1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burglarized Prius!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pcjr, Mar 27, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any physician with Spunky's stated narrow view of the world has a narrow view of the world by their own choosing. I think you can make an excuse for anyone as to why they're naive or narrow minded or whatever, but most of the physicians I know are fascinating people with incredible life experiences, diverse backgrounds, and a lot of common sense.

Yes we go through some intense and fairly continuous schooling for a long time, but we have free time, there are summer breaks for HS, College and even a little free time b/w the first and second and second and third years of med school. I, for one, spent a month in Europe (total cost $2500 paid with a loan I took out to cover the trip) after my first year of med school and found that to be one of the most mind opening experiences of my life.

I think I have a very diverse list of interests and experiences and a very broad understanding of human nature and culture. How one could grow up in a city like SF and not be a little worried when "Candy" wants a ride in your car to an ATM to get money for a reward to tell you who she saw stole your computer just completely eludes me...my 6 year old kids could tell you not to do something like that.

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The profession does not make any one person more valuable than another. That is why I don't believe in Special Circumstances for when a police officer is killed. I respect that he or she is doing a dangerous job but that life is no more or less sacred than the guy at the Mini Mart, the mom dropping her kids off to school, etc.

I love to work with Doc's who value their support staff and recognise that caring for the patient is a team effort.

I work with a population that is already underserved because of behavioral issues and Medi-Cal and Medicare reimbursement. The Docs who see our guys are awesome. I, for one, would not wish to see a physician who is in it just for the $$.

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 31 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]232908[/snapback]</div>
    True, true true... Doctors "especially surgeons" are so used to having everyone cater to them that they actually start thinking they are better than everyone else... it shows in thier attitude as you greet them down the hall.

The doctors I respect the most are the ones that take the time to say or even chit chat a few seconds from time to time with the lowely housekeepers. Those people have sucha poor self image from people looking down on them that they won't even make eye contact with you in the hall because they have grown tired and hardened from the rejection of people looking the other way.

Like I said..... if this guy was accepting his actions, I for one would give him a break because I would know he knows his lessons and are learning them hard.... but when some asks and expects to be bailed out, they are not.

All I can say furthur is anyone who expects others to be handing out to them out of compassion everytime they get a bad lot, sure better be handing out to others below them too.

Giving this guy the benifit of a doubt I won't direct my next statement at him...
    but I just get tired of those who think its all about them and have no consideration for anyone else because they were raised to be spoiled brats who are selfish and inconsiderate kinivers. Unfortunately, usually the byproduct of extreme liberal parents who don't understand basic primal human nature.

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Mar 31 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]232992[/snapback]</div>
    It has nothing to do with a dangerous job. It has to do with the symbol of authority. If a person is willing to kill a cop, they are willing to kill anyone. It would be anarchy if people could, with impunity, defy authority.

5. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I still believe that it is the circumstance of the murder (rape, torture, abuse) not the individual murdered.

6. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Mar 30 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]232729[/snapback]</div>
    Here are some facts, in case Peter can't figure them out.

Peter, a.k.a, pcjr, innocently posts a link on 3/28/2006 at 12:49 a.m., stating "Check this out:" Didn't say check out my story about my burglarized Prius, just "Check this out:" When you got to the site you saw a woman screaming and pulling her hair. There was no caption by the photo. There was no mention of the photo in the story. It was left for the reader to guess at. After the outpouring of negative responses, Peter posted that in fact it was his story about his burglarized Prius. He admitted he had tried to deceive the readers of Priuschat. Quoting Peter from Post #21, "Well, I didn't want to tell people that that webpage is mine, because I wanted to remain as anonymous as possible, and frankly I'm quite embarrassed about the whole situation." He then changed the photo of the lady pulling her hair to some photos of a Prius with glass broken. He also then mentioned, in Post #21, that the photo was in fact an "AOL provided a stock photo for the Rant template." Prior to the point in time when Peter posted Post #21, 3/28/2006 at 11:29 p.m., no mention was made of that fact.

The fact that he was a man was never indicated in the original story. It still isn't. In fact, the story made sure to mention a "toiletry bag," which he later indicated (in Post #21) that the burglar supposedly mistook for a purse. The mention of a "toiletry bag" would lead people to believe that it was a woman who had her Prius burglarized. Then of course it begged for help, as a supposedly helpless woman. So in addition to being a racist, Peter is also a sexist, portraying a woman as a helpless victim in order to get money.

I would also question the ethics of a "doctor" who would stoop to such measures in order to fleece money from people who thought they were helping an unfortunate lady victim.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Mar 31 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]233031[/snapback]</div>
    So it matters not if it's the President of the United States?

I'm with the copper here. If the issue is social status then I'm 100% with you, but certain individuals represent something greater to the glue of our society. Murdering those individuals is both symbolic and symptomatic of a much more serious problem than a random crime no matter how violent.

Let me explain, if I can, a little:
    1) Crazed idiot fires randomly into a crowd of people and kills Schmika (off duty, out of uniform sipping a beer), a homeless man, and a 3 year old kid. I say no difference in the charges, sentence, etc if instead of Schmika it had been some other random individual.

2)Jealous husband murder's Schmika for sleeping with his wife...no difference...in sentence, etc. from the random adulterer.

3)Robber in a 7-11 has a gun and screams for everyone to get on the floor. Notices Schmika in uniform on duty getting his coffee & doughnut and picks him out of the crowd shoots and kills him. I say this guy gets a much harsher punishment--he defied authority, killed someone who's literally a symbol of our civilized society and clearly would have no compunction about killing you or me at the drop of a hat.

So yea, circumstances matter, this circumstance was that not only was a human murdered, but also a symbol....same thing with out president. If the President is murdered it impacts our lives in a similar but dramatically magnified way b/c of what it represents--a threat to stability and civilization. Think how prior presidential assasinations have affected society.

Please please don't think I'm minimizing what you're saying, I just think you're somewhat missing Schmika's point. Your point is well taken as well, the brutality/callusness, etc all affect my emotional response as well.

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :huh: This belongs in Fred's House of Pancakes.

Hope our MODERATOR gets around to moving it.

9. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsd43 @ Mar 28 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]231283[/snapback]</div>
    Items in the car are only covered by your renter's/home policy. Unless the item is installed on the car and operates with the car (ie stereo). I found this out when my truck got stolen, but all my stuff added up to the deductable so it was a loss for me.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Mar 31 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]233096[/snapback]</div>
    good idea, as the content drifted it certainly became much less about the Prius.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 31 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]233062[/snapback]</div>

I hate to give you a bad name Evan :rolleyes: But all your points I agree.....
    Defying authority shows arrogance, pride, and a person that considers himself a law unto himself without subjection to anyone else except himself. Usually never understanding judgement and discipline.

Those type of folks are the most dangerous murderers because they respect no one else except themself.

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Mar 31 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]233096[/snapback]</div>
    Charles, you remind me of my Dad (may he rest in peace). He was grumpy about EVERYTHING! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Mar 31 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]233031[/snapback]</div>
    Then I hope you are against this move toward "Hate" crimes.

13. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the love of Jehovah, can this please be deleted and the original poster be deleted for trying to perpetrate(sp?) fraud on these fourms???

14. Spunky

Spunky New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 31 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]232912[/snapback]</div>

I think Peter's still a student(?); he likely hasn't had time to experience much outside prepping for med school, studying, doing research.

The med students I worked with were pretty hard core. Most were "double majoring", getting MDs and PhDs (neuroscience) within a six year period. Some got PhDs in Public Health on top of their MDs, had to pay for the addtional coursework too.

One MD/PhD programer took five months off to hike the Appalachian Trail. Everyone in the lab thought he was nuts but he survived the 2,000+ mile "walk" and then hit the research lab again, polished off his defense, got back to the last two years of med school. He shocked me one day by saying that all presidents should be perfect specimens of health, no unhealthy political leaders allowed. I told him that would have excluded most of our best presidents, including Lincoln, Washington, and Theodore Roosevelt. Yup, he said, they shouldn't have been allowed to run.

Are most of the med school students interesting? Yes. Well rounded view of the world, no. Hope they develop one but...

15. pcjr

pcjr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Mar 31 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]233056[/snapback]</div>

I'm just going to say this one more time. Even prior the discussion on Priuschat, my webpage has a link to the blog which does mention that I was replacing the stock photo with one of my actual damaged Prius. So if you took a little time to browse the webpage, you wouldn't have tripped yourself up into thinking you were deceived, expecially since the blog pre-dated the posts on this thread. Secondly, a toiletry bag is not a female-exclusive item. When you travel, where do you put your toothbrush, shaver, etc? Yes, that bag is called a toiletry bag. No wonder you have such a fragile sense of masculinity, if you think toiletry bags are women-only. In summary, your premise that I was scamming people was based entirely on poor reading comprehension. Your "facts" were limited to your oversight. Not reading my blog that I mentioned at the end of the page is a major oversight. It's like that story with the three blind men touching different parts of an elephant, and thinking it's a different animal. You glossed over key data that would have brought down your house-of-cards of an argument. Thank God you're not a scientist.

Anyway, I have clearly delineated the terms of how the donated funds would be used; it will be your choice to donate or not. If you didn't want to donate because you didn't believe the story, then fine. If you had donated, it would not have been a scam, because I would have used the money in exactly the way I had outlined in my webpage.
    What I am saying is that, I would have used the money strictly for the purpose that I had already stated, perhaps because I am honest to the fault of being naive, and I have integrity for things I set out to do. I guess it didn't really occur to me that other people would think I was lying or scamming. I guess it's hard to convey honest intent on the Internet, apparently because the default treatment is suspicion. And I suppose I do trust other people too more than I should, because people think I was crazy enough to believe Candy and pick her up. Maybe I expect people to be trusting because I am. As for ethics, maybe yours isn't so great, sub3, so you assume others' are just as bad, and for that, you're allowed to fault me on poor taste, based on your cynicism.

Okay, moving on, thanks to everyone else for the supportive comments that have evolved. Spunky is right. Admittedly, many of my peers and I have stayed in ivory towers, though there have been some who have had other lives or careers before going to med school. But I hope you will appreciate idealistic personalities as doctors. I would not have bothered spending part of my career doing HIV research if I didn't think it was possible to develop a vaccine eventually.

So, Sub3, you are the most negative person on this thread. If you really can't get it into your skull that I am who I am, then tell me where you live. If it's some place interesting, I'll let you know when I'm in town, and we can meet, and you'll get to know me in person.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Apr 1 2006, 12:33 AM) [snapback]233308[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

so how many years of wet lab experience do YOU have...? :huh:

as i mentioned, academia is full of breathless enthusiasm and idealism. you're a prime example of that. and i mean that in no negative way whatsoever. life before and during medical school hasn't jaded you because apparently you haven't had reason to mistrust anyone or anything until now. how old are you? be thankful you've lasted this long. you've a lot to learn i'm afraid.

as far as research goes, the longer you're at the bench the more cynical you get of everything. i'd add more but i don't want to get into that rant.

17. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Mar 30 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]232729[/snapback]</div>
    LOL. You need to talk to more psychopaths. At the beginning we had no reason to doubt they were who they said they were. It took us almost 6 months to convince the COURT they weren't lawyers or a doctor. They were able to file motions, get disciplinary actions taken against my attorney, have continuances granted, etc. before they hired but didn't pay an attorney. While I was in court with them and after they were evicted they were able to use my house as an asset (even after I told the bank it was MY house and not theirs and that they were con artists) to obtain a 100% mortgage loan on a new 300K house. The bank didn't get one payment and it took 18 months for them to foreclose. From here they set up a bogus law firm in New York and kept clients retainers. It goes on and on. You would have seen right through them with a few medical questions! Use those superpowers of yours for something more worthy than drumming up internet reward money. Candy get that powerbook back for you yet?

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 31 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]233062[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree with Salsawonder on this point. Yes EVEN the President of the United States. Not to sound like I'm marginalizing, but it's just a suit, it's just a uniform, worn by a person no less valuable than [you].

Anyone, even the President, can, and will be replaced, it's the idea behind them that matters, it goes well beyond a singular individual. The U.S. still managed to exist after prior assasinations. Did it impact our lives? Arguably so. I say "arguably" because even so, life won't change too much for the average Joe in Anytown, USA, who has to report to the factory every morning, you know, people like him, who represent a large swath of the US.

Killing anyone defies authority, law and order is not going to break down because of one cop. To say this person would have no compunction about killing anyone else, I think, is rather presumptious, and really depends upon the individual, the circumstances, etc., etc., etc.

I actually find this train of thought disturbing, particularly given your position. You ARE assigning value to lives, you're saying Schmika is worth more than [you], as killing him is worthy of a greater sentence. You know, the whole cop and presumed criminal get wheeled into the ER at the same time sort of thing... Now whether this vulgar, unrefined, perspective translates into action from theoretical, I suppose only you know.

19. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Apr 1 2006, 01:33 AM) [snapback]233308[/snapback]</div>
    Quoting from Peter's blog, "plans to update webpage I will post a photo of my Prius with the broken window in the next few days. I will also add entries for the latest reward amount, based on your donations (thank you)." That was posted on 3/27/2006.

Where in the blog does it mention that the photo of the lady was a stock AOL photo for the Rant template? Where does it mention that the photo of the lady will even be replaced? The truth is that it doesn't. I don't think people were decieved, I know they were. Peter admitted that himself in Post #21.

Once again, with such flawed thinking on Peter's part I think he should be reported to the medical ethics board of California (the state, not "California" the big bad burglar), or the administration of the hospital he supposedly works at. If Peter would like to meet me, why not post the hospital you work at, and when I'm in SanFrancisco I'll stop in and lodge a complaint in person.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcjr @ Mar 31 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]233308[/snapback]</div>
    Wait a minute..... I thought I was the most negative??? :(