1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burning 3.9qts every 1000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Fatmatt86, Dec 5, 2018.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol, maybe check the facts before you hit "post reply" ! The title of this post is:
    An engine doesn't just magically fix itself and stop burning oil at that rate... OP is lying to themselves and everyone else about the oil burning rate of late and here you are cheering on their lie?

The OP clearly states they are way, way beyond the threshold of burning 1 quart every 600 miles, yet we got 7.8 billion humans on the planet that like you think the way to address climate change is to pretend that facts don't matter and as long as they are cheerleaders for liars, like you, there will never be any consequences despite the fact climate change has already caused a trillion dollars in damages world-wide. So sick of this incredibly stupid and wrong headed BS that's entirely antithetical to what inspired the creation of the Prius in the first place!

#181 PriusCamper, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Camper wrote in post #181:
    Lol, maybe check the facts before you hit "post reply" ! The title of this post is:

Easy, killer. So now I'm a cheerleader for liars. That's an interesting reach. The OP in post #174 clearly states:

At least in the last 4 months it seems to have fixed itself or at least to where it's not burning as much. It now goes through about 2 quarts every 3000 miles, which is a lot better than what it used to be where it was burning 3 quarts every thousand miles.

So, perhaps I actually read his post. He has no reason to lie. He was trying various things to make it better. Following your logic that he is untrustworthy, maybe he was lying about the 3.9? An engine that is a massive consumer of oil can easily improve. Sometimes as simple as a stuck ring becoming unstuck. My 2007, purchased with 143k miles, was eating a quart between 5k mile oil changes. Should I have installed a new engine? Now, a few years later at 220k miles and after many on time, decent quality oil changes, I have an insignificant change on the dipstick between oil changes. Maybe I'm lying also, who knows.

Not everyone buys these cars to save the world. Maybe he bought it for the mpg. Maybe he just loves the style. Perhaps many other people did the same. Don't have an aneurism because not everyone has your same beliefs. Maybe people use what they can afford? Can you give him a new car? Maybe all the people that truly want to be green can back up their talk and start walking? Maybe give him your car and you buy a bike or a few good sets of shoes?

What if someone started talking BS to you for damaging the environment because they're more green than you? Will you do their bidding? Maybe you can get a horse and wagon? Make your own clothes? Get rid of the cell phone? The computer? What about those pesky refrigerators? AC units? Heat pumps? Maybe even something as bad as a furnace, like the 10's of millions in cold areas that burn fuel oil for heat in cold weather? You go camping in the woods with your prius? Why is that? Is it really green? Isn't that damaging something? Maybe the exhaust is giving a squirrel cancer? Maybe you ran over a frog? There's all kinds of levels of green. Just because everyone doesn't match yours doesn't mean they're wrong.

#182 TMR-JWAP, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Frequent oil changes can reduce oil consumption

the detergents in most quality brands of oil will remove residue which over time could fix a stuck ring,

No magic here

Fatmatt86 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's in the Owner's Manuals. Seemed really ballsy to me; my first thought: they should be obligated to put that in the Sales Brochures. Anyway, that's one "on the record" statement. On the other hand:

With third gen there was a Technical Service Bulletin for excessive oil consumption, and there the test criteria was one quart in 1100~1300 miles. If you met that criteria, AND had less than 60K miles (good luck with that...), you qualified for a complete engine overhaul, new pistons and rings.

See attached:

Attached Files:

Prius Rising likes this.
  5. drone13

drone13 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in agreement with that for myself. My OCD would tie me in knots and my head would likely explode. But I'm not an SJW for others that don't. Just isn't any of my business. It's pretty much up to the state to rectify that and in Texas apparently, they don't even check for O2 spacers.

TBH, I have no idea how much veracity I should ascribe to the OP. The amount of oil he has been burning and especially the amount of times he has been supposedly "out of oil" as he has listed them just doesn't tally with reliability. I look at the entire thread as a troll and don't really care one way of the other. Meh.

6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, 309,000....way to go little Toyota engine!

Last I tried, I'm, still, not able to walk on water so no judgey from me. Keep on keeping on, brother!

Prius Rising likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No it's not crazy at all.
    IF you know and understand why the Toyota "spec" is what it is.
    Hint: $$$$$

8. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wasn't lying about the improved burning rate. Perhaps it is because I drive it way less than I used to back when I originally posted. I now just drive it 18 miles round trip each day to work and back averaging 40mph on that route, so maybe just maybe with less usage mixed in with lower speed limits may contribute to it burning less. I'm not a rocket scientist, just stating what I observe- oil lasting longer.

I did however drive the Prius on a long trip last week and it burned/ consumed the oil much quicker. So the problem didn't magically fix itself, at least for long trips.

Back when I originally posted this thread, the Prius was my only car, so I drove it everywhere, and also sat in it everyday while in idle for an hour during my lunch breaks with the AC on full blast. Every since I started a new job back in October I have noticed less oil being burned, but that's probably because I no longer let it idle for long periods like I used to. Less the engine is on the less oil it burns, right?

I could care less about the environment. This car was my brothers and just had 6 payments left on it so I took over the payments and kept the car. As my family grew, I bought a second vehicle and now just drive the Prius to work and back.

I promise I am not trolling this page as some have stated. I originally posted to see what I could do to help improve the oil consumption. After failed attempts with no real improvement, I came to the conclusion that just gonna ride it out and let it be. I have no intention on adressimg the oil consumption problem anymore, I've learned to live with it.

For those who think I'm full of BS, or would just like to see the Prius in person, I live on White Settlement Texas just west of Fort Worth. Meet up and see for yourself. The Prius runs and drives and functions as normal. Doesn't smoke or smell of burning oil and there is no big puddle of oil in my driveway.

#188 Fatmatt86, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2022
    Prius Rising likes this.
  9. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm curious to know If the people who suggested swapping the engine to address the burning oil problem feel the same way as vehichles who use excessive amounts of gas? Should everyone out there who gets poor gas mileage also swap their engines if they no longer get the MPG stated in their owners manual?

I just don't see the benefit of swapping an engine spending $800 on a used engine and another $700 for Labor to install the new engine When $1,500 can buy me 500 quarts of oil, Which essentially will last me 375,000 miles in oil. I drive about 100 miles a week, and if I continue to only drive 100 miles a week, that equates to About 72 more years of driving. Also with a engine swap there is a possibility of the replacement engine being bad and then I lose the labor cost to overhaul the engine. I'm content with my Prius in it's current state and enjoy getting 38-40MPG with these gas prices.

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Didn't read the whole thread but I had a 92 Tercel that burned a quart every 300 miles. It was standard procedure for me to put in a quart after getting gas. Don't know what the cost for engine replacement was back in 2000 on an 8 year old Tercel but I chose to pour in a quart of the cheapest thickest 20w50 I could find.

There was a little drip but no giant puddle. A little grey smoke at startup but once warmed up, it drove like any Tercel that vibrates like crazy. Something obviously wrong with the engine. No black smoke that I could see.

I was getting 30 mpg and if you think about it, the car gets a "new set" of oil every month at 1200 miles intervals. I actually started pouring in used oil from the oil changes.

So I agree with what you are doing and I think there is an environmental aspect to replacing an your engine. There was an eco cost to fabricate the replacement engine. Even used, that engine could've gone to a vehicle that is completely inoperable. Is one more eco than the other? I don't know. I'd like to see some data before I fork over $1500 for the repair.

Prius Rising, dolj and Fatmatt86 like this.
  11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Of note, the 92 Tercel would've had a late variant of the 1.5L Toyota E engine, direct predecessor of the NZ in @Fatmatt86's Prius.

Maybe the apple didn't fall far from the tree?

Fatmatt86 and mmmodem like this.
  12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Haha, nice connection there!

Of note, that Tercel had rock solid reliability. It never left me stranded over 200k oil burning miles. Always started up right away and AC blew ice cold even if it saps away a third of whatever is remaining of the 70? or so hp rating of the engine. While it may have eventually succumbed to death by oil sludge, it was taken out by an errant vehicle running a stop sign at somewhere north of 220k.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally irresponsible logic... A car with bad gas mileage that is within spec is not broken... A car that's burning huge amounts of motor oil is BROKEN and is causing 10 times the amount of air pollution the worst MPG vehicle on the road gets. You're not only coal rolling in a Prius but you've fouled your catalytic converter and are about to blow the flange gasket.

Here at PriusChat we help people fix their cars, not celebrate how extreme their denial is for driving one that would be taken off the road in most states if it were emissions tested.

14. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In the state of Texas were I reside, the Prius does go through a emissions test every year. I've changed the Catalytic Converter twice in the last five years and just passed safety and emissions test at the regular old inspection place my state requires back in May. No check engine lights or nothing on this Prius and it is currently up to 313,139 miles at the time of this post. The car still passes emissions testing.

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you changed the cat twice in five years and not mentioned theft you're obviously getting a warning light, as well as polluting on a massive scale but are smart enough to time your emissions inspection before the cat has been fouled... How many miles per catalytic converter replacements are you planning for/averaging?

16. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ever change the PCV valve? One that isn't working too well would (probably) eventually destroy the cat, although I think you would notice it first as oil consumption. Heck, at 313K miles it wouldn't surprise me if some of the cylinders are worn or scored, or if some of the rings are stuck.

17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Does one of the tests involve catching the oil that is dripping out of the tail pipe to see how much there is ??
    :eek:
    You are just being irresponsible here......or your whole story is just BS.:rolleyes:

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Famous last words. LOL:ROFLMAO:

bisco, Fatmatt86 and SFO like this.
  19. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've
    I've changed the PCV valve and the OCV valve awhile back but it didn't help

20. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    March 2021 was the last time the check engine light was for emissions. The check engine light comes on periodically but it's always related to the coolant control valve which I have changed out 3 times. 8DE3234A-3884-4FAD-9E06-C47F836BA241.png 8DE3234A-3884-4FAD-9E06-C47F836BA241.png 1479679F-9E2B-4DE2-A4B3-AD08C9C98D71.png

Attached Files: