1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burned out "Headlights On Indicator Light" in dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by levertz, Apr 7, 2007.

1. levertz

levertz Junior Member

Our ABS and VSC lights came on and our Headlight On Indicator Light went off one day so we took the 04 Prius to the dealer. We were told we had some slight pack rat damage to the wiring harness that would cost $10,349 to replace the wiring harness. When we involved the insurance company, the price dropped to $7, 439. However, when the adjuster looked at it, he said it only needed repairs costing $258.69. Toyota wouldn't do it so we had to take it to a certified auto electrical repair shop. They fixed it and everything works fine, except for the Headlights On Indicator Light. Dealer's top Prius technician said we did not have any wiring for that functionality, even though it was in the owners manual. Told them we had been looking at that light for 31/2 years! After 3 days of diagnostics, they finally found it as an LED light on a wire in the dash. They have to pull out the entire dash and then in order to replace, they have to replace all the lights on the string. The want $545 to replace the LED light telling me my headlights are on. We have an extended warranty, but they claim it's not covered.
    Has anyone had any trouble with indicator lights going out on the dash?

2. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to type and roll on the floor laughing at the same time!

...no wiring with that functionality... :lol:

Gimme a break!

On topic, I haven't had any lights burn out yet (knock on plastic).

Since it's pretty easy to see whether or not the lights are on, I would
    probably tell them what to do with their 'string of lights'. <_<

I would be more concerned about a burned out foglight indicator.
    Oh wait, there is no wiring with that functionality. :)

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    rat damage is of course not covered by warranty. the LED shorted out and burned out. this should be covered by the insurance company related to the rat damage. if they won't cover it, then you have to ask yourself whether it's worth that kind of money to have a headlight indicator. LEDs themselves in the dash are too small to change individually, they come on little boards and the whole board is replaced. i mean, if you've got the equipment and want to screw around, i suppose it can be done. but practically, you can't get those individually anyway.

4. jswalt2

jswalt2 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 10 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]421148[/snapback]</div>

Another note, I had a rat chew thru the windshield washer hose and the hose attachment. The dealer replaced it all (one time only). Suggested I put out a rat trap in my garage to catch any rats before the start eating my prius one chomp at a time.

5. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I always drive with the headlights on, so I sure wish mine would burn out so I didn't have to look at it anymore...

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Apr 12 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]422160[/snapback]</div>
    Just because you want it, that light will NEVER burn out and it will be the last thing that still works in the car. :p

7. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 12 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]422285[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Jim... you're right. Especially after I;ve said it out loud. People all over the Pacific NW have me to blame for the rain last Saturday. Predictions were for a gorgeous weekend, but then I went and washed my car...

8. kpgresk

kpgresk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dashboard "Headlights On" indicator light went out after 5 years on 2013 Prius C 4. I'm just starting a search on how to replace it. I saw a "tip" somewhere on "how to remove the dashboard with a credit card." (Assuming--not to pay for the removal !)