1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burn Gas Just to See MPG?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mr88cet, Jul 8, 2017.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    To be or not to be...

It occurred to me the other day that I have no idea what sort of mileage my P.Prime gets in town, because I'm pretty much always driving it on electric. I'm debating whether I'm interested enough to deliberately burn some gas for a couple days (eeeew!).

Now, I do know what sort of mileage it gets on the open highway, thanks to a Austin->Houston->Austin road trip. On the pure-hybrid mode, 75MPH, A/C-on, headlights-on return trip, it got 55.8MPG. Our gen-2 rarely got any better than 42ish at those sorts of speeds. I'm still not sure my road-trip experience agrees with the alleged 640-mile range, however.

Anyway, perhaps what I'll do is wait another month or so, when the quarter-tank of gas starts getting a tad stale. Might be worthwhile to burn a gallon or so?

iPhone ? Pro

2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You would probably need to carry an external gas can to test out that theory. When I went out west I got about 44 MPG but had to fill up after 420 miles. Fill up was about 9.560 gallons and the tank capacity is 11.5? I was too chicken to go any further since the low fuel indicator kept nagging me:eek:

#2 priuscatprimeguy, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or you could look it up:
    [​IMG]
    These are steady state, standard day values.

When you do your test, setup a video camera to record the trip showing a trip meter and MPG. Then play it back frame-by-frame to record the speed, MPG, and distance for each 1/10th mile. This will give insights to the fuel burn as a function of the driving profile.

Here is an example: Prius Prime Plus in my hands | Page 21 | PriusChat

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  4. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I now see how Toyota came up with 640 miles .......11.5 gallon capacity times 54 MPG = 621 Miles + 25 miles EV = 646 Miles total (in theory of course!):cool:

bwilson4web likes this.