1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Burning fuel like crazy..

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jesse Elledge, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Jesse Elledge

Jesse Elledge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My 03 Prius is not performing as it did when I first purchased it in 2015. The consumption monitor shows that I'm getting the same gas mileage as always (39 mpg), but I'm positive that I've been filling it up more although it's being driven less. I tested my HV Battery and all the cells are good.

1. Why am I getting less mileage per gallon all of the sudden?
    2. Why isn't my consumption display giving me accurate information?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    honestly, how can we tell anything, if you aren't willing to measure the mpg at the pump?

Raytheeagle and WilDavis like this.
  3. Jesse Elledge

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would estimate that it's more like 25 mpg. I haven't done exact measurements, but that doesn't mean that the car isn't burning more fuel than before. I drive it less and I'm filling up more.

4. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Please consider that your fuel gauge may be reading empty when there is still fuel in the tank, possibly causing you to stop for fuel more often. If the tank was ever siphoned, or if the gauge float in the tank is going bad, that could be the issue. You may still be getting good fuel mileage, but filling up earlier than you had been.

Jesse Elledge and jerrymildred like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is certainly possible that your gauge broke and the car is burning more gas at the same time. but to determine the cause over the internet with no information might prove to be difficult.
    how many miles on her, and what services has she had?

WHCSC likes this.
  6. Jesse Elledge

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The car has 159,000 miles on it. All required maintenance taken care of. I had a bad cell in the Hybrid Battery that was replaced and has been working fine since. I can see a noticeable difference in MPG when my tires are filled to spec so I make sure to stay on top of that.