1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Bryher Herak

Bryher Herak New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently had an oil leak in my 2011 prius 3. The local dealer replaced the timing chain cover and fixed the oil leak. I drove my prius for 4,000 miles and the low oil pressure message came on. I took it to the dealer who said it was completely out of oil and that it is burning oil but they don't know where or why and their only recommendation is that i change the oil every 3,000 miles. this seems crazy. does anyone know why a 2011 prius would be burning so much oil? i don't see black smoke or leaks.

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    they didn't fix it right/
    tell them to man up, stand to their fixing mistake & get it done right//

PHDRPH, bisco and JC91006 like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes that repair you paid for was a waste of money, didn't correct the problem

You shouldn't pay for bad/false diagnosis

You'll probably need another engine if it gets really bad. Mine burns 1qt every 3000 miles

4. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius shouldn't be burning any oil, so for that service writer to tell you to just change your oil every 3k miles is bad customer service. They should really check up on why it's burning oil, my vehicle has 114k miles and it's not even burning any oil by the 10k miles mark. you should call the Toyota corporate and see if they can replace your engine, I believe there was an issue like yours on this forum where the person had their engine replaced because their engine was burning oil and to resolve the issue, the dealer replaced their engine.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first of all, welcome!

2) are you certain there was an oil leak?

3) you need to start monitoring the oil level yourself. if you don't know how, you should learn, it's easy, and could save you thousands of dollars in repairs. start by checking it once a week. as you become comfortable that it isn't going down the fast, you can start stretching the inspection frequency, until you get a handle on what is actually happening.

4) once you know how many miles you can drive until you are down one quart, come back with the info, and we can advise further.

5) all the best!(y)

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you have a 2010 or 2011? You have it noted you own a 2010, but posted you have a 2011?

7. Mark8007

Mark8007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same problem with my 2010 Prius.... My dealer told me he is seeing a lot of Prius 's with this problem he thinks Toyota is going to recall this engine soon. The Camry and Rav4 has already been recalled for this problem defective rings and pistons. So I'm waiting............

8. penny

penny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there any news on the Prius Burning Oil issue?

My today:

-Low Oil Pressure light flashed on going round corner fast
    - Went to dealer immediately, oil very low, below the first line on the stick
    -they changed oil and that was it. Not much advise, sent me on my not so merry way.

How bad is this? I'm a bit brassed off. 2010 Prius, 77k miles, no other issues and love the car, but this sounds bad.

How long can you just keep topping up on OW20 oil say every 3 months? Does the oil burn tend to get worse over time?

Now mulling over getting rid of car. Not happy camper!

Appreciate any thoughts or advice! Read through ton of other threads that this seems to be a problem esp for Gen 3 2010 or so?!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should learn how to check your oil, and do it every time you gas up. keep it yopped up, and you'll be fine.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. PHDRPH

PHDRPH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What year Prius would have this engine ?

iPhone ?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Third Generation: 2010 through 2015.

12. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just check your oil ... not too many years ago 1qt in 3k miles would be fantastic.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. tImmarcy

tImmarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was told the same thing by my dealership in late 2018. Guess they’re taking their sweet time getting a recall issued if this has been going on this long. They told me to check the oil and top off as necessary in between changes and just wait for the recall.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there will be no recall

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Vspink

Vspink New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 with 132000 miles and it is burning up oil. I have needed oil added 3 times in the last 2 weeks. No leaks. I was also told by dealer when it first started to occur, that "we are seeing a lot of Prius cars with same problem. They keep wondering when a recall will be issued. Keep an eye on the oil add when needed."

I know have to take my car in weekly to have it checked. This is just ridiculous

16. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Use only TIER 1 gas and synthetic oil. Your oil control rings may be clogged due to carbon. A known problem. Some people have had some success by running Techron for a few tanks to dissolve the carbon. I have always used Tier 1 gas and synthetic oil and 110k later, no oil usage. Toyota Prius Problems and Common Complaints | Toyota Parts Center Blog

orenji likes this.