1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burned-out LEDs in Prius brake lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Troy Heagy, May 22, 2013.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've noticed some Prius G3 cars with burned-out LEDs. Yesterday I saw one with just one "square" of LEDs burned-out, and today I saw one with the left-most row (5 squares vertical) inactive but the other 7 still working. Do cops pull-over owners if the brake light still works, but is partially burned out?

How much is the replacement cost? I imagine it isn't cheap. I would hate to be stuck with a huge cop-induced bill because only 1 or 2 squares were unlit, but the brakelight worked otherwise (alerts drivers you are stopping).

2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm shopping for a Prius G3. I'd really like an answer before I lay-down a lot of money, so I can estimate future maintenance costs. (Well not that much: ~$10,000 used.)

3. Kore971

Kore971 PEDD-CESC

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think as long as it lights up the cops shouldn't bother you.., unless the whole assembly is out...

4. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Correct in Florida the whole light must be out.