I will get a real job, and take responsibility. When I'm done with residency, I'll just go into private practice, refuse to accept Medicare or Medicaid, have only rich patients, and just charge a higher fee, to recoup my losses and pay for higher insurance rates for auto to get zero deductibles. There are you happy? I'll be responsible, but jaded.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Mar 30 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]232649[/snapback]</div>
    If they were a doctor or a lawyer, those are professions that can be tested. You can ask them specific medical or legal questions, and their response should be within the general practices of their profession. From a medical standpoint, you could have mentioned that your dad thought he had a heart attack, but no one's really sure, and what kind of tests would show whether he might have had one. Just ask them something, and then ask your own doctor or lawyer to verify the info. If they were con artists, I really doubt they could have had that level of medical or legal knowledge.

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Mar 30 2006, 07:51 AM) [snapback]232309[/snapback]</div>
    What are you talking about?.. I'll admit it! :lol:

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    that exactly the feeling I have.... I you would just admit that you made a mistake in asking for a handout, I would tend to want to help more....
    I hate to help those who expect it... its better to help those who don't expect it because they accept responsibility themselves.

Everyone likes helping those who accept responsibility for thier own actions and just fall into pitfalls and hard times.... "we all do".. but it gets very tiring dealing with those who expect to be helped just because they play on your pity and compassion.

I see those guys on the corner all the time... they could spend far less energy working a real job.... but they won't because its far more lucrative to beg.

People who take advantage of the mercys and compassion of others who honestly desire to help those in need are thieves and robbers if they really are ok and need to learn thier lesson.

Yea.. all of us would like free money... you can send me some any time you like, but I'm not going to try and decieve you and take advantage of the good spirit within you to live off of.

Where is the pride anymore and selfrespect?... once upon a time it was a shame and disgrace to ask for welfare if you really didn't need it out of destitution.... now - a - days people see it as free money.... free for the taking if your crafty enough and deceptive enough to fool those who care about humankind.

So you get those who could "care less" about humankind taking advantage of those who "care" about humankind.

Even if I give you the benifit of a doubt and say you just had bad judgement, after all you have heard, you should still assume resonsibility for your foolishness in choosing a 1000.00 deductible etc etc.... but all I hear is you defending yourself and still justifying your need for sympathy.

I have found that there are several kinds of people:
    1. Those who really "deserve" mercy don't expect it, and
    2. Those who deserve judgement expect mercy... and
    3. Those who expect judgement "because they accept thier actions" deserve mercy.
    I see you in the crowd that expects mercy..... Door #2.

I am somewhat protective of the prius crowd, simply because those who care about nature and the environment, often care about people too and so can be suckers for wolves.

If you have genuinely fallen prey and want sympathy... I say thats pathetic... suck it up man, take your lumps that you deserve because you could have totally avoided it if you hadn't been so cheap and just got good insurance. Everybody out here is exposed to the same dangers as you.

You still expect Mom and Dad to bail you out.

17. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Hmmm...

I wonder if this gushing river of compassion and empathy is somehow related to the political persuasion of most Prius Chatters?

But.. but... that would make PC a CONSERVATIVE site, wouldn't it??!?

:ph34r:

18. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Mar 30 2006, 05:33 AM) [snapback]232259[/snapback]</div>

:D :D :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Mar 30 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]232729[/snapback]</div>

I usally think of doctors as very educated, common sense, and responsible people. You are not, by your own actions. ;)

Are you sure your not a.... used car salesman?

19. Spunky

Spunky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OUscarb @ Mar 31 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]232857[/snapback]</div>

I think Peter is young and inexperienced, intelligent and naive. He's trained to use intellectual muscle in dealing with the world and he's probably never had that approach fail him. Ever. I'd say pcjr's world has been over-turned by this incident and our responses to it.

Used to work as a nurse, then as a lab manager in a medical school research lab. Dealt with dozens of physicians and students every day, new ones every year. Many students came from priviledged families - certainly not all - but most had parents who are physicians or in other professions.

The years of training leading to becoming a practicing physician can easily truncate other aspects of life. Imagine going straight from high school into college, then medical school and on to internships and residencies. A surgeon can be in his or her mid-thirties before s/he opens a practice. Many physicians never work any where except hospitals or clinics. They typically don't have time to figure out how other trades, or the worlds outside of medicine, work. Plus they've been taught that these other worlds are secondary to what their minds and hands can accomplish.

The failures are saddening. A few drop out of med school, some chose work other than medicine after graduation, many burn out and limp along in careers that are disappointing. It's not unusual for new docs to be carrying +$200,000 of tuition debt upon graduation. Being owned by a bank at the age of 26 before even beginning a career, causes many sleepless nights!

An experienced doc has seen us as patients, at our worst or best, seldom within our normal everyday lives. Hopefully they maintain a sense of humor, have good moral senses (impossible to teach!), and have developed a good bedside manner.

Good luck to you, Peter. You've chosen a very tough row to hoe, hope it's all worth it at the end.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spunky @ Mar 31 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]232878[/snapback]</div>
    imagine going straight from high school to college, then graduate school and postdocs (which are little more than indentured servitude), and not getting a job that pays more than starvation wages until you're about 30 and then having to deal with the load of loan debt. see a parallel?

despite living in academic hell i'm still pretty up on how the world works. sure, idealism and excitement run rampant in the very nature of academia but why should people in school be excused from understanding that the real world sucks?

doctors need to understand their patients. their patients live in the real world. otherwise, why would they be coming into the hospital as a result of an auto accident, a work related injury that they're fighting to receive compensation for, a random shooting where they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? the MD at the end of your name does not place you above all that.